Professional Web Applications Themes

Palette Well - Adobe Photoshop Elements

There may be a simple solution, but it has me stumped. I see a lot of references to using the palette well in PE2. I guess it must be on the right end of the screen to the right of the ? mark. It seems all I have there is a small window with..filters/undo history. I cannot get anything to open with TABS. I was experimenting with the recent thread about clouds and the plane with two of my photos. How do I get the folders with tabs? Thank you...

  1. #1

    Default Palette Well

    There may be a simple solution, but it has me stumped. I see a lot of references to using the palette well in PE2. I guess it must be on the right end of the screen to the right of the ? mark. It seems all I have there is a small window with..filters/undo history. I cannot get anything to open with TABS. I was experimenting with the recent thread about clouds and the plane with two of my photos. How do I get the folders with tabs?
    Thank you
    Earl Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Palette Well

    Earl, to make the palette well a useful size, you have to increase your
    screen resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768 - which brings about some
    challenges in reading the fine print. Once you do that, you'll have a well
    large enough hold about 6 or seven key 'folders'. If the well doesn't
    contain one that you want, you can open the folder by going to the Window
    option in the main toolbar, click on the one you want, and when it appears,
    click More and make sure Close to Palette Well is checked. Similarly, if
    there's one that's in the well that you never use, click on the tab, then
    click More, then unclick Close to Palette Well.

    Chuck

    Chuck Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Chuck, Mine is set at 800x600. I knew it had to be there somewhere, but even searching the manual, I was coming up empty. I know I learn a little bit more about this program everyday by reading the forum and trying the different problems. Guess I'll have to make a trip to Wally-World for paper and ink if I keep printing out these threads. Thanks again.
    Earl Guest

  4. #4

    Earl, while you're at WalMart you might want to buy some stronger reading
    glasses for the display when you make the switch to 1024x768.....

    :-)

    Chuck Guest

  5. #5

    I have to agree about the reading glasses, Chuck. LOL. I had the same problem, Earl, and changed my resolution and now the pallet works beautifully.

    If you never close the Layers pallet, I think you're better off. I've even learned how to grab it with the tiny arrows and make it longer. I haven't tried making it wider, though, which would be nice.

    Good luck, Earl. I'm learning, too, and get so excited whenever I have a little breatkthrough, even if it is just being able to use the pallet well.

    Chuck's replies are always so helpful. I have a notebook full of the printouts. Neat.

    Lorace
    Lorace Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks again Lorace and Chuck, Glasses???Hmmmm, wish I could keep my glasses on while using the computer. I have to remove them completely in order to make out anything on the screen or stand back about 5 feet. Couple years ago I even tried the "no line progressive Bifocals", big mistake, could not get use to them so after a couple months had to revert back to lined bifocals. Now if I could just figure out how to do these Challenges.....
    Earl Guest

  7. #7

    Earl-

    Don't know if you're old enuf to have had many eyeglass changes. I generally have a set of reading glasses composed of the reading part of the bifocals and they work pretty good at the computer.

    But here's my main point. Keep trying out all of your old glasses with earlier prescriptions. As they have changed and my eyes change over the years, I find that the old lenses give a better focus at computer-viewing distance. Try it.

    Al
    Al Guest

  8. #8

    Hey, that's a good one, Al! Time to start scrounging in drawers.
    Beth Guest

  9. #9

    Far be it from me to dispense medical advice without a license....but - my
    opthalmologist has shown great objectivity with me, in indicating that as I
    have no astigmatism or other eye abnormalities, it's perfectly acceptable
    for me to buy my reading glasses off the rack at
    Walgreen's/Eckerd/CVS/WalMart...! This, by the way, is a doctor who has an
    optical store as an adjunct to his practice! I started getting presbyopia
    at age 40, so I've been buying the magnifiers for a long time...
    The most I've ever paid for reading glasses is $55 (at a place called
    Reading Glasses to Go); current pair was under $10...

    :-)

    Chuck Guest

  10. #10

    presbyopia, eh. That certainly sounds serious.

    Al
    Al Guest

  11. #11

    Al....the literal translation is something like 'aging eyes'.....very
    appropriate!

    Chuck Guest

  12. #12

    When I drag the layers palette out of the well I can't get it to stay on the screen. As soon as I go to another tool it goes back into the well.
    Same thing with opening it from the "Window" menu. How do I get it to stay open all the time?

    Merrill
    Merrill_Mack@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Merrill,

    Trying to get my layers palette to go back in the well, .... the only way it
    does that for me is when I do not "drag" it out of the well. Clicking on it
    opens it but then like you say if you click another tool it collapses back
    into the well.

    But if you click on the folder tab that says "layers" (or whatever palette
    you choose), then "drag" it down near the bottom of your screen it will stay
    there even after going to any tool or other operation.

    If you want it to remain there for your next session with PSE go to
    edit/preferences/general and make sure the "save palette locations" is
    checked.

    Pete

    Pete_D@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14