Professional Web Applications Themes

PackageMaker ignoring files - Please help - Mac Programming

Hi Using PackageMaker, I have built an install package for a Unix utility which has files that go into /usr/sbin. PackageMaker inserts the files into the Archive.pax.gz archive, but it does not list them in the Archive.bom bills of materials file. As a result, the installer simply ignores those files and they do not get installed. Yet, Package maker proudly displays a dialog telling me that the install package has been created *without any problems". What kind of a braindamaged tool is this? Where is Apple's touted attention to detail and thriving for excellence? As far as I can see, ...

  1. #1

    Default PackageMaker ignoring files - Please help

    Hi

    Using PackageMaker, I have built an install package for a Unix utility
    which has files that go into /usr/sbin. PackageMaker inserts the files
    into the Archive.pax.gz archive, but it does not list them in the
    Archive.bom bills of materials file. As a result, the installer simply
    ignores those files and they do not get installed.

    Yet, Package maker proudly displays a dialog telling me that the
    install package has been created *without any problems".

    What kind of a braindamaged tool is this? Where is Apple's touted
    attention to detail and thriving for excellence? As far as I can see,
    this couldn't have been done with more sloppiness.

    Yes, I know that I can install into a different location and provide a
    postinstall script to move files to their proper places, but what's
    the point of PackageMaker if I have to write my own installer code? I
    may as well do the entire installer in shell script and call it from
    some GUI wrapper. Besides, if there is any limitation, why does
    PackageMaker not tell us about it? Why does it claim "without any
    problems"?

    Am I missing something here or is this the most mediocre piece of
    software ever written?

    What are you guys doing when you have to install files that go into
    various places PackageMaker doesn't seem to like?

    thx
    rgds
    bk
    BK Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PackageMaker ignoring files - Please help

    "Mediocre" is a bit weak for PackageMaker :) I'd say it's more like
    steaming pile of dog droppings.

    Anyway, if your files go only in /usr/bin, you need to just specify
    /usr/bin as the install directory. If not, you need to set up your root
    directory with subfolders matching the disk arrangement. For example, if
    you have files which go into /etc, /usr/lib, and /usr/bin your
    packagemaker root folder should be set up as follows:

    Root/
    etc/
    files_that_go_into_etc
    usr/
    bin/
    files_that_go_in_usr_bin
    lib/
    files_that_go_in_usr_lib

    In this case you set the install folder to /

    Unfortunately that won't work if you need to have the user select an
    install location for some other files.

    In article <google.com>,
    com (BK) wrote:

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> suespammers <dot> org
    Personal: http://www.mc-development.com/

  3. #3

    Mike Cohen <com> wrote ...

    :-)

    I won't argue with this.

    Well, that is precisely what I did.

    That is what I did, and PackageMaker did recognise the files. It did
    put them into the Archive.pax.tgz file just fine. What it DID NOT DO
    was entering all the files into the Archive.bom (bills of materials)
    file.

    This causes the installer later to IGNORE those files that are not in
    the BOM file even though they are in the archive of the install
    package.

    This happens to all files that are placed in /usr and below. There are
    also other instances, but /usr is the most consistent case.

    That's not a problem in my case, because I wouldn't want users to be
    able to determine any locations for system level stuff anyway. For the
    accompanying software that goes into /Applications which should be
    user relocatable, I made a separate package with the intend to
    consolidate them into a meta package (.mpkg) later on.

    Anyway, for now, I ended up writing an entire installer engine in
    shell script and use that as a postinstall script to move the files
    PackageMaker has a problem with from /tmp to their proper
    destinations. Installing them to /private/tmp does seem to work
    consistently.

    However, this has wasted three entire days of my time. Thank you Apple
    for this most mediocre piece of software and your proposterous
    attitude to let PackageMaker report back "The package has been created
    without any problems", Ha!

    Microsoft couldn't have possibly been doing any worse. And I am saying
    this as one of the most anti-Microsoft biased people on this planet.

    Whoever is responsible for PackageMaker, should be teared and
    feathered and quartered and then burned at the stake and finally fed
    to the pigs.

    And the next time I hear somebody telling me how superior everthing
    Apple is, I will have a story to tell about how mediocre those
    Cupertino folks can be.

    thx anyway
    rgds
    bk