Professional Web Applications Themes

ot: why are they called SPARE ribs??? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Did the cow have a few extra? just a thought......

  1. #1

    Default ot: why are they called SPARE ribs???

    Did the cow have a few extra?

    just a thought...

    madmaximus Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ot: why are they called SPARE ribs???

    madmaximus wrote:

    Yes, it's like as with cars having a spare wheel. Cows are usually
    carrying their spare ribs on top of their heads.

    Seriously, the word "spare" appears in most European language groups in
    one or another form. It bascially means "save" (as in e.g. "save money")
    but could in earlier times also mean "stretch out", or "make something
    last". And it might have been used in that sense: The ribs that
    stretched out the torso.

    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    http://www.vendel.info

    Dan Guest

  3. #3

    Dan:

    I had always thought it meant "lean" or "sp" or "short" or "not so much
    meat on them" or "great with barbeque sauce but makes a slimy mess on your
    chin and fingers". Like that....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <com> wrote in
    message news:bgqo5i$rb9$macromedia.com...

    > Yes, it's like as with cars having a spare wheel. Cows are usually
    > carrying their spare ribs on top of their heads.
    >
    > Seriously, the word "spare" appears in most European language groups in
    > one or another form. It bascially means "save" (as in e.g. "save money")
    > but could in earlier times also mean "stretch out", or "make something
    > last". And it might have been used in that sense: The ribs that
    > stretched out the torso.
    >
    > --
    > Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    > http://www.vendel.info
    > Contact me directly by clicking here:
    > http://contact.vendel.info
    > Formmail tutorial:
    > http://www.vendel.info/tut/formmail.html
    > Nested table demonstration:
    > http://www.vendel.info/tabletut/
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  4. #4

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    Perhaps you're right! I actually also had a theory that the word "spare"
    was coined by the butchers, who threw them away as garbage. But when
    supply of "real" meat exceeded customers' demand, they had to dig into
    the trash cans to find and sell whatever leftovers they had.

  5. #5

    > Yes, it's like as with cars having a spare wheel. Cows are usually

    Ahhh, as in their 'horns'??? Again, a parallel can be found in a car...

    ....Maybe there is something to learn from this <> or maybe not...

    madmaximus Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: why are they called SPARE ribs???

    fouind something:

    http://education./reference/dictionary/entries/51/s0605100.html

    alex
    "madmaximus" <com> wrote in message

    A Guest

  7. #7

    madmaximus wrote:

    Yes, but after the Henry Ford introduced his Model-T, which had a horn
    for audible alert signals protruding at the front of the automobile, the
    spare ribs on the heads of the cattle were shortly named "horns", too.
    The expression's source can be traced to the Yusmikle county in
    Wisconsin, where from a vast number of Ford workers were scooped up.

    We can also see other similarities in e.g. "tail", "horse powers"
    (originally "cow powers" or simply "cow-pow") and "udder" (as in the
    recent Ford model Intrudder).

    However, most people think this is bull.

  8. #8

    Neat! So my slimy chin ogy was not so far from wrong then! 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "A l e x M a r i n o" <net> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  9. #9

    A l e x M a r i n o wrote:

    Bah!
    I resent that!
    First of all: You can't trust a site with the name "Yahoo" of any
    insight about etymology.
    Second: Is there any sane adult who has tried to barbecue ribs on a
    spit? Sober?
    Third: People don't just swap the syllables of a word from "ribspear" to
    "spare ribs". Sober.
    Four: I hate being wrong.

  10. #10

    Dan:

    Your knowledge on the subject is enlightening... and worrying!!!
    I wont ask how you have come to have this insight, but thankyou for your
    ysis!

    AND, i must compliment you on your subtle joke! Have you ever thought of
    giving up the web, computers and programming and 'moo'ving over to the
    comedy circuit...?

    madmaximus Guest

  11. #11

    Kind of reminds me of the origin of the word "butterfly" which has nothing
    to do with butter. Apparently it was called a "fluuterby" and got mixed up.

    "A l e x M a r i n o" <net> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    middletree Guest

  12. #12

    <rimshot>

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "madmaximus" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  13. #13

    Just goes to show how much of the world history is influenced by "not sober"

    :-)

    alex

    | Bah!
    | I resent that!
    | First of all: You can't trust a site with the name "Yahoo" of any
    | insight about etymology.
    | Second: Is there any sane adult who has tried to barbecue ribs on a
    | spit? Sober?
    | Third: People don't just swap the syllables of a word from "ribspear" to
    | "spare ribs". Sober.
    | Four: I hate being wrong.

    Alex Guest

  14. #14

    Not certain, but aren't most spare ribs from pigs and not cows?

    Durwood

    Durwood Guest

  15. #15

    Durwood:

    I think it's

    spareribs = pork
    short ribs = beef

    but I could, for once, be wrong.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Durwood Edwards" <com> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  16. #16

    In article <bgqt1p$b2i$macromedia.com> , "A l e x M a r i n o"
    <net> wrote:

    So they're really "spear ribs." Must have been a Kiwi who came up with the
    modern phrase.

    -- James M. Shook
    http://www.jshook.com

    James Guest

  17. #17

    > spareribs = pork

    Oh dear! All those times i have complained and caused a fuss because i
    thought i was getting less for my money... when in actual fact, i was eating
    beef instead of pork! I must apologise to my local chinese!!!

    madmaximus Guest

  18. #18

    LOL - oh, yeah....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <com> wrote in
    message news:bgr0un$rb9$macromedia.com...

    > Now, now, Don't try to shuffle the cards here.
    >
    > Today, spare ribs *might* origin from swine. Originally, it was the
    > other way around. Cows gave us ribs, and pigs produced milk. However,
    > during the lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed
    > diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat
    > volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation
    > ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
    > Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse
    > molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero
    > eros et acsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum
    > zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.Lorem ipsum
    > dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh
    > euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi
    > enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit
    > lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum
    > iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat,
    > vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et acsan et
    > iusto odio dignissim qu
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  19. #19

    OH! Right you R.

    Durwood
    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <com> wrote in
    message news:bgr0un$rb9$macromedia.com...

    > Now, now, Don't try to shuffle the cards here.
    >
    > Today, spare ribs *might* origin from swine. Originally, it was the
    > other way around. Cows gave us ribs, and pigs produced milk. However,
    > during the lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed
    > diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat
    > volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation
    > ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
    > Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse
    > molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero
    > eros et acsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum
    > zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.Lorem ipsum
    > dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh
    > euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi
    > enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit
    > lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum
    > iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat,
    > vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et acsan et
    > iusto odio dignissim qu
    >[/ref]

    Durwood Guest

  20. #20

    "madmaximus" <com> wrote in message news:<bgqkk6$p30$macromedia.com>...

    Spare means lean, trim.
    sm Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast