Professional Web Applications Themes

Pagemaker equivalents - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am transitioning from PageMaker to Indesign and have the following questions 1. I miss the F9 toggle switch that jumps between the direct select arrow and whatever tool you were using previously. Can InDesign do this also? How? 2. Is there anyway to import my dictionary from PageMaker to Indesign as it has a lot of custom words and jargon. 3. Is there a script to perform the function of the wordcount and change case plug-ins. Thanks R. Yurick...

  1. #1

    Default Pagemaker equivalents

    Rick_Yurick@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pagemaker equivalents

    What version of InDesign are you using?

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I am using CS
    Rick_Yurick@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Do you have the PM plugins?

  5. #5

    1. I miss the F9 toggle switch that jumps between the direct select arrow
    and whatever tool you were using previously. Can InDesign do this also?
    How?

    You can define your own shortcuts via Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts.

    2. Is there anyway to import my dictionary from PageMaker to Indesign
    as it has a lot of custom words and jargon.

    Don't know.

    3. Is there a script to perform the function of the wordcount and change
    case plug-ins.

    There is an InDesign Scripting Forum, try asking there. Wait a sec, Hey Bob, doesn't ID already do this? I know you can change to Title Case, CAPS, Sentence case and lowercase but wordcount? Do you really need a plug-in for that?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Gabriel--

    re: "doesn't ID already do this?"

    Yes. Select some text and choose a case change from the context menu.

    Word counting is available in the Info palette.

    re: "Do you really need a plug-in for that?"

    Yes, because *everything* in InDesign is provided by a plug-in.<g> It's a totally modular application (unlike old-style monlithic applications such as PageMaker or QuarkXPress). But you don't need an *additional* plug-in to get the features--they're provided as part of the basic plug-in set that is InDesign.

    Thanks,

    Ole
    Olav_Kvern@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    1. Edit Keyboard shortcuts
    2. NO! Blast it!
    3. Info palette

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  8. #8

    Thank you for all your help. It's good to see some of the same people who helped me in the old PageMaker form.

    I did get the PageMaker version of CS and I installed a few of the plug-ins that I thought I would use. I have gone over some of the tutorials for transitioning and have found them useful.

    I'm waiting for Mr. Kern's book to be released. I always thought your writing in the old Aldus magazine was very useful and sometimes humorous.

    I am also one of those people who kept a Quick Reference guides for all my Adobe programs near my keyboard. Short of printing out the online tables of keyboard conversions, which I admit is very thorough, has anyone come across a PDF version of a Quick Reference card similar to the old ones. I can see that the context sensitive menus will be useful once I get the hang of them.

    As for the dictionary transition, I assume that it's just a matter of reentering my unique vocabulary.

    Rick Yurick
    Rick_Yurick@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    It's good to see some of the same people who helped me in the old PageMaker
    form.

    If you are referring to me, you're welcome. :)
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest