Professional Web Applications Themes

Outputting to Agfa Imagesetter - Macromedia Freehand

Is anyone out there in FreeHand land using an AGFA Accuset 1000? My problem is that every now and then I've found that the ppd just stops working (I lose the abiltiy to select normal or draft, and when I go into the Freehand MX advanced options all I get is the print preview window. To fix the problem I've normally gone into the printer set up, deleted the printer and reinstalled it. This has worked every time except this time. Does anyone have any clue what I can do? The only thing we can think of to do is ...

  1. #1

    Default Outputting to Agfa Imagesetter

    Is anyone out there in FreeHand land using an AGFA Accuset 1000? My problem is
    that every now and then I've found that the ppd just stops working (I lose the
    abiltiy to select normal or draft, and when I go into the Freehand MX advanced
    options all I get is the print preview window. To fix the problem I've normally
    gone into the printer set up, deleted the printer and reinstalled it. This has
    worked every time except this time. Does anyone have any clue what I can do?
    The only thing we can think of to do is to un-install and then re-install
    Freehand. (I'm able to output from Illustrator,, btw, not that I WANT to! ;-))

    Thanks,
    Label Guy

    Label Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Outputting to Agfa Imagesetter

    Label Guy,

    What OS are you working in? If it is OSX, you can try Printer Setup Repair for Panther or Tiger and see if it helps.

    David
    davecc Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for your help, David. I still have one problem though, I can't find
    printer set up repair! I'm in Panther, btw...

    thanks again,

    Label Guy

    (if I find it I'll post again, so as not to bother anyone!:-))

    Label Guest

  5. #5

    Label Guy,

    Try this link.

    David

    davecc Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks again, David. I'll have to download it and give it a shot ? next time it happens... it's all inexplicably working again!

    cheers,
    Label Guy
    Label Guest

  7. #7

    Label Guy wrote:

    FHMX Page Setup is more important under Mac OS X than OS 9. Are you setting
    it for the target printer?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks for the suggestion Judy, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. It's
    getting VERY strange. Works for an hour or two and then stops working. Might
    re-install FreeHand still...

    thanks, again

    Label Guy

    Label Guest

  9. #9

    Label Guy wrote:

    I assume you're on Mac OS X. Which version?

    Do you ever use the Apple 'Save as PDF' feature? I've had problems in the
    past, under Jaguar OS I believe, that after using that feature I could not
    access the FH advanced print settings for the same file. The solution was to
    delete my custom print presets. Log out after doing so to clear settings
    held in RAM. If you've saved any custom presets, you'll find them in:

    User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.custompresets.plist

    I find it interesting that the print presets include the filename of the
    doent you were printing when the preset was created. Never save a print
    preset when printing a top secret job. ;-)

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  10. #10

    Label Guy,

    Maybe your PPD somehow got corrupted. Try going the manufacturers website and download a new PPD and see if that helps.

    David
    davecc Guest

  11. #11

    Okay... the problem has been solved! If anyone has the same problem, here's
    what worked for us. It turns out that this was only happening in certain files.
    We decided to open an old file to see if we could access the advanced features
    and lo and behold we could! So, we just pasted the jobs I was trying to output
    into new files and re-saved them! That's it! All that after trying all of Judy
    and David's ideas (thanks again, I really appreciate it, they were all worth a
    shot! :-)) We also went throught the rigamarole of re-installing FreeHand
    *sigh*.

    All this happened a week or so before I get a brand new system, so I'll
    probably have a whole lot of new problems over the next couple of weeks...

    thanks again,
    Label Guy

    Label Guest

  12. #12

    Label Guy wrote:

    You mean you're not going to go to all the rigamarole of finding out how the
    affected doents became corrupted in the first place? What kind of sleuth
    are you, anyway? ;-)

    Ah, the joy of progress. Good luck.

    Judy

    Judy Guest

  13. #13

    "You mean you're not going to go to all the rigamarole of finding out how the
    affected doents became corrupted in the first place? What kind of sleuth
    are you, anyway? ;-)"

    I would love to find out how the files got corrupted, but I'm afraid I don't
    have the technical know-how to do it! In other words I don't have a clue where
    to start looking. :'( We do have someone here in Label Land who has some
    technical expertise in that area, so if he gets around to investigating, I'll
    post the results!

    Anyway, Judy, in answer to your question I'm a lousy sleuth!! :'(

    cheers,
    Label Guy

    Label Guest