Professional Web Applications Themes

Overlay or non DTS - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi guys, Whats more efficient; using a flash sprite as an animated overlay or adding it to the stage with the 3d member's dts turned off? I want to create a UI for my game and currently use the DTS turned off method but it slows down performance considerably. I tried the overlay approach but found that the quality of the image was less than perfect and it affected performance too. :( What do you guys do when creating a UI that appears on top of a 3d sprite? Barry's FPS demo is a perfect example of what I want ...

  1. #1

    Default Overlay or non DTS

    Hi guys,

    Whats more efficient; using a flash sprite as an animated overlay or adding
    it to the stage with the 3d member's dts turned off?

    I want to create a UI for my game and currently use the DTS turned off
    method but it slows down performance considerably. I tried the overlay
    approach but found that the quality of the image was less than perfect and
    it affected performance too. :(

    What do you guys do when creating a UI that appears on top of a 3d sprite?
    Barry's FPS demo is a perfect example of what I want - the scoring and map
    grafix are basically what I'm trying to achieve too.

    BTW I'm using Flash for my UI because I know it - I'm learning Director as I
    go along!

    Cheers,

    GP

    Gianpiero Colagiacomo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Overlay or non DTS

    For overlays:

    - Use textures whose size is a power of 2 : 32 x 32, 64 x 64, 128 x 128 for
    crisp display

    - Use a texture with an alpha channel (e.g a PSD or a TIFF) if you need an
    opacity mask (i.e to see through the shape of your interface elements)

    - You can export your Flash animations as a series of bitmaps that you
    import into Director instead of importing the SWF. Making the SWF playhead
    move overtime in Director to update the animated overlay is not a very good
    approach as it is slow.

    Should you want to animate an overlay from a series of bitmaps, you can use
    the Overlay Tweening behavior from the Chrome Lib:
    [url]http://membres.lycos.fr/karlsigiscar/shockwave3d[/url] and copy/paste the Lingo
    code if you want to adapt to your game.

    Karl.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  3. #3

    Karl,

    Unfortunately exporting my Flash elements as bitmaps is not an option - the
    flash UI isn't animated using the timeline, it's animated using actionscript
    receiving input from Director so the main timeline only has 1 frame.

    Apart from already knowing flash the other reason for implementing a flash
    UI is because most of the UI elements were already in existance as I'd
    started work on a Flash only version of my game last year - never got to the
    end of the project due to other commitments (the game was more of a hobby
    than work) however.

    Am I just going the wrong way about this? Should I scrap my Flash UI and
    concentrate on learning to te these elements in Director? The
    reduction in FPS is quite noticeable - without the UI I'm getting near 50
    fps, with it the FPS drop to around 30 (non DTS 3d sprite with flash sprite
    on top).

    Cheers,

    GP

  4. #4

    Yes, you have to develop your own overlay based interface elements such as
    buttons, radio buttons or menus using some bitmaps and Lingo codes.This is
    the only way to go if you want a high framerate.

    Karl.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  5. #5

    He can use Toxi´s overlay button script: [url]www.toxi.co.uk[/url]
    --
    Agustín María Rodríguez | [email]agustinOnWine.com.ar[/email] | [url]www.OnWine.com.ar[/url]

    Agustín María Rodríguez Guest

  6. #6

    The Chrome Lib is primarily a set of 60+ 3D behaviors but also contains 3D
    parent scripts for developers.

    New parent scripts have just been added:

    *** Overlay contextual menu parent scripts !!!
    *** Overlay buttons parent scripts !!!
    *** Billboard parent script !!!
    Fog Tweening parent script.
    W3D Loader.
    XMLParsingReliable (handler callback after parsing)

  7. #7

    Lovely! Thanks for that Karl...

    GP

  8. #8

    You're welcome.

    On the Chrome Lib homepage, click on the screenshot on the right to
    download.

    The download link points to director3d.de and the version there has not been
    updated yet. It will be tomorrow.

    Cheers,
    Karl.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest