Professional Web Applications Themes

Pagemaker Table file Converter needed ! - Adobe Indesign Windows

I need to (hopefully) batch convert 1,000s of old Pagemaker Table .tbl files to text to place into Indesign Tables. I did a search for a script as such but no luck. Any pointers? Thanks Trevor...

  1. #1

    Default Pagemaker Table file Converter needed !

    skigb@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pagemaker Table file Converter needed !

    Also try posting this in the InDesign Scripting forum.

    Although the situation seems hopeless, maybe, just maybe someone there will be able to help you by creating a script or something that can help.

    Give it some time, soon others will respond with their solutions or comments.

    Are you presently able to convert these tables one at a time?

    What happens when you try opening the PageMaker file with InDesign; does it not convert the table with the rest of the publication?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    There is no conversion that I know of. The resulting placed images of the tables are eps files.

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  4. #4

    That's what I thought. I remember in my PageMaker days people used to tell me using the PM table was a bad thing. Good thing I listened.

    I just went into PageMaker and made a test table to see what it can be converted to and it really s. Only gives you the option to export as EPS or text.

    I tried some other things but I don't see a way to make it a normal table, not even in MS-Word. I think maybe you're stuck with those.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I tried to open a table with Indesign, Free Hand, Graphic Converter, Word etc. All efforts were useless.
    Why not import the tables into PM, print them with a good PS Printer & scan the tables with Omnipage? Version #8 or #10 (Mac) is flawless with tables. You get an ASCII file but all the numbers are separated by tabs. A lot of work has still to be done, so why not ask someone else to do the scanning?
    I cannot think of any other way out.

    MarioM
    MarioM@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks guys, It wouldn't be much of a task to open them with the Pagemaker table editor, save as text and then read them into excel if only a few, but because of the qty I was hoping for a batch converter. Thanks again, I will try posting again in the script forum.

    Trevor
    Shrewsbury
    UK
    skigb@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    You get an ASCII file but all the numbers are separated by tabs.

    In that case export to PDF and save as RTF from Acrobat or save as text straight from Adobe Table like skigb said.

    because of the qty I was hoping for a batch converter.

    To help speed things up what you can also do is hold the shift key while selecting the doents you want to open and print with PM, right click the files and you should see an option to print.

    The files will all open up in PM and the print dialog will appear immediately. Print them all to PDF and in Acrobat run the batch processing to save all as RTF.

    That's about as close as I'm going to be able to get you to a batch process doing this.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    skigb

    Try this on one of your tables:

    Select all, go into Microsoft Excel, click in upper left hand cell, and paste.

    You should get your table in excel. From there, you can output to text.

    Let me know how it works.

    Tom
    Tom_Glowka@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Wow!

    That was one of those; why didn't I think of that?

    Works like a charm.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Glad I could help.

    Remember, think outside the box.......

    Tom
    Tom Glowka Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks Tom, Have to clear the pastboard, easier than exporting to text file from table editor.
    Only another 3,200 to go!

  12. #12

    Only another 3,200 to go!

    Woohooo! At least now you know not to use the PM table for anything again. :/
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Only another 3,200 to go

    Where I come from, that's known as "job security" ;-)
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest