Professional Web Applications Themes

Palm Sync with WallStreet II under OS X - Mac Portable

I fail to be able to have IR syncing nor serial syncing working with my Palm V and Palm Desktop 4.1 on my Powerbook G3/266 aka WallStreet II that is running on Mac OS X 10.2.5. I put the Palm V in syncmode as per instructions in the Palm manual and nothing happens with IR syncing. IR port is set to "serial" and "as fast as possible". IR have been turned off in Network (also tried set to on). When I try serial syncing with a Mac adapter for my serial cradle I do get the hotsync application starting in ...

  1. #1

    Default Palm Sync with WallStreet II under OS X

    I fail to be able to have IR syncing nor serial syncing working with my
    Palm V and Palm Desktop 4.1 on my Powerbook G3/266 aka WallStreet II
    that is running on Mac OS X 10.2.5. I put the Palm V in syncmode as per
    instructions in the Palm manual and nothing happens with IR syncing. IR
    port is set to "serial" and "as fast as possible". IR have been turned
    off in Network (also tried set to on).
    When I try serial syncing with a Mac adapter for my serial cradle I do
    get the hotsync application starting in OS X, so my Palm was able to
    send a "let's get synced" message indicating a real connection, but the
    sync never happens

    Is IR supposed to work with OS X? How can I verify that my IRport is
    functioning? The only IRequipment is the Palm I have. Any ideas on what
    I can do?
    Is serial supposed to work with OS X or do I have to get an USB adapter
    for the PCMCIA slot? I take it USB syncing will work, won't it? But why
    doesn't serial syncing work for me if there seems to be communication?
    Mikael Byström Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Palm Sync with WallStreet II under OS X

    No IR doesn't work w/sys OS X & Palm sync...

    Mikael Byström wrote:
    > I fail to be able to have IR syncing nor serial syncing working with my
    > Palm V and Palm Desktop 4.1 on my Powerbook G3/266 aka WallStreet II
    > that is running on Mac OS X 10.2.5. I put the Palm V in syncmode as per
    > instructions in the Palm manual and nothing happens with IR syncing. IR
    > port is set to "serial" and "as fast as possible". IR have been turned
    > off in Network (also tried set to on).
    > When I try serial syncing with a Mac adapter for my serial cradle I do
    > get the hotsync application starting in OS X, so my Palm was able to
    > send a "let's get synced" message indicating a real connection, but the
    > sync never happens
    >
    > Is IR supposed to work with OS X? How can I verify that my IRport is
    > functioning? The only IRequipment is the Palm I have. Any ideas on what
    > I can do?
    > Is serial supposed to work with OS X or do I have to get an USB adapter
    > for the PCMCIA slot? I take it USB syncing will work, won't it? But why
    > doesn't serial syncing work for me if there seems to be communication?
    Myron R. Smith Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bf1n00$oic$1unix2.broadviewnet.net>,
    "Myron R. Smith" <myrontiac.net> wrote:
    > No IR doesn't work w/sys OS X & Palm sync...
    Works for me between PBG4 Titanium and a Handspring Visor Edge using
    Palm Desktop. Haven't tried with a Wallstreet.

    -R.
    Richard Chang Guest

  4. #4

    Richard Chang <changnospam.com> wrote:
    > In article <bf1n00$oic$1unix2.broadviewnet.net>,
    > "Myron R. Smith" <myrontiac.net> wrote:
    >
    > > No IR doesn't work w/sys OS X & Palm sync...
    >
    > Works for me between PBG4 Titanium and a Handspring Visor Edge using
    > Palm Desktop. Haven't tried with a Wallstreet.
    Any suggestions on how to test my IRport? My OS 9 System is scaled down
    to the absoute minimal, so I don't think rebooting into OS 9 would help
    much.

    What about serial syncing. Noone ever tried that? I have a mac adapter
    and get contact, which is more than I get from IR. However, while the
    hotsync app starts it just keep running without any syncing at the Palm
    and then the Palm gives up.

    Do I need to update my Palm OS for it to work with OS X?
    Mikael Bystroem Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1fycwgg.htakpukbl7cwN%mikael.lastnamemac.com>,
    [email]mikael.lastnamemac.com[/email] (Mikael Bystroem) wrote:

    > Any suggestions on how to test my IRport? My OS 9 System is scaled down
    > to the absoute minimal, so I don't think rebooting into OS 9 would help
    > much.
    I just tried this on my Wallstreet I and could not make it work. The
    infrared options in the Network panel of System Preferences is very
    different from the one on my PBTi. On the PBTi, it says IrDA modem, on
    the Wallstreet, it says "infrared". On the PBTi, I can get a menubar
    icon to appear. This icon is very useful. It says if the IR port is
    active, connected, etc. This feature does not seem to be implemented on
    the Wallstreet. (Both machines are running 10.2.6.)

    -R.
    Richard Chang Guest

  6. #6

    you might need to kick down the connection speed a bit.. like to 9600 or
    so..

  7. #7

    I missed the beginning of this thread, and just caught the subject line
    now. So forgive me if my experiences have already been discussed!

    I have a PowerBook G3 233 (Wallstreet -- not sure what a Wallstreet II
    is), and have had trouble syncing it with my Palm ever since installing
    OS X. With OS X 10.1, it was simply not possible. With 10.2, it is
    possible, but not reliably, and not via IR. IR sync is totally,
    completely not possible on that machine with OS X.

    I eventually, with a lot of work, managed to get my Palm synced uder OS
    X 10.2.6 and Palm Desktop 4.0. But it was unreliable -- most of the
    time, I'd put my Palm in the cradle, push the HotSync button, and wait.
    The computer and the Palm would start trying to get a connection, but
    it would fail.

    The only way I could reliably get it to work was to log out, log back
    in, open the HotSync Manager, disable HotSync, enable it, and then
    press the HotSync button (with HotSync Manager still open).

    On my new PB G4, I can sync via USB without problems. It's just the
    old serial connection on the Wallstreet that seems to be the issue.
    Presumably you could put a USB PC card in the Wallstreet and sync that
    way, though I never tried it.

    --
    -Thomas

    e-mail me at thomasareed at philadelphia.net minus phil
    Thomas Reed Guest

  8. #8

    Yes The (older) TI's are DIFFERENT than the Wallstreets. I used to be
    able to infra red my palm under 9.x but not under X..
    My 800mghz TI doesn't even have infra red..

  9. #9

    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > The only way I could reliably get it to work was to log out, log back
    > in, open the HotSync Manager, disable HotSync, enable it, and then
    > press the HotSync button (with HotSync Manager still open).
    Thanks Thomas. I'll try that with my serial cradle.
    > On my new PB G4, I can sync via USB without problems. It's just the
    > old serial connection on the Wallstreet that seems to be the issue.
    > Presumably you could put a USB PC card in the Wallstreet and sync that
    > way, though I never tried it.
    I'm planning to buy one of those USB/Firewire combos anyway, so I might
    try this.
    > not sure what a Wallstreet II is
    The original spring 98 Wallstreet was available with 12', 13' and 14'
    display, CPU speeds 233, 250 and 300, system bus 83 mhz while the autumn
    98 Wallstreet II was only available with 14' display, CPU speeds was
    233, 266 and 292 I believe and the system bus 66 mhz. This is from top
    of my head so I excuse for any errors. I'm sure everymac.com have all
    details.
    Mikael Bystroem Guest

  10. #10

    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > The only way I could reliably get it to work was to log out, log back
    > in, open the HotSync Manager, disable HotSync, enable it, and then
    > press the HotSync button (with HotSync Manager still open).
    Well, I tried this and had some improvement as the sync now gets all the
    way to "identifying user", which does not happen otherwise. But it stops
    there.
    I'm using Palm 4.1 on OS X 10.2.5, so I'm not sure of that is affecting
    things or not.

    I have also been thinking that a Palm OS upgrade could perhaps make a
    difference. Does that sound likely? I have the default now.

    What versions of Palm OS, OS X and Palm Desktop did you have when this
    sequence worked for you?
    > On my new PB G4, I can sync via USB without problems. It's just the
    > old serial connection on the Wallstreet that seems to be the issue.
    > Presumably you could put a USB PC card in the Wallstreet and sync that
    > way, though I never tried it.
    I need to get a Firewire/USB anyway, but I have to be careful as I'm
    also buying the Echo Indigo soundcard and need to run both cards at the
    same time if possible. The indigo is as a type II card so I think I can
    run two type II in my port. If it will actually work in practise with
    all external gear is another story, of course.

    With G4 400 coming down to $7-800 it seems less likely I'm buying the
    500 mhz SonnetG4 card for this baby though.
    Mikael Bystroem Guest

  11. #11

    In article <1fymps5.6fu4oq15ipa8N%mikael.lastnamemac.com>, Mikael
    Bystroem <mikael.lastnamemac.com> wrote:
    > Well, I tried this and had some improvement as the sync now gets all the
    > way to "identifying user", which does not happen otherwise. But it stops
    > there.
    Yeah, that's where it usually stopped for me, too.
    > I'm using Palm 4.1 on OS X 10.2.5, so I'm not sure of that is affecting
    > things or not.
    You might want to try upgrading to 10.2.6 -- I kind of doubt that'll
    make the difference, but it's something to try.
    > I have also been thinking that a Palm OS upgrade could perhaps make a
    > difference. Does that sound likely? I have the default now.
    It's possible, but I kind of doubt it. I was reluctant to spend money
    to upgrade the Palm OS without assurance it would work, especially
    since I figured I'd replace my Palm eventually anyway and get the new
    OS that way.
    > What versions of Palm OS, OS X and Palm Desktop did you have when this
    > sequence worked for you?
    I had a Palm IIIxe with a cradle that had the Mac serial adapter
    attached to it. I connected it to the single printer/modem port on my
    Wallstreet. I *believe* that the Palm has OS 3.5 or 3.5.1, something
    like that. It was definitely older than 4. I also had Palm Desktop
    4.0 -- 4.1 wasn't available last time I did this.

    After I got a new PowerBook, I bought a USB adapter, and synced to Palm
    Desktop 4.1 without any trouble whatsoever.

  12. #12

    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > > Well, I tried this and had some improvement as the sync now gets all the
    > > way to "identifying user", which does not happen otherwise. But it stops
    > > there.
    >
    > Yeah, that's where it usually stopped for me, too.
    Hmm, didn't you say the actions that I repeated now actually did work
    for you? Or did I misunderstand? Or did it work only when you retried?
    > > I'm using Palm 4.1 on OS X 10.2.5, so I'm not sure of that is affecting
    > > things or not.
    >
    > You might want to try upgrading to 10.2.6 -- I kind of doubt that'll
    > make the difference, but it's something to try.
    What happened with 10.2.6 could make it likely?
    Mikael Bystroem Guest

  13. #13

    In article <1fyofce.3las84qj6mzgN%mikael.lastnamemac.com>, Mikael
    Bystroem <mikael.lastnamemac.com> wrote:
    > Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah, that's where it usually stopped for me, too.
    >
    > Hmm, didn't you say the actions that I repeated now actually did work
    > for you? Or did I misunderstand? Or did it work only when you retried?
    It did work for me, most of the time, but only if I followed those
    steps to the letter. If I didn't log out and back in -- no go. If I
    opened another app after logging back in -- no go. If I didn't open
    HotSync Manager and disable then re-enable HotSync -- no go. And even
    then, not every time. And sometimes I'd forget to do one of these
    things, and it would work fine. Then I'd think "Hey, maybe I've
    finally got it working!" And then it wouldn't work at all the next
    five times, usually! Real pain in the !
    > > You might want to try upgrading to 10.2.6 -- I kind of doubt that'll
    > > make the difference, but it's something to try.
    > What happened with 10.2.6 could make it likely?
    I have no idea, but I was using 10.2.6. Also, someone else posted that
    the difference between 10.2.5 and 10.2.6 made it work for them.
    However, my guess is that syncing via serial port will *always* be
    hit-or-miss (mostly miss). I can't imagine support will improve as
    usage of hardware with serial ports dwindles.

  14. #14

    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > It did work for me, most of the time, but only if I followed those steps
    > to the letter. If I didn't log out and back in -- no go. If I opened
    > another app after logging back in -- no go. If I didn't open HotSync
    > Manager and disable then re-enable HotSync -- no go. And even then, not
    > every time.

    Well, I guess I'll try some more times, but for me it doesn't seem to
    work, but your tip got me longer than anything else though. But no sync.

    I'm looking on an USB solution instead. Hmm maybe get myself G4
    Powerbook when I'm at it.
    Mikael Bystroem Guest

  15. #15

    I had a similar problem. Apparently when I did the reset the data file
    open, for me it was calendar - had to be exported and then imported to allow
    the sync to work.

    Terry

    On 8/8/03 1:01 AM, in article
    1fzd23z.1yco5ktjtlr2qN%mikael.lastnamemac.com, "Mikael Bystroem"
    <mikael.lastnamemac.com> wrote:
    > Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    >
    >> It did work for me, most of the time, but only if I followed those steps
    >> to the letter. If I didn't log out and back in -- no go. If I opened
    >> another app after logging back in -- no go. If I didn't open HotSync
    >> Manager and disable then re-enable HotSync -- no go. And even then, not
    >> every time.
    >

    > Well, I guess I'll try some more times, but for me it doesn't seem to
    > work, but your tip got me longer than anything else though. But no sync.
    >
    > I'm looking on an USB solution instead. Hmm maybe get myself G4
    > Powerbook when I'm at it.

    Terrence R. Redding Ph.D. Guest

  16. #16

    Terrence R. Redding Ph.D. <terrencereddingbellsouth.net> wrote:
    > I had a similar problem. Apparently when I did the reset the data file
    > open, for me it was calendar - had to be exported and then imported to allow
    > the sync to work.
    Terry, can you please detail what you mean? What was your problem and
    how did you solve it?

    How do I "reset the data file open"? In what application? Is this is in
    the Palm or in the Mac?
    Mikael Bystroem Guest