Professional Web Applications Themes

page cycle and long query - tough one - ASP.NET General

Hi Basically I call a page that does a very long op (like very long database query) and display results (possible on another page) But I need to display a progress bar for user to see some progress (dummy but at least something) no frames There is an old trick in cgi/ asp for a page that has a long operation Response.buffering is set false and initially div with progress bar is displayed when page finally fully loads (when op is completed) onload function makes div invisible but for web forms does not work it seems untill page_loads for controls ...

  1. #1

    Default page cycle and long query - tough one

    Hi

    Basically I call a page that does a very long op
    (like very long database query)
    and display results (possible on another page)

    But I need to display a progress bar
    for user to see some progress (dummy but at least something)

    no frames

    There is an old trick in cgi/ asp
    for a page that has a long operation
    Response.buffering is set false and
    initially div with progress bar is displayed
    when page finally fully loads (when op is completed)
    onload function makes div invisible

    but for web forms does not work it seems
    untill page_loads for controls finish nothing is displayed whatsoever

    Response.bufferoutput is set to false
    But that is where op is performed
    or is it?

    udeas???

    Thanks
    GSL

    greg Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: page cycle and long query - tough one

    You might want to try using a meta refresh tag and run the query in a
    different thread...

    Here's a good article:

    [url]http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2002_11/magazine/features/chester/[/url]

    With this you could even have a real progress bar.

    --
    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer

    Free code library at:
    [url]www.aboutfortunate.com[/url]

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzche
    "greg" <greglinsauctionNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Basically I call a page that does a very long op
    > (like very long database query)
    > and display results (possible on another page)
    >
    > But I need to display a progress bar
    > for user to see some progress (dummy but at least something)
    >
    > no frames
    >
    > There is an old trick in cgi/ asp
    > for a page that has a long operation
    > Response.buffering is set false and
    > initially div with progress bar is displayed
    > when page finally fully loads (when op is completed)
    > onload function makes div invisible
    >
    > but for web forms does not work it seems
    > untill page_loads for controls finish nothing is displayed whatsoever
    >
    > Response.bufferoutput is set to false
    > But that is where op is performed
    > or is it?
    >
    > udeas???
    >
    > Thanks
    > GSL

    S. Justin Gengo Guest

  3. #3

    Hi,

    I think you can do the same thing if you set Response.BufferOutput = false
    and/or use Reponse.Flush().

    Best regards,

    Marc Hoeppner
    NeoGeo

    "greg" <greglinsauctionNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Basically I call a page that does a very long op
    > (like very long database query)
    > and display results (possible on another page)
    >
    > But I need to display a progress bar
    > for user to see some progress (dummy but at least something)
    >
    > no frames
    >
    > There is an old trick in cgi/ asp
    > for a page that has a long operation
    > Response.buffering is set false and
    > initially div with progress bar is displayed
    > when page finally fully loads (when op is completed)
    > onload function makes div invisible
    >
    > but for web forms does not work it seems
    > untill page_loads for controls finish nothing is displayed whatsoever
    >
    > Response.bufferoutput is set to false
    > But that is where op is performed
    > or is it?
    >
    > udeas???