Professional Web Applications Themes

Outdated page(s) on ruby-lang.org? - Ruby

A guy I (barely) know just tried to download Ruby and found this page: [url]http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/download.html[/url] It claims that 1.6.8 is stable. Not sure how he got to that page. Maybe someone should do some fixing up? Just FYI. Cheers, Hal...

  1. #1

    Default Outdated page(s) on ruby-lang.org?

    A guy I (barely) know just tried to download Ruby
    and found this page:

    [url]http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/download.html[/url]

    It claims that 1.6.8 is stable.

    Not sure how he got to that page.

    Maybe someone should do some fixing up?

    Just FYI.

    Cheers,
    Hal

    Hal Fulton Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Outdated page(s) on ruby-lang.org?

    Hi!

    * Hal Fulton; 2003-10-19, 19:32 UTC:
    > [url]http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/download.html[/url]
    >
    > It claims that 1.6.8 is stable.
    1.8 may be a newer stable version but the claim is right.

    Please take notice of signature! / Bitte Signature beachten!

    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
    --
    db Wenn sie mir ohne meine Einwilligung geschickt wurde, db
    dpqb wird eine E-Mail > 100 kB ungelesen entsorgt dpqb

    Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT Guest

  3. #3

    Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > * Hal Fulton; 2003-10-19, 19:32 UTC:
    >
    >> [url]http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/download.html[/url]
    >>
    >>It claims that 1.6.8 is stable.
    >

    > 1.8 may be a newer stable version but the claim is right.
    The claim is not that 1.6.8 is *a* stable version, but *the* stable
    version, and that 1.8.0 is only in preview.

    The link for 1.8 goes to ruby-1.8.0-preview1.tar.gz, not
    ruby-1.8.0.tar.gz. You have to follow the mirror links to see that
    there is a later version of 1.8.0

    James

    James Britt Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    In message "Re: Outdated page(s) on ruby-lang.org?"
    on 03/10/21, James Britt <jamesUNDERBARbseemyemail.com> writes:

    |> 1.8 may be a newer stable version but the claim is right.
    |
    |The claim is not that 1.6.8 is *a* stable version, but *the* stable
    |version, and that 1.8.0 is only in preview.
    |
    |The link for 1.8 goes to ruby-1.8.0-preview1.tar.gz, not
    |ruby-1.8.0.tar.gz. You have to follow the mirror links to see that
    |there is a later version of 1.8.0

    Since all www-admins are Japanese, English pages tend to be slow to be
    updated. We are in the process of assigning English speaking editors.

    matz.

    Yukihiro Matsumoto Guest

  5. #5

    On Monday 20 October 2003 04:14 pm, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In message "Re: Outdated page(s) on ruby-lang.org?"
    >
    > on 03/10/21, James Britt <jamesUNDERBARbseemyemail.com> writes:
    > |> 1.8 may be a newer stable version but the claim is right.
    > |
    > |The claim is not that 1.6.8 is *a* stable version, but *the* stable
    > |version, and that 1.8.0 is only in preview.
    > |
    > |The link for 1.8 goes to ruby-1.8.0-preview1.tar.gz, not
    > |ruby-1.8.0.tar.gz. You have to follow the mirror links to see that
    > |there is a later version of 1.8.0
    >
    > Since all www-admins are Japanese, English pages tend to be slow to be
    > updated. We are in the process of assigning English speaking editors.
    Matz, how "alive" is Ruby there in Japan? I have always felt that it's
    perfectly fine if Ruby is slow to gain ground here, so long as it's growing
    very healthy *somewhere* in the world. How is it faring over there?

    Sean O'Dell

    Sean O'Dell Guest

  6. #6

    sir [email]matzruby-lang.org[/email] [mailto:matzruby-lang.org] humbly replied:
    > |> 1.8 may be a newer stable version but the claim is right.
    > |
    > |The claim is not that 1.6.8 is *a* stable version, but *the* stable
    > |version, and that 1.8.0 is only in preview.
    > |
    > |The link for 1.8 goes to ruby-1.8.0-preview1.tar.gz, not
    > |ruby-1.8.0.tar.gz. You have to follow the mirror links to see that
    > |there is a later version of 1.8.0
    >
    > Since all www-admins are Japanese, English pages tend to be
    > slow to be updated. We are in the process of assigning
    > English speaking editors.

    sir Matz, can we try doenting technically all ruby methods/objects?
    Something like unix Man. Eg, I was trying to search doc on Webrick but
    cannot find any. I look on the sources, even the source do not have comments
    (well they have but only very sp. I' referring to 1.8). You have to read
    the source wc is very error-prone if you're not a ruby hacker (wish I were
    guy-decoux).

    hope you'll take this as a constructive comment. I'd like to help but I have
    to study ruby. I cannot study fast because... oh well.
    > matz.
    kind regards -botp

    Pea, Botp Guest

  7. #7

    on 03/10/21, "Sean O'Dell" <seancelsoft.com> writes:

    |Matz, how "alive" is Ruby there in Japan? I have always felt that it's
    |perfectly fine if Ruby is slow to gain ground here, so long as it's growing
    |very healthy *somewhere* in the world. How is it faring over there?

    How do I measure "alive"-ness?

    I see many books related with Ruby here in Japan (36? 38? I'm not
    sure). I admit there are more books about Java and PHP, but still we
    outnumber Python books. We see a lot of web servers running Ruby
    application, especially tDiary, which is one of Ruby's killer
    applications.

    I have been asked for presentation here and there all over the world.
    Even too many times so that often I had to say no. I think Ruby is
    "alive" pretty well.

    Regarding "success", I am paid for Ruby development itself, where
    Larry and Guide are not. This is most important for me.

    matz.

    Yukihiro Matsumoto Guest

  8. #8

    On Monday 20 October 2003 08:47 pm, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In message "Re: Outdated page(s) on ruby-lang.org?"
    >
    > on 03/10/21, "Sean O'Dell" <seancelsoft.com> writes:
    > |Matz, how "alive" is Ruby there in Japan? I have always felt that it's
    > |perfectly fine if Ruby is slow to gain ground here, so long as it's
    > | growing very healthy *somewhere* in the world. How is it faring over
    > | there?
    >
    > How do I measure "alive"-ness?
    >
    > I see many books related with Ruby here in Japan (36? 38? I'm not
    > sure). I admit there are more books about Java and PHP, but still we
    > outnumber Python books. We see a lot of web servers running Ruby
    > application, especially tDiary, which is one of Ruby's killer
    > applications.
    >
    > I have been asked for presentation here and there all over the world.
    > Even too many times so that often I had to say no. I think Ruby is
    > "alive" pretty well.
    >
    > Regarding "success", I am paid for Ruby development itself, where
    > Larry and Guide are not. This is most important for me.
    That's really encouraging! Thanks for that insight.

    There will be more applications forthcoming, I'm sure. Even with the huge
    commercial push for Python here in the U.S., I see, without fail, Ruby is a
    honeypot for developers. I think, even if it takes 20 years, Ruby will
    eventually come out on top.

    Sean O'Dell

    Sean O'Dell Guest

  9. #9

    On Tuesday, October 21, 2003, 11:01:15 AM, Botp wrote:
    > sir Matz, can we try doenting technically all ruby methods/objects?
    > Something like unix Man. Eg, I was trying to search doc on Webrick but
    > cannot find any. I look on the sources, even the source do not have comments
    > (well they have but only very sp. I' referring to 1.8). You have to read
    > the source wc is very error-prone if you're not a ruby hacker (wish I were
    > guy-decoux).
    Your wish will be granted in time, Botp. But remember that "all ruby
    methods/objects" is a lot of code if you mean "everything that comes
    packaged with Ruby". Webrick has not been with Ruby for long (only
    since 1.8) so it's not surprising that it's not well doented.
    > hope you'll take this as a constructive comment. I'd like to help but I have
    > to study ruby. I cannot study fast because... oh well.
    I'd like you to help as well. If using Webrick is a binary decision
    for you, then you'll either use it or not, and doentation will
    affect that decision. If it's a hobby, then you can spend some time
    getting used to it and doent it as you go. Talk to me off-list
    about doing this if you like. I'm happy to help you help me :)

    Cheers,
    Gavin

    Gavin Sinclair Guest

  10. #10

    Default Webrick for IOWA?

    Could someone with some experience with webrick maybe shed some light on
    something that I am wondering?

    IOWA's basic architecture has the IOWA application running as a standalone
    process. When the webserver receives a request that is to be handled by
    the IOWA application, a connection is made to the IOWA process via either
    a CGI program or (currently) a mod_ruby handler. The request is
    encapsulated in a serialized object that looks and acts a lot like an
    Apache::Request. The IOWA app does its thing, and returns back to its
    caller (the cgi program or mod_ruby handler) the Apache::Request with http
    headers and content, ready to push on back out to the browser.

    This works pretty well. It allows the IOWA app full control over the HTTP
    headers that are going out to the browser, and full access to the headers
    that came in, and does all of that with an acceptable level of performance
    (on my server hardware the typical apps/pages can be rendered at around
    20/second).

    Since webrick is now a standard component of Ruby, what I am wondering,
    really, is exactly what webrick provides? Would it be
    worthwhile/practical for me to look at changing IOWA so that webrick
    provides the framework for the communications conduit?

    Thanks for your thoughts,

    Kirk Haines

    Kirk Haines Guest

  11. #11

    Default Re: Webrick for IOWA?

    --UK1lfQXsnwKrySH9

    Kirk Haines (khainesenigo.com) wrote:
    > IOWA's basic architecture has the IOWA application running as a standalone
    > process. When the webserver receives a request that is to be handled by
    > the IOWA application, a connection is made to the IOWA process via either
    > a CGI program or (currently) a mod_ruby handler. The request is
    > encapsulated in a serialized object that looks and acts a lot like an
    > Apache::Request. The IOWA app does its thing, and returns back to its
    > caller (the cgi program or mod_ruby handler) the Apache::Request with http
    > headers and content, ready to push on back out to the browser.
    > Since webrick is now a standard component of Ruby, what I am wondering,
    > really, is exactly what webrick provides? Would it be
    > worthwhile/practical for me to look at changing IOWA so that webrick
    > provides the framework for the communications conduit?
    Webrick provides servlet stubs and everything else, so it would be
    practical, probably trivial, to port IOWA to it.

    Here's what I use for Borges, all the work happens in do_GET/do_POST,
    and the majority of that work is simply mapping WEBrick Request/Response
    to a Borges request/response. (With a little work, I may be able
    to use a webrick request/response inside Borges, I haven't looked
    into it yet.)

    require 'webrick'

    class BorgesServer < WEBrick::HTTPServlet::AbstractServlet

    attr_accessor :handler=20

    def initialize(server, options =3D {})
    super handler =3D options[:Handler] || WADispatcher.default
    end

    ##
    # WEBrick HTTP GET handler=20

    def do_GET(req, res)
    request =3D WARequest.new(req.path, req.header, req.query, req.cookies)
    response =3D handler.handle_request(request)

    res.status =3D response.status
    res.body =3D response.contents

    response.headers.each do |k,v|
    res[k] =3D v=20
    end
    end

    ##
    # WEBrick HTTP POST handler (same as GET)

    alias do_POST do_GET

    ##
    # Create a new Borges Server=20

    def self.create(options)
    options[:BindAddress] ||=3D '0.0.0.0'
    options[:Listen] ||=3D [['::', 7000]]
    options[:Port] ||=3D 7000

    server =3D WEBrick::HTTPServer.new(options)
    server.mount("/borges", BorgesServer, options)

    return server=20
    end

    ##
    # Start a new BorgesServer with a SIGINT handler=20

    def self.start(options =3D {})
    server =3D self.create(options)
    trap("INT") do server.shutdown end
    server.start

    return server=20
    end

    end

    --=20
    Eric Hodel - [email]drbrainsegment7.net[/email] - [url]http://segment7.net[/url]
    All messages signed with fingerprint:
    FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

    --UK1lfQXsnwKrySH9

    --UK1lfQXsnwKrySH9--

    Eric Hodel Guest

  12. #12

    Default www.ruby-lang.org (was Re: (1) Outdated page(s) on ruby-lang.org? (2) ruby-dev summary index)

    (1) Hal,

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 03:30 UTC, Hal Fulton wrote:
    | [url]http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/download.html[/url]
    |
    | It claims that 1.6.8 is stable.

    * Current correct Ruby download page is:

    [url]http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020102.html[/url]

    (The pointed page is obsolete)

    so please check your bookmark.

    # May we shrink the obsolete pages?

    (2) Gavin,

    * What about

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:08 UTC, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

    : On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, 8:00:33 PM, Gavin wrote:
    :
    : > Can it be linked from [url]www.ruby-lang.org/en[/url] somewhere?
    :
    : > For example, in ..., where it says
    :
    : where "..." = "http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020104.html"
    :
    : > ruby-dev, the developers' mailing list.
    :
    : > It could say this instead:
    :
    : > ruby-dev, the developers' mailing list (summarized in English
    : > weekly; see _here_) [link to above webpage]

    it now? ^\__ slightly modified though.
    --
    SugHimsi%one-of-www-editors

    SugHimsi==SUGIHARA Hiroshi Guest

  13. #13

    On Thursday, October 23, 2003, 7:31:53 AM, SugHimsi==SUGIHARA wrote:
    > (1) Hal,
    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 03:30 UTC, Hal Fulton wrote:
    > | [url]http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/download.html[/url]
    > |
    > | It claims that 1.6.8 is stable.
    > * Current correct Ruby download page is:
    > [url]http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020102.html[/url]
    > (The pointed page is obsolete)
    > so please check your bookmark.
    > # May we shrink the obsolete pages?
    Yes, good idea.

    > (2) Gavin,
    > * What about [...]
    > ("http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020104.html") [...]
    > it now? ^\__ slightly modified though.
    Excellent. Typo on next line, though ("uby-ext").

    Gavin

    Gavin Sinclair Guest

  14. #14

    * Gavin Sinclair; Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:19:12 +0900
    >> # May we shrink the obsolete pages?
    >
    > Yes, good idea.
    What about simply adding 'Information obsoleted by' + reference to
    new page as it is done with RFCs and the like?

    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt Guest