Professional Web Applications Themes

Page Width - Adobe Acrobat Windows

When I print to Distiller it is version 4, I read with Reader 6. It sounds like I need Distiller 6, or rather the full version of Acrobat 6, to be able to print the entire webpage that lies outside of my monitor. The Save As I was talking about is Save As Copy and that is in the Distiller 4...it is the only save option I am given. This is after having converted the webpage to PDF. One thing still bothers me. If the problem is not being able to convert the portion of the page that runs off ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Page Width

    When I print to Distiller it is version 4, I read with Reader 6. It sounds like I need Distiller 6, or rather the full version of Acrobat 6, to be able to print the entire webpage that lies outside of my monitor. The Save As I was talking about is Save As Copy and that is in the Distiller 4...it is the only save option I am given. This is after having converted the webpage to PDF. One thing still bothers me. If the problem is not being able to convert the portion of the page that runs off the right side of my monitor how come no matter how far off the screen downward the page goes all pages are converted, just not past the right edge of the screen?

    I'm going to be on the road until Monday and while I'll try to answer any replies I may not be able to until next week.
    Carter Sherline Guest

  2. #2

    When you print from Reader try using the page scaling options (to the left of the preview image. Perhaps if you selected Page Scaling set to Shrink large pages and the option to autorotate and center, you might be able to print the entire page.

    However, this may still be a problem. The issue to recogise is that a Web page has no idea of what a printed page is. When you capture a Web page some lines in the PDF can be very long because there's no auto wrapping once you're outside the browser. Reader has no functions to take the long lines and reformat them nor is there any concept in a browser of the length of a page - so again in Reader, there's no means to automatically chop up a captured PDF image of a Web page into physical pages.

    However, the Web Capture feature in full acrobat may be able to do something in this direction. I have just tried using the Acrobat button that the full version of Acrobat provides in Internet Explorer. Converting a long Web page into a PDF seems to be rapid, it faithfully reproduces the page image and chops the PDF into pages acording to the default page size set in Acrobat. Using the shrink large pages I get a neatly paginated result at 94% scale on European A4.

    So it looks like Full Acrobat and Web capture will solve your problems but check here to see if you need standard or pro version
    <http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/matrix.html>

    This doent <http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/pdfs/acrobat6faq.pdf>
    appears to indicate that Standard version supports Web Capture, but if this is the important feature, then you should check before buying.
    Cheers
    Ian
    Ian_Burton@home_in_Paris.fr Guest