Professional Web Applications Themes

Packaging looking for fonts not used (on XP) - Adobe Indesign Windows

I'm just starting with Indesign CS (long time PageMaker user) on my Windows XP box. When running "Save for Service Provider", the preflight (and "Package" even if "copy fonts" isn't checked), searches for fonts not used in the file. And I do mean not used -- fonts like Arial CYR and BALTIC. I didn't use any foreign fonts/characters (or even Arial, for that matter) in the file. This is drastically slowing down the process. Any ideas? Thanks!!...

  1. #1

    Default Packaging looking for fonts not used (on XP)

    Nancy_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Packaging looking for fonts not used (on XP)

    Do these fonts appear when you go to the 'Type' menu and 'Find font'?

    This window will show you where the fonts appear in your doent.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Haven't tried that yet -- only been using ID a few days and still learning its features. But the list of fonts it's looking for was quite extensive and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I didn't place any text using it. For instance, all the foreign iterations of Arial and Times New Roman (forget the fact that I didn't even use the English versions of those two). It was originally a very large list of fonts and, in trying to debug this myself, I recognized many that were installed via ATM but not used in the file. I went into ATM and deactivated all but the bare minimum and, sure enough, it quit looking for those. But it was still looking for some pretty oddball ones (like mentioned above). This is on my work computer so I'll have to try "Type" and "Find Font" tomorrow. Thanks.
    Nancy_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Nancy,

    These fonts could also be in EPS or PDF files placed in your ID file.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Good guess, but no PDFs or EPS images were placed in this file. Just a simple four page newsletter made up mostly of text plus some TIFF images. It seems to be looking for _all_ system installed fonts. While I didn't install the foreign language versions via ATM, perhaps XP does this on its own.

    As part of my debugging, I moved from the Windows\Fonts directory everything but the bare essentials but that didn't fix the problem. Perhaps it has to do with the registry. I'm also brand new on XP (only went to it so I could run ID CS) and haven't learned how it differs from 98 in this regard.
    Nancy_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    How did you get to XP from 98?

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Long story short. Wanted to upgrade PM to ID CS so had to go to XP, which meant I had to get a whole new computer! Never change computers, Operating System, and upgrade/change your three major software packages all at once -- while still trying to put out production!
    Nancy_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Duh, me!! My apologies. I'm going back and forth between PageMaker and InDesign during this evolution and in dealing with various problems, got the two mixed up on this one. It's PageMaker that goes crazy searching for fonts when I use "Save for Service Provider" -- haven't had to do it yet in InDesign. By the way, finally tried out "Find Font" -- cool!! A lovely and most useful tool. Thanks, everyone. I'll try over at the PM list on this one.
    Nancy_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    PageMaker's scripts go a little wacky in WinXP (sometimes 'a lot wacky'). I have experienced the same problem. It has been previously suggested that one updates their 'Save for Service Provider' script in the downloads section of adobe.com.

    Since acquiring InDesign, I open the PageMaker doent and then immediately package it as an InDesign doent to properly bundle the fonts. I include the original PageMaker doent in the package that goes to the service provider.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Good work-around solution. Since converted PM files would require too much fixing -- and the client has approved what PM produced -- this would be a good way to at least get the fonts correctly bundled. I've been using ID for all new publications, but there's tons in the pipeline still in PM. Thanks!
    Nancy_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest