Professional Web Applications Themes

OT: U.S. to sharply cut number of H-1B visas - Sun Solaris

http://news.com.com/2100-1036_3-5080288.html # # U.S. to sharply cut number of H-1B visas # September 22, 2003 # # The United States is about to cut the number of employment visas # it offers to highly qualified foreign workers from 195,000 to # 65,000, immigration experts said Monday. # # Unless Congress acts by the end of this month--and there is little # sign it will do so--the change will automatically take effect # Oct. 1. Employers, especially technology companies, argue the # move will hurt them and the economy. # # The change will affect the number of H-1B visas that ...

  1. #1

    Default OT: U.S. to sharply cut number of H-1B visas

    http://news.com.com/2100-1036_3-5080288.html
    #
    # U.S. to sharply cut number of H-1B visas
    # September 22, 2003
    #
    # The United States is about to cut the number of employment visas
    # it offers to highly qualified foreign workers from 195,000 to
    # 65,000, immigration experts said Monday.
    #
    # Unless Congress acts by the end of this month--and there is little
    # sign it will do so--the change will automatically take effect
    # Oct. 1. Employers, especially technology companies, argue the
    # move will hurt them and the economy.
    #
    # The change will affect the number of H-1B visas that can be issued
    # each fiscal year. The visas are mostly used to bring high-tech
    # experts from Asia, especially from the Indian sub-continent,
    # to work in the United States for up to three years.
    #
    # "The fact that Congress doesn't seem anxious to act reflects
    # the political climate, with a lack of jobs for Americans," New
    # York immigration lawyer Cyrus Mehta said.
    #
    # "The pressure to change the limit will build up again when the
    # economy picks up," Mehta said.
    #
    # The Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing on the issue last
    # week. Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, noted that many
    # U.S. high-tech workers are unemployed and the committee needed
    # to find ways of helping them without hurting the country's ability
    # to compete globally.
    #
    # Vermont Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy said: "Given the weakness
    # of our current economy, and the rising unemployment we have
    # experienced under President Bush's stewardship, many who supported
    # the increase in 2000 now believe that 65,000 visas are
    # sufficient."
    #
    # But Patrick Duffy, a human resources attorney for Intel, said
    # finding the best-educated engineering talent from around the
    # world was critical to his company's future.
    #
    # "We expect that we will continue to sponsor H-1B employees in
    # the future for the simple reason that we cannot find enough U.S.
    # workers with the advanced education, skills and expertise we
    # need," he said.
    #
    # Elizabeth son, director of immigration services for
    # Ingersoll-Rand, speaking on behalf of the U.S. Chamber of
    # Commerce, said: "In the near term, we simply must have access
    # to foreign nationals. Many of them have been educated in the
    # United States. By sending them home, we are at best sending them
    # to our own foreign plant sites, and at worst to our competitors."
    #
    # Immigration attorneys expect the new rules to set off a scramble
    # by companies to fill their slots early before the ceiling is
    # reached. How quickly that happens depends on the state of the
    # economy, they said.
    #
    # Related News
    #
    # Ex-Sun worker files discrimination suitMarch 18, 2003
    #
    # http://news.com.com/2100-1011-993123.html
    Cypherpunk@nyc.rr.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OT: U.S. to sharply cut number of H-1B visas

    rr.com wrote:
    : http://news.com.com/2100-1036_3-5080288.html
    : #
    : # U.S. to sharply cut number of H-1B visas
    : # September 22, 2003
    : #
    : # The United States is about to cut the number of employment visas
    : # it offers to highly qualified foreign workers from 195,000 to
    : # 65,000, immigration experts said Monday.
    : #

    Don't count the H-1B out yet...

    http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearing.cfm?id=913
    United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary

    http://www.ieeeusa.org/forum/POLICY/2003/091603.html
    IEEE-USA 9/16/03 Testimony by Dr. John Steadman to the Senate
    Judiciary Committee on the H-1B Visa

    --Jerry Leslie
    Note: houston.rr.com is invalid for email
    leslie Guest

  3. #3

    On 24 Sep 2003 rr.com wrote:

    I think the report missed off the last bit of that sentence:
    "... skills and expertise we need, for the peanuts we want
    to pay"...

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Guest

  4. #4

    In article <Pine.GSO.4.44.0309240929480.21661-100000zaphod>,
    Rich Teer <com> writes:

    > I think the report missed off the last bit of that sentence:
    > "... skills and expertise we need, for the peanuts we want
    > to pay"...[/ref]

    And if a company systematically avoids a method of getting the most bang
    for the buck possible (even if that means outsourcing to India), they very
    properly would be subject to being sued by their investors, who after all
    are putting their money there not to make the world or their country or
    your life a better place, but simply to get the best return on their
    investment. For those investors not comfortable with such single-
    mindedness, there are various flavors of socially conscious companies and
    investments; I don't know if anyone has studied whether they actually
    perform competitively as investments, although I suspect that they
    probably cover a similar range of performance, maybe a little lower
    overall (for having multiple objectives) or perhaps occasionally even a
    little higher (for those possibilities they see from looking in a
    different way that others don't).

    If you want to argue for keeping the money at home or for more money,
    don't waste anyone's time on how much you want it or on such irrelevancies
    as larger social or economic issues not directly affecting the bottom line
    of the business; instead, show how you're worth paying more for. You may
    well be, but my point is that you've got to look at it from their
    perspective to know what argument will sell, regardless of whether you
    agree with such arguments. Or found yet another socially conscious company
    yourself. That's the great thing: you can't choose what someone else
    does (and they can't choose what you do), but you can always choose to
    do something else yourself.

    --
    mailto:smart.net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil
    Richard Guest

  5. #5

    Richard L. Hamilton <smart.net> wrote:

    Thus contradicting your lead-in claim.

    ----

    Ooo, Ahhhhnald is on TV debating for the CA governorship.

    -am © 2003
    Anthony Guest

  6. #6

    In article <3f724151$0$6383$astraweb.com>,
    Anthony Mandic <com> writes:

    > Thus contradicting your lead-in claim.[/ref]

    Not if they're open about their objectives in their prospectus. The
    problem isn't whether profit is the ultimate objective, it's whether you're
    honest with your investors about what your objectives are.

    Personally, I think that the sort of responsible behavior that looks at
    consequences beyond the quarterly statement is good business, but going to
    the extent of smarmy kissing up to greenies and activists is just plain
    disgusting. Of all the folks that show up to protest the IMF/World
    Bank/G8/etc, most of 'em are just clueless kids with too much time on
    their hands (the rest are full-time rabble-rousers; I wish I knew who
    their real backers were). Some years ago I remember hearing someone (who
    had other obligations that really should've been enough to keep them from
    such stupidity) talk about going to a protest just 'cause they'd never
    been to one before and they thought it'd be fun. Fortunately a slightly
    older&wiser co-worker (not me, such stupidity leaves me speechless) talked
    them out of it.