Professional Web Applications Themes

Panorama - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am trying out the panorama facility. I am loading 300 dpi images and when the panorama is finished, it is 28 dpi. When I change the resolution back (no resampling, I don't want it resampled), the image is very small. Originals are 22 cm high at 300 dpi, panorama is 9.3 cm high at 300 dpi. I have made sure I have selected the option "Image size reduction - none" in the photomerge dialogue box. Is it possible to make a full-sized panorama in Elements?...

  1. #1

    Default Panorama

    I am trying out the panorama facility. I am loading 300 dpi images and when
    the panorama is finished, it is 28 dpi. When I change the resolution back
    (no resampling, I don't want it resampled), the image is very small.
    Originals are 22 cm high at 300 dpi, panorama is 9.3 cm high at 300 dpi. I
    have made sure I have selected the option "Image size reduction - none" in
    the photomerge dialogue box.

    Is it possible to make a full-sized panorama in Elements?
    Maria Grist Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Panorama

    "Maria Grist" <adobeforummariagrist.net> wrote in message news:<2ccd5346.-1webx.la2eafNXanI>...
    > I am trying out the panorama facility. I am loading 300 dpi images and when
    > the panorama is finished, it is 28 dpi. When I change the resolution back
    > (no resampling, I don't want it resampled), the image is very small.
    > Originals are 22 cm high at 300 dpi, panorama is 9.3 cm high at 300 dpi. I
    > have made sure I have selected the option "Image size reduction - none" in
    > the photomerge dialogue box.
    >
    > Is it possible to make a full-sized panorama in Elements?
    I am not particularly familiar with Elements, I must say. I use a
    tool called 360 Image Assembler which came with the 360 Developer
    Suite from [url]www.360dof.com[/url] and have had excellent results with large
    images. I usually use it for constructing virtual tour panos for
    clients. Are you making photographs or high res tours?

    Andy.
    Andrew Gala Guest

  3. #3

    Maria,
    Are the images you are starting with both the same resolution? That is the only thing I can think of. I don't see any resolution settings when I use photomerge. I have not been very satisfied with photomerge; I find Arcsoft PanoramaMaker 3.0 much better.
    Eric
    Eric Matthes Guest

  4. #4

    Yes, and I have tried resampling before adding to photomerge, and I find the resulting image is the same size as when I did not resample. So, it seems as
    f photomerge resamples the images down to a manageable size, even if you select None under size. This makes the resulting image useless for printing purposes. I might try Arcsoft, hope it's not too expensive.
    Maria Grist Guest

  5. #5

    Maria,
    I am surprised no one else is responding to this. It seems like something simple is happening. Are you merging more than two images?
    Eric Matthes Guest

  6. #6

    Maria, something is definitely wrong with the way the feature is working. We'll try to get this thread back to the top, and maybe Rich will see it. I had three images on this computer fresh out of the camera, so they were 180ppi. When I merged them, the result was a 21 inch long, 9 inch high image at 180ppi. When I resized to 300, it became about 12 X 5.

    Have you ever used this feature before and had it work the way it should? If so, try deleting the Elements Preference folder. With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete the Settings. Say Yes. A new preference folder will rebuild as Elements continues to launch.

    Also, post more information about the size of the images you're working with, both physical size and resolution.
    Beth Haney Guest

  7. #7

    Elements 2 removed the resample option and never resizes the images. The memory handling is also better in E2. So I'm assuming Maria is using Elements 1. With the setting to None, there should be no resampling and if you have enough memory, you should get a result that is full res. Only thing I can think of off hand is to try deleting prefs. Let us know if that helps, if not, we'll give it some more thought.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  8. #8

    Hey I think I have found part of the problem. (My version does not have a version number so I assume it is version 1). I deleted prefs as recommended, and redid the panorama, then found it had resized to 28.346 ppcm, which I misread as ppi. When I changed to ppi, it now showed 71.999 ppi (still not the 300 of the original however).

    Original: 5 originals, landscape format, 1940x2592 pixels, 16.46cm by 21.95 cm print size, at 300 ppi.
    Panorama (cropped to trim white edges: 4236 x 2467 pixels, 149.44 x 87.03 cm print size, 71.999 ppi (this is how it came out).
    Panorama resized to 300 ppi (no resample): 4236 x 2467 pixels, final print size 35.86 x 20.89.

    So I guess it's OK, since I realised they are coming out of Elements with ppcm listed and not ppi. But why doesn't the program keep the images at 300 ppi, like the originals? Why confuse people like me by changing it to 28.347 pixels per cm? Thanks for your help, I guess I am OK with this now after a lot of mucking around.
    Maria Grist Guest

  9. #9

    Maria, it sounds like the program is set up to look at your linear
    dimensions and if it sees cm, it calculates pixels per cm instead of pixels
    per inch. I'm going to try that to see if that's how it works here...

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  10. #10

    Maria, I tried it using cm instead of inches, but I still got ppi; don't know why yours changed unless you have pixels per cm set in your preferences...?

    Chuck
    Chuck Snyder Guest

  11. #11

    I have got cm in Units / Rulers preferences, since I am in Australia. However I didn't change this after resetting all of my preferences earlier today. But now I notice further, that when I open an image (one of the images I am using to make up the panorama) in Photoshop it shows up as 300 ppi, but when I open it in Elements (exact same image)it shows up as 72 ppi. Then, after running the panorama, the resulting image is in 28.346 pp cm.
    Maria Grist Guest

  12. #12

    I've been following this with interest, because I like panoramic work. It's starting to make sense now. The 28.346ppc is exactly the same as 72ppi. That seems to indicate that Elements is not changing the resolution at all in the act of merging. Are the sizes making sense now, or do you still think the resulting panorama image should be larger?
    Eric Matthes Guest

  13. #13

    Hi Eric,

    If you like panoramic work, check out the "Virtual Parks" <http://www.virtualparks.org/main.html> website by Erik Goetze. Amazing stuff! I had posted it earlier on another topic and thought I'd link you here in case you missed it.

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  14. #14

    Barb,
    That's amazing! I'll check it out more when I have time to download 800k images.
    Eric Matthes Guest

  15. #15

    Hi Eric, yes it seems to be OK now, when I convert from pp cm to ppi and then change without resampling to 300 ppi, it's OK to print. I just got fooled when it went from cm to inches (see above).
    Maria Grist Guest