Professional Web Applications Themes

Outlook Express-AOL-Hotmail ??? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I've read several past threads on this but need more help. I am trying to start using Outlook Express. AOL sends me to CompUSA and the latter shoves me right back to AOL. I can't get registered in Hotmail, don't know why...and am told I can use Outlook Express with hotmail. I am about ready to toss AOL out the window. Is there any big advantage to using AOL? If not then what other choices do I have? Daughter uses outlook and I opened some pictures but the last one in pdf won't open unless I can do it with ...

  1. #1

    Default Outlook Express-AOL-Hotmail ???

    I've read several past threads on this but need more help. I am trying to start using Outlook Express. AOL sends me to CompUSA and the latter shoves me right back to AOL.
    I can't get registered in Hotmail, don't know why...and am told I can use Outlook Express with hotmail.
    I am about ready to toss AOL out the window. Is there any big advantage to using AOL? If not then what other choices do I have?
    Daughter uses outlook and I opened some pictures but the last one in pdf won't open unless I can do it with Outlook...???
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Outlook Express-AOL-Hotmail ???

    Marty, you can't use any other mail application to send aol mail. In other words, if you are trying to send receive mail to martyladoltaol (or whatever your screen name there is) it's invisible to anything but aol mail.

    But if you have another mail account, like hotmail or yahoo, you can use those while you are connected to the internet via aol, but you can't access them using the aol software. That's when you would want another program.

    What made you decide you want aol? It's usually the worst choice unless there's nothing else available in your area or if you do a tremendous amount of traveling and need to be able to check your mail constantly wherever you go.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  3. #3

    BARBARA B,
    Golly Barbara, I've had AOL around 20 years and am just beginning to hear all the negative about it...including its high cost. Have you ever heard of "Excel".
    My daughter has it and it's much cheaper.
    Darn it, another example of my "over kill", ... get the best attitude doesn't always work.
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

  4. #4

    Marty, the only "Excel" I've heard of is part of Microsoft Office, nothing to do with the internet. Sorry, can't help you there.

    I have a $5 a month dial-up service, but I think it's a tougher choice with a pc since you often need software from your isp to use the internet, or at least to set things up if you aren't very computer savvy. Also I don't need to rely on the isp mail server, which also makes a big difference.

    If you've been using aol all this time, I would stick with it. Just tell people to zip anything they mail to you so that aol mail doesn't mess with the files.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  5. #5

    Marty,

    I used PeoplePC.com for about 5 years before switching to cable and found it
    very good. Connection speeds were 49.9 and their customer service was good.
    I think they are $16.95/month now.

    But there are a lot of ISP's out there including some that are less than
    $10/month. It may take a little learning to switch from AOL but worth it in
    my opinion.

    If you stay with AOL though and have WinXP their newest version is much
    better I hear. 8.0? I read somewhere that it was not for earlier versions
    of windows. At least the new e mail that is more compatible with everyone
    else.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  6. #6

    Marty,

    I am an AOL user and I also have a Hotmail account. And I do access that with Outlook Express. Contact me at [email]jl_amersonhotmail.com[/email] and I'll try to anwer any questions for you. This forum really isn't the proper place to discuss the pros and cons of AOL. :-)
    JoAnn Amerson Guest

  7. #7

    Marty,

    I've used AOL for years and I am one of the few persons who hasn't got a gripe with it. LOL.

    But I use Hotmail all the time,too. I first went to it using IE to find it and join. Then I copied the URL and went back to AOL and pasted it (putting it in my favorites when I got there) - so I use Hotmail all the time from my Favorites in AOL.

    In IE, I use MSN.com as my homepage, so accessing hotmail from there is a cinch.

    I've found that in the places I can't interact in from AOL - I can in IE and Vice versa.

    Hope this helps, and good luck.

    Lorace
    Lorace Graham Guest