Professional Web Applications Themes

Panther faster on G3 Macs? - Mac Applications & Software

Does anyone know if Panther will run faster on G3 iMacs than Jaguar? I suppose I am asking whether it is worthwhile buying it if I only have a G3 iMac....

  1. #1

    Default Panther faster on G3 Macs?

    Does anyone know if Panther will run faster on G3 iMacs than Jaguar? I
    suppose I am asking whether it is worthwhile buying it if I only have a
    G3 iMac.
    Andrew Gara Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Panther faster on G3 Macs?

    Andrew Gara <agarasenet.com.au> wrote:
    > Does anyone know if Panther will run faster on G3 iMacs than Jaguar? I
    > suppose I am asking whether it is worthwhile buying it if I only have a
    > G3 iMac.
    Anyone who knows now is most likely under a non-disclosure agreement.
    I suggest you post your question AFTER Panther hits the store shelves
    and the public has a chance to actually try it.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bdc3eg$le7$1cronkite.temple.edu>, [email]stantemple.edu[/email] writes:
    > Andrew Gara <agarasenet.com.au> wrote:
    >> Does anyone know if Panther will run faster on G3 iMacs than Jaguar? I
    >> suppose I am asking whether it is worthwhile buying it if I only have a
    >> G3 iMac.
    >
    > Anyone who knows now is most likely under a non-disclosure agreement.
    Certainly any experience to date is with test versions rather than the
    final released version. Absolute knowledge of the released product is
    not held by anyone because the released product does not yet exist.
    > I suggest you post your question AFTER Panther hits the store shelves
    > and the public has a chance to actually try it.
    Agreed.
    Larry Kilgallen Guest

  4. #4

    In article <agara-CCD88D.21140425062003news2.ozemail.com.au>, Andrew Gara
    <agarasenet.com.au> wrote:
    > Does anyone know if Panther will run faster on G3 iMacs than Jaguar? I
    > suppose I am asking whether it is worthwhile buying it if I only have a
    > G3 iMac.
    I agree with the other people that posted excellent responses. They are
    right--no one can answer this question until Panther is released. However,
    we can guess. My guess based upon my experience with past Apple operating
    systems is that it will be much bigger in size than any former system and
    for that reason will probably run slower on G3 macs than Jaguar. It will
    run the fastest and best on G4 macs that are less than two years old. It
    will probably run on all Apple made G3 and G4 macs. As I wrote--I am only
    guessing.
    Bill B. Johnson Guest

  5. #5

    In article
    <billbjohnson555-2506031240000001pm2-broad-80.snlo.dialup.fix.net>,
    Bill B. Johnson <billbjohnson555nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    > In article <agara-CCD88D.21140425062003news2.ozemail.com.au>, Andrew Gara
    > <agarasenet.com.au> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know if Panther will run faster on G3 iMacs than Jaguar? I
    > > suppose I am asking whether it is worthwhile buying it if I only have a
    > > G3 iMac.
    >
    > I agree with the other people that posted excellent responses. They are
    > right--no one can answer this question until Panther is released. However,
    > we can guess. My guess based upon my experience with past Apple operating
    > systems is that it will be much bigger in size than any former system and
    > for that reason will probably run slower on G3 macs than Jaguar. It will
    > run the fastest and best on G4 macs that are less than two years old. It
    > will probably run on all Apple made G3 and G4 macs. As I wrote--I am only
    > guessing.
    That is kind of a weird guess, because moving from Mac OS X 10.1 to Mac
    OS X 10.2 got you performance gains on a wide range of hardware. While
    those with newish hardware gained _more_ performance, pretty much
    everyone who could run Jaguar gained some.

    So if I had to guess, I'd guess that improving performance will
    continue to be a theme in Panther.

    --
    Jerry Kindall, Seattle, WA [url]http://www.jerrykindall.com/[/url]

    If replying to this message by e-mail, send plain text only.
    Replies with files or HTML will be deleted by my spam filters.
    Jerry Kindall Guest

  6. #6

    Many of the web boards (such as those on MacNN.com, among others)
    confirm that it is quite a bit faster than Jaguar on G3 systems as slow
    as 300 MHz.

    Drew

    In article <agara-CCD88D.21140425062003news2.ozemail.com.au>,
    Andrew Gara <agarasenet.com.au> wrote:
    > Does anyone know if Panther will run faster on G3 iMacs than Jaguar? I
    > suppose I am asking whether it is worthwhile buying it if I only have a
    > G3 iMac.
    The Mac Orchard - [url]http://www.macorchard.com/[/url]
    Essential Internet Applications since 1995
    Drew D. Saur Guest