Professional Web Applications Themes

OT: Web design styles/elements you dislike - Macromedia Fireworks

Im just curious what are some of your pet peeves when it comes to websites and the styles they use? It seems every few months there are new "cool" effects that poeple use and every site uses them. For example, the "tv scan line" filter is an effect that a lot of people use The "plastic" look effect seems to be really popular now and it seems every template you see utilizes this effect to the point where it just isnt unique any more. Also, some people love to have drop shadows on everysingle graphical element. What other styles do ...

  1. #1

    Default OT: Web design styles/elements you dislike

    Im just curious what are some of your pet peeves when it comes to websites
    and the styles they use? It seems every few months there are new "cool"
    effects that poeple use and every site uses them.

    For example, the "tv scan line" filter is an effect that a lot of people use

    The "plastic" look effect seems to be really popular now and it seems every
    template you see utilizes this effect to the point where it just isnt unique
    any more.

    Also, some people love to have drop shadows on everysingle graphical
    element.

    What other styles do u guys see that are overdone and bug you?

    jj Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Web design styles/elements you dislike

    1. Flash navigation where standard rollovers would do just fine
    2. Massive bevels
    3. Obviously clashing colors that make reading difficult
    4. Flashing things
    5. Animated gifs
    6. Fixed width designs that cater for the 640x480 crowd
    7. Use of images that have absolutely no relevance to the page content
    8. Text that says things like "Best viewed at 800x600", "Designed for
    Internet Explorer" or "Made with Macintosh"

    "jj" <ca> wrote in message news:bvn5nh$51l$macromedia.com...
    use
    every
    unique

    Richie Guest

  3. #3

    - minimal contrast between background colour and text which is intended for
    reading

    - all Flash intros (with or without Skip Intro)

    - a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active all specified with the same color and
    text decoration

    - links to PDF files without any visual clues onscreen adjacent the link
    before I click the link

    - obtrusive DHTML-powered ads which shrink after a specified interval as I'm
    reading a web page and scroll the page up

    - pop-under ads

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    John Guest

  4. #4

    hehe, yes i very much agree, especially with point 8. Do people actully feel
    we as users will change our graphics settings just to view their site?
    "Richie Bee" <ca> wrote in message
    news:bvn5nh$51l$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    websites
    > use
    > every
    > unique
    >
    >[/ref]

    jj Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: OT: Web design styles/elements you dislike

    In article <bvn5nh$51l$macromedia.com>, "jj" <ca> wrote:

    Hey, listen for the "ka-ching" every time we convince our clients their
    sites need a facelift! :-)

    I've used it (maybe twice) to mask the fact that I had to stretch a
    bitmap larger than its original size.

    Ugh, yes. And drop shadows of more than 30-40% opacity only make text
    harder to read.

    Any effect can be useful, in its place! But overuse destroys the ability
    to call attention to an important message! It's like ending every
    sentence with an exclamation point! Or several!!!!!

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  6. #6

    In addition to all those mentioned by others...

    1. Small text as main content text
    2. Noise, music, sounds, especially with no off button and especially w/
    flash/flash buttons. Ugh. I often get claws in me when I come to web sites like
    this. I like my speakers on, though, so I know when I have mail and so on.
    3. Frames - I have a scroller on my mouse and I want to use it without messing
    with the page first.
    4. Poor quality graphics - jagged edges, pixelation, banding, etc.
    5. Unneccessary graphics.
    6. Clutter - especially 3 column designs where there is so much stuff crammed
    in there on top of itself that you can't even figure out what you're looking at
    in the first 30 seconds. I'm not against 3 column designs at all, just when
    they're too cluttered.
    7. Flash thats entire purpose is to say, "Hey! Look at me! I can make cool
    stuff w/ Flash!"
    8. Don't mess with my mouse!! No right-click disable, or funky things hanging
    off of the cursor when I move it and don't make my mouse into a crosshair! ARG!
    9. I hate it when I go to a "big" site (popular, well-traveled) and then when I
    look under the hood (as I am wont to do) I see crappy, invalid code riddled
    with font tags and table/cell heights and widths everywhere, no doctype, or
    even 2 or 300 hundred blank lines of code, as if putting the code waaaaaaaay
    down will prevent people from looking at it. Somehow it offends me that people
    who code like this get big jobs (or any jobs, for that matter! Sorry if that
    offends people). I take a great deal of pride in my job and I do it with
    integrity. Seeing people so uncaring about their jobs that they fill it with
    crappy code (and then get paid for it!) just gets on my nerves! To me it is the
    equivalent of using 50-year-old pipes to replumb somebody's business.

    DiMa
    --------------------
    WEB FORUM USERS: Please log on to the Newsgroup for quicker replies to
    your posts: news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
    For Answers, check here first:
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=+group:macromedia.dreamwea ver
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/technotes.html
    http://www.projectseven.com/faqbase
    http://dwfaq.com

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/etiquette.htm

    www.flyingtigerwebdesign dot com

    DiMa Guest

  7. #7

    DiMa wrote:>

    Couldn't agree more (as well as with the points the others brought up).

    There is sometimes a reason for some sites having a lot of white space
    above the opening <html> or doctype tags other than trying to hide the
    code . Some server-side code leaves a lot of line-breaks or blank spaces
    behind and the server sends it to the browser along with the regular
    HTML code thus pusing it down the page. Older versions of ColdFusion
    were particularly bad with this. CF is my server-side technology of
    choice and I always wrap whatever CF code comes before the doctype
    inside <cfsilent> tags to avoid that very problem. I do the same with
    larger chunks of CF code in the middle of a page if it is not outputting
    anything to the page. It really helps keep the code that browsers
    receive cleaner and more lightweight.

    Cheers!

    Stéphane
    Stéphane Guest

  8. #8

    Stéphane Bergeron wrote:

    This is very true, but there are many sites I see that are obviously just html
    and all this empty space and it annoys the heck out of me. :)

    CF is my server-side

    Now *I* couldn't agree more! CF is my server-side tech as well and when I found
    <cfsilent> I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I also make extensive use out
    of DW Templates, which leaves a lot of empty space in the middle of my pages,
    too. Haven't figured out how or even if I can supress it, though. I've been
    called an "OCD" Coder (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, for those who don't
    know), and I'm actually proud of it :) When I made my first web site in 1996 I
    didn't even know there WAS code. I was using some drag and drop thingy that I
    finally trashed because I couldn't do what I wanted to do. Then I picked up an
    HTML book and just looked at it as another language under my belt.

    As a (former) teacher of both English and German I would never let my students
    get away with bad grammar or spelling on a graded assignment, so why would I
    allow myself to use poor "grammar" and "spelling" in my code? I just can't. I
    only wish that others felt this way, too! Or that I'd at least get their jobs
    :-D
    DiMa
    --------------------

  9. #9

    DiMa wrote:

    I feel that way too. :-)

    --
    John
    John Guest

  10. #10

    "Lanny Chambers" <net> wrote in message
    news:macromedia.com... [/ref]
    websites

    > Hey, listen for the "ka-ching" every time we convince our clients their
    > sites need a facelift! :-)[/ref]

    :-)))
     [/ref]
    use

    Well, I personally like many sorts of halftone effects. I even created a
    couple of plugins like http://photoshop.msk.ru/as/ngrave.html or
    http://photoshop.msk.ru/as/mesh.html for such an effects. Well, I must
    admit, I also like "mosaic" effects, but this is something I cannot discuss
    on public ;-)

    You know, this is related to very complicated problems of "dividing" image
    onto components, and then "grouping" the components together. The
    impressionist painters did a lot about that... needless to say, "gravure"
    and stuff was related to that long ago... and again, old glass mosaic
    techniques... and well, what as to modern techniques, "cartoon" is somewhat
    close to old line art and gravure...

    All in all, all these techniques are related to "reducing" source image
    resolution, yet making it look good and "artistic", instead of "just blurry"
    :-) Your idea of using such an effects means that you prefer quite creative
    approach :-))) I can only wish that all other people will follow the same
    approach and become just as much professional as you.

    > Ugh, yes. And drop shadows of more than 30-40% opacity only make text
    > harder to read.[/ref]

    Oh well, if the objest is lighter that the background, and gets some darker
    drop shadow, it will only make object more readable. The real point is
    increasing local contrast, and the "readability" (needless to say, they are
    not the same). Of course, if we get some text of 128,128,128 colour over
    128,128,128 background, then add some lighter stroke, plus some darker drop
    shadow, will make it readable. But of course, if the text is 0,0,0 over
    255,255,255, then any stroke effect, or drop shadow, will significantly
    reduce the local contrast between pure black and pure white.

    I just cannot agree more. There is no effect that is "always good", nor
    there is an effect which is "always bad". The approach toward using such an
    effects must be quite creative I guess... Indeed, effects are useful "in
    their place", and indeed, "overuse" destroys everything. We should use the
    effects "in place" and "on purpose".

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    http://photoshop.msk.ru/ - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "How did I get into this mess? I really don't know how. We
    seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life." - C3PO, Star Wars

    Ilya Guest

  11. #11

    On 03 Feb 2004 in macromedia.fireworks, DiMa wrote:

    Could you show us an example? I can't imagine why a template would
    result in empty space in the child page.

    --
    Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
    http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe

  12. #12

    Joe Makowiec wrote:

    Sure! It happens for the same reason that it does in dynamic sites. Parameters
    are passed in some pages and not in others and so on.

    Here is an image of my master Template for our business site, which is (I must
    admit) always changing). But I didn't want to use CF at the time and I didn't
    want to have to mess with pages, so EVERYTHING is in the template. There are
    only 2 editable regions - one in the head and one in the body. That's it.
    Everything else is controlled with parameters and expressions.

    Here's the template:
    http://www.flyingtigerwebdesign.com/Templates/ftwd_main.dwt

    The result can be found if you view the code here:
    http://www.flyingtigerwebdesign.com/
    As you can see, there is a lot of white space in the code as a result of the
    template. Each time the page is rendered in the browser it leaves out the code
    from the parameters which are not passed, which leaves all that space. It's the
    price one must pay for having an terribly complicated - yet extremely
    efficient - template. It makes my life loads easier, so I just live with the
    space! :)

    DiMa