Professional Web Applications Themes

OT: pcl command to set resolution - SCO

Does anyone know if there is a PCL command to set a printer desired resolution? or, I know there is a PJL command, which I am using for the moment. Can anyone say how universal PJL is? Is it pretty much available in any printer (or software) that interprets PCL? But I would prefer a simpler pcl command that didn't need to be within a pjl enter/exit block. (I don't want to have to add the pjl exit commands at the end of a print job.) And hopefully something that is common and likely to be supported by as many ...

  1. #1

    Default OT: pcl command to set resolution

    Does anyone know if there is a PCL command to set a printer desired
    resolution?

    or, I know there is a PJL command, which I am using for the moment.
    Can anyone say how universal PJL is? Is it pretty much available in
    any printer (or software) that interprets PCL?

    But I would prefer a simpler pcl command that didn't need to be within
    a pjl enter/exit block. (I don't want to have to add the pjl exit
    commands at the end of a print job.) And hopefully something that is
    common and likely to be supported by as many pcl interpreters as
    possible, ie: non-hp printers that say they support "pcl", the few ink
    jets that do pcl, vsi-fax, etc...
    Brian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: pcl command to set resolution

    "Brian K. White" <com> wrote in message

    A quick google search for: "pcl commands" dpi
    resulted in an HP DeskJet 600 PCL command list that contains:

    Print Quality
    EconoFast
    300 x 300 dpi
    Ec*o-1M (m)
    027 042 111 045 049 077 (109)
    1B 2A 6F 2D 31 4D (6D)

    Normal
    600 x 300 dpi
    Ec*o0M (m)
    027 042 111 048 077 (109)
    1B 2A 6F 30 4D (6D)

    Presentation
    600 x 600 dpi
    Ec*o1M (m)
    027 042 111 049 077 (109)
    1B 2A 6F 31 4D (6D)

    and...

    Resolution
    75 dots per inch
    Ec*t75R
    027 042 116 055 053 082
    1B 2A 74 37 35 52

    150 dots per inch
    Ec*t150R
    027 042 116 049 053 048 082
    1B 2A 74 31 35 30 52

    300 dots per inch
    Ec*t300R
    027 042 116 051 048 048 082
    1B 2A 74 33 30 30 52

    600 dots per inch
    Ec*t600R
    027 042 116 054 048 048 082
    1B 2A 74 36 30 30 52

    The former is probably for inkjet printers only. There's no equivalent
    for laser printers because there's no real speed advantage to printing
    text at a lower resolution.

    The latter is for resolution of raster graphics only, not text quality,
    and applies to laser printers also.

    Bob

    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    "Bob Bailin" <com> wrote in message news:<bof3au$kre$news.aol.com>...

    > A quick google search for: "pcl commands" dpi
    > resulted in an HP DeskJet 600 PCL command list that contains:
    >
    > Print Quality
    > EconoFast
    > 300 x 300 dpi
    > Ec*o-1M (m)
    > 027 042 111 045 049 077 (109)
    > 1B 2A 6F 2D 31 4D (6D)
    >
    > Normal
    > 600 x 300 dpi
    > Ec*o0M (m)
    > 027 042 111 048 077 (109)
    > 1B 2A 6F 30 4D (6D)
    >
    > Presentation
    > 600 x 600 dpi
    > Ec*o1M (m)
    > 027 042 111 049 077 (109)
    > 1B 2A 6F 31 4D (6D)
    >
    > and...
    >
    > Resolution
    > 75 dots per inch
    > Ec*t75R
    > 027 042 116 055 053 082
    > 1B 2A 74 37 35 52
    >
    > 150 dots per inch
    > Ec*t150R
    > 027 042 116 049 053 048 082
    > 1B 2A 74 31 35 30 52
    >
    > 300 dots per inch
    > Ec*t300R
    > 027 042 116 051 048 048 082
    > 1B 2A 74 33 30 30 52
    >
    > 600 dots per inch
    > Ec*t600R
    > 027 042 116 054 048 048 082
    > 1B 2A 74 36 30 30 52
    >
    > The former is probably for inkjet printers only. There's no equivalent
    > for laser printers because there's no real speed advantage to printing
    > text at a lower resolution.
    >
    > The latter is for resolution of raster graphics only, not text quality,
    > and applies to laser printers also.[/ref]

    That's not what you think it is.
    I have pcl graphics files that already have the <esc>*t600R at the
    beginning. I'm not sure exactly what that code does, but it does not
    tell the printer to go into 600dpi mode. The printer must already be
    in 600 dpi mode. If you send the file to a printer that was left in
    300 dpi mode for example, you get a nice zoomed-in view of the
    top-left corner.

    It occurs to me that there may be no such code as what I'm looking
    for, or else the utility I used to generate the graphics would surely
    have included it.
    I'm using mkpcl by Jim Asman and he's no slouch when it comes to pcl
    so if he didn't put it into the file, then either it doesn't exist or
    he intentionally left it out for flexability reasons. Generally one
    uses this utility to create pcl graphics that are then inserted into
    other doents, so it outputs files with no absolute addresses and no
    page control or job control or printer init sequences by design. It
    does put <esc>*t###R in it's output, and at the same time it prints a
    warning on stdout saying that the printer needs to be set for 600dpi
    or else this won't print correctly.

    (just out of curiosity I think I'll try those inkjet codes. they are
    pcl after all.)
    Brian Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: OT: pcl command to set resolution

    Brian K. White wrote:

    AFAIK most DeskJets only understand PCL3 (not PCL5 nor PCL6) and do not
    understand PJL.

    Older LaserJets certainly don't understand PJL either. There are still
    enough LaserJet IIs chugging away for office-supplies companies to be
    selling toner cartridges for them. Does your target population excludes
    them?

    I suspect you are out of luck. A brief scan through a PCL5 tech ref
    suggests that you can set the units of measure etc, but these just
    affect positioning accuracy, not the printing resolution.

    YMMV

    Ian Guest