Professional Web Applications Themes

Output Error message...Bug? - Adobe Indesign Windows

[url]ftp://ftp.courierprinting.net[/url] Thanks Bob. I just don't have a clue then what is going on. I have CS3.01 and XP Pro SP1 with all critical updates on two computers and they both exhibit this behavior. Though my XP home SP1 and Win2k comps don't have this problem at all. I have one other XP pro comp that I can try it on and that is at home. I'll try (if I remember) tomorrow night. thanks, Bryce...

Default Re: Output Error message...Bug?

[url]ftp://ftp.courierprinting.net[/url]

Thanks Bob. I just don't have a clue then what is going on. I have CS3.01 and XP Pro SP1 with all critical updates on two computers and they both exhibit this behavior. Though my XP home SP1 and Win2k comps don't have this problem at all. I have one other XP pro comp that I can try it on and that is at home. I'll try (if I remember) tomorrow night.

thanks,
    Bryce
    Bryce_Steiner@adobeforums.com Guest

I think you're swimming upstream on this one Bryce.

k

Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

To Bob & Ken,

We'll I found out what the problem was (after several Windows reinstalls last night). I now have Win2k on. I think this is a bug with ID CS (in my opinion).

I installed Win2k and tried ID CS again with the same file and again received the same error message. Well i remembered that I always move the swap file for Windows on a seperate drive than C:. I change it because Photoshop likes to have a seperate swap file on another drive. I put another swap file back on C: and now it works file.

thanks for you help. Do you have any comments on that?

thanks,
    Bryce

That's not it either. My paging file is another drive.

Bob

Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

Going off at a tangent Bryce, is there any possibility that the XP
    machine(s) just happened to have a corrupt version of one of the fonts in
    the doent? And something I asked a bit back but I don't think you
    answered, can you print to a Postscript printer? And if you can't, can you
    print to a non-Postscript printer? I'm not sure what the relevance of any of
    these questions is other than they might add another set of parameters with
    which to define the problem.

k

Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

I have the exact same fonts I backuped my fonts before reinstall.

It's funny that that's what fixed it though was having the Pagefile on both drives. No, I can't print to a PS printer either. I don't have a nonPS printer setup.

Thanks,
    bryce

We'll I thought I had it all figured out. On win2k I found that if I had a page file on C: it would go fine. We'll I reisntalled XP Pro and still get the same stinkin' error. I'm really getting frustrated. I would stay with win2k but the plugins and various palete windows of Acrobat and Freehand are massive even with high resolution screen.

thanks,
    Bryce

I am running XP Pro SP1 and tried feathering two CMYK tiffs, placing them on top of each other, and printing to a PS file, and it works fine for me. I wonder if it's something in your doent...?
    Amy_Stewart@adobeforums.com Guest

Hi Amy,

I don't think it's in the doent becaue I can print just fine from any computer that's not XP Pro. I think I figured out what it is though. I'll post later after I can verify it.

thanks,
    Bryce

I didn't figure it out. I thought I did, but no it still does it. My XP Home machines works fine but not my XP Pro machines. I've reinstalled Windows (various flavors) about 6 times now in the past week. Win2k works fine when installed on it, XP Pro fails to print my file everytime. I though maybe it's my Via IDE controller since my laptop has ALI, but my other XP pro computer that won't work either is Sis.

frustrating!?!

thanks for the suggestions.
    Bryce

Here is an update.

This morning I did a clean install of XP Pro. I have installed nothing else or changed any default settings (other than resolution of monitor). I then installed Indesign CS with 301 update. After the installation completed. I tried to print to PS file again (I have no printers installed). I used all the default settings for ID with PS file and I still received the same error message.

"The adobe print engine has failed to ouput your data due to an unknown problem."

I know now that it has nothing to do with any installed programs. It is either XP pro or ID CS.

I don't know what I'm going to do.

Bryce :(

Bryce,

Having tested your file, I can assure you it's neither. There's
    something else there. Have you posted all of your system specs, yet?
    (Sorry, but I don't feel like going through the whole thread)

Bob

Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest