Professional Web Applications Themes

P100, no CD-ROM, 8 megs of memory Linus install please - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Just wondering if there is a linux OS I can install on this computer. I will look for more memory and other parts (NIC, etc), but as of now it only has 8 megs of ram and no CD-Rom drive. I'd like to use it for something, so is there a floppy install I can D/L ? I will get it on my network sooner or later, so a network install will soon be possible. If anything I can use it to setup a practice firewall and stuff like that...I can also get used to working in terminal mode also. ...

  1. #1

    Default P100, no CD-ROM, 8 megs of memory Linus install please

    Just wondering if there is a linux OS I can install on this computer.
    I will look for more memory and other parts (NIC, etc), but as of now
    it only has 8 megs of ram and no CD-Rom drive.

    I'd like to use it for something, so is there a floppy install I can
    D/L ?

    I will get it on my network sooner or later, so a network install will
    soon be possible.

    If anything I can use it to setup a practice firewall and stuff like
    that...I can also get used to working in terminal mode also.

    Thanks,

    Please post reply
    Steve Guest

  2. #2

    Steve <com> writes:

    Maybe some old slackware 2 or so.

    There are single floppy firewall kits available.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    se

  3. #3

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 01:31:01 +0100, se (Måns Rullgård) wrote:

    >Maybe some old slackware 2 or so.

    >There are single floppy firewall kits available.[/ref]

    I found something called Monkey Linux that looks good. Based on
    Slackware, 5-6 floppies.

    I'm still searching the internet for more...thanks for your reply.

    Steve Guest

  4. #4

    "Steve" <com> wrote in message
    no.

    But its quite likely you could install something from a cdrom that is
    temporarily installed.
    Even a dvd drive would work !

    OR you could put the hard drive into another computer and load an OS that
    way.

    Leon. Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>,
    Steve <com> wrote:

    Your options would be vastly better if you had a CD Rom just for long
    enough to do the install. There are tons of options:

    http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Distributions/Tiny/

    For your box, I'd start with this one: http://tinylinux.sourceforge.net/

    In days gone by, mostly out of desperation, I've installed debian with
    no media whatsoever, starting with a network boot. No floppy, no CD,
    (but with another machine on a local network). Not the simplest thing,
    obviously.

    My first linux install was on a 386 with 8MB, but it was a royal pain,
    mainly because of the memory constraint not the processor. I had
    already forgotten that, and you reminded me... Yggdrasil.

    James

    james Guest

  6. #6

    Steve wrote:

    Get the network card and install Debian. All you need are two floppies
    (IIRC) to start the network installation. You should be able to install
    the current release on that box, as long you stay away from X.

    Often people will suggest installing an old version of a distro on old
    hardware. I (personally) recommend staying with something current.
    Older distros will likely have unpatched security flaws that are fixed
    in current ones and can have nightmarish dependency problems if you try
    to install newer software (be it packaged or compiled from source).
    I've had good luck with the current Debian/stable release on older
    hardware, although in fairness I should point out that I never tried
    anything less than 16MB RAM.
    John-Paul Guest

  7. #7

    Steve wrote:

    Try googling "floppy based linux firewall."
    Jim Guest