Professional Web Applications Themes

OT - Need access to this group? - Photography

If anyone is interested in a free Usenet server...to access any of the four new groups in the rec.photo.digital hierarchy, I will pass on the information to you by e-mail. Just send an e-mail to woodchuck.bill[AT], along with a brief explanation of why you cannot currently access these groups (ISP does not offer the groups, former AOL/Berlin, tired of using Google Groups, etc.). I will try to get as many people as possible hooked up with free reading and posting access, as long as I receive the request no later than March 10. Please do not repost this. :-) [Followups ...

  1. #1

    Default OT - Need access to this group?

    If anyone is interested in a free Usenet server...to access any of
    the four new groups in the rec.photo.digital hierarchy, I will pass
    on the information to you by e-mail. Just send an e-mail to
    woodchuck.bill[AT], along with a brief explanation of why
    you cannot currently access these groups (ISP does not offer the
    groups, former AOL/Berlin, tired of using Google Groups, etc.).

    I will try to get as many people as possible hooked up with free
    reading and posting access, as long as I receive the request no
    later than March 10. Please do not repost this.

    :-)

    [Followups set to alt.test]

    --

    Bill
    Woodchuck Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OT - Need access to this group?

    Woodchuck Bill wrote:

    b-but... if they can't currently access these groups, how will they
    ever read this message? Confused, would we?

    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Woodchuck Bill Wrote:

    FYI

    This group and several others can also be accessed FREE at th

    following url

    _http://talkphoto.net/foru

    _They have a Usenet gateway there for Photo related groups. Join u

    (free) and you can also post tothese groups

    --
    admin
    admin Guest

  4. #4

    "Bob Harrington" <net> wrote in message
    | Woodchuck Bill wrote:
    || If anyone is interested in a free Usenet server...to access any of
    || the four new groups in the rec.photo.digital hierarchy, I will pass
    || on the information to you by e-mail. Just send an e-mail to
    || woodchuck.bill[AT], along with a brief explanation of why
    || you cannot currently access these groups (ISP does not offer the
    || groups, former AOL/Berlin, tired of using Google Groups, etc.).
    |
    | b-but... if they can't currently access these groups, how will they
    | ever read this message? Confused, would we?

    Not if they are accessing via a paid service. Bob is offering a free service.

    --
    Dave

    David Guest

  5. #5

    "admin" <Newsgroup.Gateway> wrote in message
    | Woodchuck Bill Wrote:
    || If anyone is interested in a free Usenet server...to access any of
    || the four new groups in the rec.photo.digital hierarchy, I will pass
    || on the information to you by e-mail. Just send an e-mail to
    || woodchuck.bill[AT], along with a brief explanation of why
    || you cannot currently access these groups (ISP does not offer the
    || groups, former AOL/Berlin, tired of using Google Groups, etc.).
    |
    | FYI,
    |
    | This group and several others can also be accessed FREE at the
    |
    | following url;
    |
    | _http://talkphoto.net/forum
    |
    | _They have a Usenet gateway there for Photo related groups. Join up
    |
    | (free) and you can also post tothese groups.
    |

    | --
    | admin

    Web front-ends to UseNet stink (sorry). You can't examine headers nor search with greater
    flexibility and the content stays on the server, UseNet clients keep the content local.

    --
    Dave

    David Guest

  6. #6

    Bob Harrington wrote:

    Some people are reading this ng via webpages such as Google groups.
    Bill is offering access to a usenet server.

    Alan Guest

  7. #7

    "Bob Harrington" <net> wrote in news:BtqdnaTXQNM-
    com:

    > b-but... if they can't currently access these groups, how will they
    > ever read this message?[/ref]

    Thank you for honoring my followup header. <s> I didn't want this to
    turn into a commentary thread, but since you brought it up...

    -Some readers of this group currently access it via a web interface,
    such as Google Groups or one of the photography websites. These sites
    have their purposes, but many people would prefer to access this group
    via a traditional newsreader.

    -Some workplaces block web access to search engines like Google, but
    permit NNTP access.

    -AOL recently dropped Usenet access for all of their customers...many
    of these people have switched to using a web interface but would prefer
    to use a newsreader instead.

    -The Free University Of Berlin (news.individual.net) will be deleting
    all free accounts on April 1, 2005...these users currently have access,
    but only for several more weeks.

    -There are still a good number of ISPs and NSPs that do not carry this
    group.

    -I know of at least 2 people who access this group via a traditional
    newsreader, but they only have reading access on their current
    server...they cannot post. I'm sure there are others in this position.

    Just a few examples.

    Not in the least.

    --

    Bill
    Woodchuck Guest

  8. #8

    On this subject, if you don't mind paying a $3.95 setup fee and
    occasionally dealing with server outages, TeraNews does a fairly good
    job providing NNTP service for free. www.teranews.com

    If you're worried about the credit card, if your credit card provider
    (like Citibank) has a one-time use credit card number service, that is
    useful to protect your account from fraud.
    Brian Guest

  9. #9

    Woodchuck Bill wrote:

    >> b-but... if they can't currently access these groups, how will they
    >> ever read this message?[/ref]
    >
    > Thank you for honoring my followup header. <s> I didn't want this to
    > turn into a commentary thread, but since you brought it up...[/ref]

    It was posted to this group so I replied to this group; at the time, I
    wasn't sure last night if it might not even be some kind of hoax/troll
    until I read the replies this afternoon; my response was intended to be
    at least a little humorous - my apologies for any offense given.
    Indeed, your offer is very generous!

    > Not in the least.[/ref]

    Then that makes one of us... ;^)

    Bob ^,,^

    Bob Guest

  10. #10

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    Amen. I just don't get it with AOL and others talking like Usenet is
    ancient technology and no longer relevant. Granted it is one of the
    oldest Internet protocols, but (along with mailing-lists) it is the
    easiest way to read and participate in threaded discussions. I can't
    stand most (if not all) web discussion boards. It's impossible to see
    what you have and have not read. Many of them hide deeply nested threads
    so you have to click through multiple layers to see the whole
    discussion. It's extremely bersome and a huge pain.

    Web access to Usenet in particular stinks because they usually make it
    more difficult to trace offenders. All you need is a throw-away email
    address and you can post spam and other abuses all you want. If they
    block the account, you just get a different throw-away email address.

    I do wish they would evolve Usenet to use some type of user
    authentication, so you can point a definite finger at spammers and
    abusers, making people accountable for what they do (which is a big
    problem in general: That is, in large anonymous societies, It's
    difficult to make people accountable, so they behave as if they aren't).

    Most of the big news providers (<giganews.com>, <newsguy.com>, etc), do
    provide good filtering. In fact that is one of the main benefits to
    using one of those instead of AOL or BellSouth, etc. They do better
    administrative work, keeping a lot of spam off the groups. And there not
    unreasonably priced. It's not perfect, but better.

    Randy.
    Randy Guest

  11. #11

    "Bob Harrington" <net> wrote in

    Sorry for sounding snappy...I totally understand. I was on the founding
    team with Thad and Alan, and I'd like to see the groups thrive. That's
    all! :-)

    --

    Bill
    Woodchuck Guest

  12. #12

    "Bob Harrington" <net> a écrit dans le message de

    > b-but... if they can't currently access these groups, how will they
    > ever read this message? Confused, would we?[/ref]

    mmm, are you a noob or what ? Google news is the way when u cant access
    groups.

    Chuck Guest