Professional Web Applications Themes

Outline Fonts in PDF - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

I thought you could outline fonts in a PDF in Acrobat 7 Professional - can someone tell me how. Thanks continued...

  1. #1

    Default Outline Fonts in PDF

    Harry_Redknapp@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Outline Fonts in PDF

    Acrobat can't do this, and I've never heard of a plug-in that could
    either.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Since the fonts are embedded in the PDF, there's no reason to outline them. Outlining is usually used if you don't have access to the fonts. It's a much overused technique.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I disagree on an overused technique, I receive many files with Truetype & CID Fonts which I need to outline as they fail various RIP settings - only option is to outline - surely there is a plugin that can do this.
    Harry_Redknapp@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    What does the RIP maker say about these bugs?

  6. #6

    I disagree on an overused technique, I receive many files with Truetype
    & CID Fonts which I need to outline as they fail various RIP settings
    - only option is to outline - surely there is a plugin that can do this.

    It sounds like you need to get the latest software from your RIP manufacturer. CID fonts have been part of the PostScript spec for over 10 years. Virtually every RIP manufacturer can now support them.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    It is not my RIPS - rather most of the major national Publishers in Australia, refuse to accept PDFs with these font types.

    So what I am seeking is a solution to outlining embedded fonts as this is the only way to get the files through. The file have been supplied by a number of clients diverse and constantly changing.
    Harry_Redknapp@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    PS STill from Stone does the trick.

    Also apparently PDF Enhancer does it but I cannot see were the option is.
    Harry_Redknapp@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    If you have Pit Stop Pro you can convert fonts to outlines. Use the Add Anchor point tool to create a rule somewhere on the page where it can be removed later and using PSP's Prepress/Transparency tab apply transparency to the rule. Got to preferences and select Convert from PDF, then select Encapsulated Postscript. Click on edit settings. Select Transparency Flattening and then check Convert All Text to Outlines box. I have it set to 100% Vectors 2400 line and Text. I also have the Convert all strokes to outlines checked. Now just click OK and then save the PDF as Encapsulated Postscript. You can then redistill to PDF or use as an .eps. Keep in mind for multi page you will need to put the transparent object on every page.
    michael_kulpa@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Acrobat 7 with the EPS save and CONVERT ALL TEXT TO OUTLINES will do
    just that without Pitstop.

    Just remember the fonts must be embedded first ...

    Jon
    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Jon,

    I looked and looked at the Save As > Encapsulated PostScript > Settings dialog box. I couldn't see that option on any of the panels.

    Steve
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    It's in the Transparency Flattening panel, Steve.
    Doug_Katz@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Of course, duh!
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    However this option only converts text to outline if the file has transparency and only converts the font sent via the print stream - the embedded font remains in vector/font format.

    To actual outline the font in the PDF - PS STill is the way to go.
    Harry_Redknapp@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Dudes, much easier way to do this.

    To outline the fonts of any page in a PDF, open a new Illustrator document. Place the the pdf (as link). Select the object, Menu > Object / Flatten transparency. Check the Convert all text to outlines option.

    Save back as a PDF if you need to.

    Job: Done.
    stef Guest

  16. #16

    Thumbs up Re: Outline Fonts in PDF

    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Dudes, much easier way to do this.

    To outline the fonts of any page in a PDF, open a new Illustrator document. Place the the pdf (as link). Select the object, Menu > Object / Flatten transparency. Check the Convert all text to outlines option.

    Save back as a PDF if you need to.

    Job: Done.
    Thank you stef! you made my day :)

    I always need my fonts outlined because I use illustrator and sometimes need to change the colour to match pantones
    uncorntangy Guest

  17. #17

    Thank you stef...i think that is the answer everyone was looking for. Why is everyone so concerned about their preferred way, just answer the question and say, "however, i prefer to do it this way". So much more productive. Sounds like a lot of commenters just did not know they answer...if you don't know the specific answer leave your comments out and stop wasting time on the world wide comment web.
    Unregistered Guest

  18. #18

    Thumbs up Re: Outline Fonts in PDF

    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    dudes, much easier way to do this.

    To outline the fonts of any page in a pdf, open a new illustrator document. Place the the pdf (as link). Select the object, menu > object / flatten transparency. Check the convert all text to outlines option.

    Save back as a pdf if you need to.

    Job: Done.
    thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!
    Will Guest

  20. #20

    If you're having trouble getting the Flattener Preview panel in Acrobat to outline fonts in your PDF, it's because there probably aren't any transparancies in the document to flatten. There's a quick and easy way to add one to get it to function... try this:

    > Open PDF
    > Add watermark (in the text field, press the spacebar, then set the opacity to 0%), click OK
    > Open Flattener Preview panel
    > Check "Convert All Text to Outlines" and Check "Apply to all pages in document", click Apply
    > Click "OK"
    > Save PDF as filename_v2.pdf

    Hope this helps.
    Unregistered Guest