Professional Web Applications Themes

OT: Unsolicited testimonial - SCO

People, Many years since I visited, let alone posted. Curiosity drove me back. "Why is Darl McBride behaving like a mini-poor-man's-edition-of Bill Gates?" Your postings have convinced me: Gates and Balmer are his idols. 'T isn't his fault that he's not particularly intelligent, he's just following the trend (set by SCO leadership over many years now. He'll make a fortune as somebody's plumber or landscape architect, one day). Thanks to y'all I was directed to the SCO website; marked, read and inwardly digested the blurb and FUD served by McBride's personal kid-yourself server. *comp.unix.sco.misc helped teach me Unix*. Let alone ...

  1. #1

    Default OT: Unsolicited testimonial

    People,

    Many years since I visited, let alone posted. Curiosity drove me back.
    "Why is Darl McBride behaving like a mini-poor-man's-edition-of Bill
    Gates?" Your postings have convinced me: Gates and Balmer are his idols.
    'T isn't his fault that he's not particularly intelligent, he's just
    following the trend (set by SCO leadership over many years now. He'll
    make a fortune as somebody's plumber or landscape architect, one day).
    Thanks to y'all I was directed to the SCO website; marked, read and
    inwardly digested the blurb and FUD served by McBride's personal
    kid-yourself server.

    *comp.unix.sco.misc helped teach me Unix*. Let alone SCO Unix. Many
    years ago. Along with Foundation Software in Amsterdam and ilion bv in
    Almere. Amongst the posters on this list I still see the names of many
    of my heroes. I've never forgotten them, they all recognize who they
    are, no point in mentioning names, is there Bela (back from Russia :),
    Jean Pierre (never mastered English - Canouque - Bill, Bill, Boyd, Tony
    - master, Jeff my hero, Tom).

    A couple of new posters who I love. FyRE (your name means "in front" in
    my Norwegian dialect - though pity you don't dare put your name and
    Scott, who shares my views).

    Most of all, I love your choice of spam. Guess I'll lurk a while, no
    idea why. Maybe I'm getting senile.

    --Tonni

    --
    Tony Earnshaw

    Looking backwards is always easy with hindsight

    http://www.billy.demon.nl
    Mail: demon.nl

    Tony Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OT: Unsolicited testimonial

    Tony Earnshaw <demon.nl> wrote:

    Welcome back, BTW.

    I have some comments about Darl's very latest musings at
    http://aplawrence.com/Blog/B512.html

    Apparently he thinks his open letter was "conciliatory". He
    also seems to think that Open Source is killing SCO (as
    though inept management hadn't already done most of that)
    and that therefore Linux folk ought to jump on the bandwagon
    and stop giving stuff away.

    I must say I find his arguments compelling, and in the spirit
    of monetization suggested by his comments, am now offering
    the readers of c.u.s.m. an opportunity to purchase
    a one-time (unless I change my mind) paid up license that will
    allow you to visit the link referenced above and copy my
    ramblings into your computer.

    I'm thinking that $699.00 is a very reasonable price for that.
    As the readership of aplawrence.com is around 100,000 monthly,
    I expect to get moderately wealthy from these license sales.
    Not nearly as wealthy as Darl expects to get, but then my
    needs are probably more simple.

    I recognize that some of you may not want to take
    advantage of this offer just now because you are under some
    confusion that convinces you that there's no reason to pay it.
    While that may be true, as soon as David Boises is done
    with Microsoft v. IBM, I'll be hiring him to take on this
    case. You may well laugh now, thinking "What case?", but
    you just wait and see. You'll wish you had forked over the
    lousy $699.00 when you had the chance.

    Also (and thanks again to Darl for pointing this out), I'm
    not happy about this newsgroup giving out free answers to
    problems I could charge money for answering. Don't you
    people understand that giving things away destroys legitimate
    businesses like Darl's and mine?

    Well, send me $699.00 and we'll let by-gones be by-gones.

    Oh - outside of the U.S. is no problem: PayPal does
    currency conversions. Just plug in the email address
    below, tell 'em you want to send me $699.00 US and they'll
    take care of everything.

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Justin Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    I am inspired by your bold move. I now proclaim ownership of all if
    statements. Sure I didn't invent them, but I use them frequently in my
    code. Therefore I claim them as my own. I claim this for all programming
    languages and every day conversation (after all using them in written
    language would violate my trade secrets).

    This proclamation also includes:

    case/switch logic as it is basically an extended version of the if
    statement.
    all forms of loops as the rely on some sort of decision to be made as to
    whether to stay in the loop or exit
    any other form of decision construct since in every programming language the
    if statement is the first on taught.

    I am not going to be greedy and ask $699, I merely ask for $1 for every
    individual type of decision construct used in your programming. Once Mr.
    Boies is finished representing SCO and Tony, I will contract him to
    represent my claim.

    Thanks,
    Justin
    CEO SCO (Simple Con Organization)

    Justin Guest

  5. #5

    com wrote:

    Esteemed Mr. Lawrence,

    My name is Tonni Jarnskaug and I am the executive director of a well
    known bank. I would wish to welcome your thoughts on the value of
    earning your decent living and wish hereby a suggestion to our mutual
    advantage. After all we have a duty to our next. No doubt you will have
    noticed postings from many of our members on this list. This list is
    very discerning. Though many posters have advised on the availability of
    our first class service we would always welcome new thought. Therefore
    we would advise you of the following conference please:

    http://j-walk.com/blog/docs/conference.htm

    You will attend no doubt as it will help you in your endeavors. Thank
    you. In the name of Mrs. Maryam Abacha whom God has prospered and
    blessed with great richness and esteem.

    Please keep this message confidential and do not divulge to others.
    These are for very obvious reason. Thank you for your kind attention.

    Tonni Guest

  6. #6

    "Justin Robbs" <com> wrote in

    > I am inspired by your bold move. I now proclaim ownership of all if
    > statements. Sure I didn't invent them, but I use them frequently in
    > my code. Therefore I claim them as my own. I claim this for all
    > programming languages and every day conversation (after all using them
    > in written language would violate my trade secrets).[/ref]

    I, too, am inspired. In fact, I am hereby rolling out my own licensing
    plan.

    I am licensing licensing. That's right, anybody who ever has or will
    licensed anything now owes me big bucks. I only hope I can afford to pay
    off myself.

    --
    fD
    fLameDogg Guest