Professional Web Applications Themes

OT: This a good book? "The Definitive Guide" - Eric Meyer - Macromedia Fireworks

I bought a bood today at the bookstore "The Definitive Guide" by Eric Meyer. I was just wondering if some of you have read this book aswell? I don't have alot of experience with HTML but I got so interested in CSS lately that I was really looking for something like this. This book was 36,65 Euro. There was this other book of 60 Euro's with double the amount of pages but it had alot of text in it covering Microsoft CSS extension which I am not really interested in. The preface of the book says that it attempts to ...

  1. #1

    Default OT: This a good book? "The Definitive Guide" - Eric Meyer

    I bought a bood today at the bookstore "The Definitive Guide" by Eric
    Meyer. I was just wondering if some of you have read this book aswell?
    I don't have alot of experience with HTML but I got so interested in CSS
    lately that I was really looking for something like this.
    This book was 36,65 Euro. There was this other book of 60 Euro's with
    double the amount of pages but it had alot of text in it covering
    Microsoft CSS extension which I am not really interested in.

    The preface of the book says that it attempts to cover the usuable
    material in nowadays browsers instead of explaining every bit of CSS
    that is theoretically available. I think that is a very good point and
    it is the reason why I bought the book. I am always looking for books
    that reflect reallife scenarios and some of you have certainly sparked
    my interest in CSS for sure.

    Here is an interesting part of one of the first pages that really made
    me laugh in the train on my way back home:

    Page 3: "..// How many line-break tags you inserted trying to get
    exactly the right separation between a title and the following text?"

    LOL! Answer: May times! No, ALL the time!

    I think a writers power lies in the ability to touch its readers in such
    a way that matters become instantly recognizable. This one was!

    Anyway, I haven't found an awful lot of books on CSS so if i'm through
    with this one what would you recommend reading?

    By the way, this is one of the largest bookstores in the country and
    there was NOT ONE book on Fireworks...
    As it is currently, I have become more interested in CSS than in
    Fireworks. I just wonder if things are going the wrong direction or in
    the right direction....

    --

    Intensily,

    Coen Naninck

    "If you have a passion for what you do in life, life will become your
    passion!"
    _______________________________

    E-mail : Can be found at: http://members.home.nl/ccnk/mail
    ================================

    Enhance Fireworks with these Productivity Resources:

    *** FREESTYLERMX ***

    http://freestylermx.net

    *** FIREWORKS DEVELOPER CENTER ***

    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks

    Coen Guest

  2. #2

    CCS:TDG was the very first CSS book that I ever bought. Have bought several
    others, but the only two other ones I find myself going back to are the
    Eric's, PVII: Foundations e-Book, and Molly E. Holzschlag's "Cascading
    Style Sheets: The Designer's Edge".

    I seem to recall the Eric is in the midst of a new edition of "The
    Definitive Guide", but I am at a loss for the exact timetable involved.

    Still meaning to pick up Zeldman's book, but have had to temporarily put
    that on the back burner as that would just be something else to pack :o/

    Good books on Fireworks are a bit of a rarity.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    "Coen Naninck" <net> wrote in message

    Sam Guest

  3. #3

    On 01 Feb 2004 in macromedia.fireworks, Coen Naninck wrote:

    My employer as a copy for me.
    1) It's by Eric Meyer. Outside of the fact that he knows CSS inside and
    out, he's an entertaining writer.
    2) O'Reilly books tend to be more expensive than other books on the same
    topic. However, I find that they have a singular advantage - they're
    almost always right. That's why I buy 'em.

    --
    Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
    http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe

  4. #4

    Coen Naninck wrote:

    Yes this one's definitely a great book. If you have the budget I think
    that an even better Meyer book for you would be "Eric Meyer On CSS"
    which is both more recent and more hands-on than the Definitive guide.
    And once again, I must insist that you get Zeldman's "Designing With Web
    Standards". Zeldman is just as engaging a writer if not more so than
    Eric Meyer and that's probably the book that could help you the most.
    Give it a look if they have it at that store (or order it online).

    Well, "Eric Meyer On CSS" and Zeldman's book are like that. Both are
    deeply rooted in real life scenarios.

    Definitely the right direction. As you get to learn more about the power
    of CSS and proper structural HTML markup, you'll get a clearer picture
    of the place Fireworks has in a Web designer's nal and probably will
    end up using it in better ways.

    Cheers! :-)

    Stéphane
    Stéphane Guest

  5. #5

    I have heard that 'Fireworks MX Zero to Hero' by Joyce Evans is a very good book. I learned most of Fireworks through trial and error.

    Being in New Zealand, we have a very hard time getting any kind of good computer book without paying really big money...

    I would love to be able to find a copy of 'CSS:TDG' :)

    Regards,
    Peter

    SpiderFromMars Guest