Professional Web Applications Themes

OT: McNealy: Solaris is our Queen - Sun Solaris

[ hold your hand over his picture, lest you be turned into enamel ] http://news.com.com/2008-1012_3-5079117.html The new strategy under the Sun Thus Spake McNealy: # # We are moving through the hierarchy of enlightenment. Call it # "McMaslow's hierarchy of IT enlightenment" to self-actualization, # where you just use the stuff in the same way you just use # telephone switches and you just use nuclear power plants and # you use the Hoover Dam, without having to know how to work it. # # This is why I crack up when I learn my third-grader's learning # how to ...

  1. #1

    Default OT: McNealy: Solaris is our Queen

    #
    # We are moving through the hierarchy of enlightenment. Call it
    # "McMaslow's hierarchy of IT enlightenment" to self-actualization,
    # where you just use the stuff in the same way you just use
    # telephone switches and you just use nuclear power plants and
    # you use the Hoover Dam, without having to know how to work it.
    #
    # This is why I crack up when I learn my third-grader's learning
    # how to program. I want to go in and tell them, are you teaching
    # him how to program a telephone switch, too? Or work a nuclear
    # power plant? It's just a continuum.

    Ugh, woakay.

    Thus Spocked McNealy:
    #
    # Open source doesn't matter. It doesn't matter where the bits came from.
    # It matters if it has open interfaces, if it interoperates. You only
    # care: Does it fit in, does it plug in, does it interoperate, does it
    # plug and play?
    #
    # Actually, the scary part about open source is you don't know where the
    # code came from because nobody will indemnify it. And so we use open
    # source as a technology company to build systems. You saw us build Mad
    # Hatter (Sun's Linux desktop software) almost entirely out of open-source
    # components. You shouldn't try this at home, because you don't have an
    # intellectual property nal to fight a SCO (Group) or a Microsoft or
    # somebody else if they came after you, and as a media company you can't
    # ignore copyright.

    Ugh, it's open source so "don't try this at home?"

    What's wrong with this picture?

    Thus Splattered McNealy:
    #
    # If I have a smart card to authenticate myself to the cable
    # network, and they know who I am, and they know I'm allowed to
    # look at Room 33 in Ormondale School, then only those parents
    # who have kids in the school are allowed to look in.
    #
    # If you have multifactor authentication, like Java card, then
    # there is no privacy issue. I shouldn't be allowed on the grounds
    # unless I have a Java card, I'd feel like my kids were in a safer
    # environment if they had to have multifactor identification to
    # get on the grounds at my kid's school.
    #
    # Absolute anonymity breeds irresponsibility. Audit trails and
    # authentication provide a much more civil society. I'm just a
    # total believer in that.

    And so we're not going to be allowed to travel around the country
    domestically without a virtual internal passport --- yea terrorists
    and our own government. And McNealy. Fear, Loathing and Suspicion.
    http://wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,60502,00.html

    McNealy Finale:
    #
    # Q: Will there come a point where the x86 version of Solaris is
    # going to outship Linux?
    #
    # I can't make predictions.

    I hope no one was taking a sip of anything while reading that.

    #
    # Q: The software makers seem to be writing to Linux.
    #
    # They're writing to Java. And most of the applications written
    # to Linux are running on the app server in Java. You don't write
    # to the operating system anymore because then it's stuck on that
    # OS. You want to write it to the Java level of abstraction because
    # then it runs on the smart card, it runs on the set-top box, it
    # runs on the game machine, it runs on multiple versions of Unix,
    # it runs on multiple versions of Linux, it runs on Mac, it runs
    # on every server running J2EE on the planet. The kernel doesn't
    # matter.

    Most apps for Linux are written in Java?

    Everything will "run on the Mac"...I'm looking forward to my dual-G5.

    -am © 2003
    Anthony Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OT: McNealy: Solaris is our Queen

    On 20 Sep 2003, Anthony Cypherpoopies Mandic wrote:

    If you drive, that's already the situation (more or less,
    depending on state or province I guess). Don't believe me?
    Check out the cop's reaction when you don't give him your
    driving license when he asks for it...

    Now, admittedly a driver's license with a photo is easier
    to fake than a Javacard, but the virtual internal passport
    is already here - and has been for years.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Guest

  3. #3

    Rich Teer <com> wrote:

    > If you drive, that's already the situation (more or less,
    > depending on state or province I guess). Don't believe me?
    > Check out the cop's reaction when you don't give him your
    > driving license when he asks for it...[/ref]

    That's not considered anything like a virtual passport,
    inasmuch as we accept that driving is a privilege.

    What's really strange is that New Jersey now only accepts their
    own pre-digital driver's license as only one point of ID for
    getting another one.

    You pretty much have to have your birth certificate or passport
    to get a driver's license now, and it takes a birth certificate to
    get a passport.

    Catch-22: many places won't mail you your birth certificate anymore.

    What's a domestic terrorist^W^W citizen to do?

    I live in NY and have a ten-year license, phew.
    Cypherpunk@nyc.rr.com Guest

  4. #4

    On 20 Sep 2003 11:40:16 GMT Anthony Cypherpoopies Mandic <com> wrote:

    Yes.

    Most apps are inhouse applications (never sold on the open market).
    Most of them are written in Java these days.

    /fc
    Frank Guest

  5. #5

    At Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:07:06 -0700, Frank Cusack <com> writes:

    Quite true.

    I'm skeptical. *Most* inhouse apps? But how could you prove such a
    thing, anyway?
    Paul Guest

  6. #6

    In article <twinsun.com>,
    Paul Eggert <com> writes:

    > Quite true.

    > I'm skeptical. *Most* inhouse apps? But how could you prove such a
    > thing, anyway?[/ref]

    Most software is written for in-house use by companies.
    Companies provide figures to researchers and ysts to
    cover things like the programming languages they use.
    Java took over from C++ (IIRC, around 4 years ago) as the
    primary programming langauge. This probably isn't the case
    with most commercially available software, but most software
    isn't available commercially, which is why you may not see
    as many java applications as you expect. You are however
    extremely likely to be using java applications unaware, but
    not necessarily when you are sitting at your computer.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Consultant Software Engineer

  7. #7

    demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:

    C++ took the lead back a while ago according to what I hear
    --
    Chris Morgan <cm at mihalis.net> http://www.mihalis.net
    Temp sig. - Enquire within

  8. #8

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:07:06 -0700, Frank Cusack <com> wrote:

    Too much fantasy.

    *plonk*

    A plus jamais
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
    Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

  9. #9

    On 21 Sep 2003 09:14:31 GMT, Andrew Gabriel <demon.co.uk> wrote:

    And C/C++ replaced Java at the top again this year.

    A bientot
    Paul

  10. #10

    Rich Teer wrote:

    > If you drive, that's already the situation (more or less,
    > depending on state or province I guess). Don't believe me?
    > Check out the cop's reaction when you don't give him your
    > driving license when he asks for it...
    >
    > Now, admittedly a driver's license with a photo is easier
    > to fake than a Javacard, but the virtual internal passport
    > is already here - and has been for years.[/ref]

    What I'd like to know is where Plugger parks his trailer in
    New York. At least he doesn't have to worry about taking out
    the trash, I suppose. So his Mac comes in useful after all.

    -am 2003

    Anthony Guest

  11. #11

    In article <netpratique.fr>,
    Paul Floyd <0.0.1> wrote:

    >Too much fantasy.[/ref]

    I work for a large company that does an enormous amount of in-house
    development, and it's exclusively Java. Anyway, it's a single data point,
    but it's a big one :)

    Fun,

    Mark
    Mark Guest