Professional Web Applications Themes

Paint bucket on text does not highlight - I can't see where it goes! - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

Pre-CS I used the paint bucket a lot to apply type styles, but in AI CS I cannot see where it is being applied as I drag it through the text. In AI 10 the text is highlighted with a box. I'm not sure if this is just a bug on my system or if this is the 'correct' behavoiur. I guess I hope it's a bug. Any advice?...

  1. #1

    Default Paint bucket on text does not highlight - I can't see where it goes!

    john.stevens@dsl.pipex.com Guest

  2. #2

    The highlight seems to have been replaced by the far more subtle and less precise minitature "T" next to the bucket when you hover over type and drag through it.
    Doug_Katz@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hmm, but I cant tell when drag 'through' several lines of text. I can't understand the design thinking behind this change, it's a functional step backward.
    john.stevens@dsl.pipex.com Guest

  4. #4

    Not easy to understand or defend. But it's not really a "functional" step backward, more of a UI step backward. Fact is, the color and/or appearance of your source type is, as always, applied from the point where you begin your drag through the target type to the point where you complete that drag.
    Doug_Katz@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    True enough - but the function has now been rendered effectively unusable for me. The hit & miss approach is totally frustrating, and I have given up using the tool, and have to use the eye dropper, which adds several clicks to each style application. I can't believe I am the only person to find it this troublesome.

    If only AI9 worked in OS X... So fast, so dependable.
    john.stevens@dsl.pipex.com Guest

  6. #6

    Anyway try this Doug create some point type then resize it using the selection tool and the shift key or just resize it by dragging the corner then cut or copy the text and paste it into a text frame and now color some of the text with the bucket tool.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Woah! Wuzupwitdat?
    Doug_Katz@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Oh I see why once you deselect the text it reverts to the default settings as to size font and tracking, etc.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest