Professional Web Applications Themes

Pantone Color Mix-A-Lot - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

Hey y'all, I've got a 2 color doc with duotone pics, gradients, and text. I know how to make gradients between the 2 color extremes, but how can I make a swatch that is a mix between 100% of color #1 and 100% of color #2? In other words, I want to make my text as dark as the darkest color in my duotone pics without using process colors. Any hints?...

  1. #1

    Default Pantone Color Mix-A-Lot

    fred_martin@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pantone Color Mix-A-Lot

    There are no mixed inks in Illy.

    Set two objects on top of each other, or add a 2nd fill, setting the top fill to spot #1 and the bottom fill to spot #2, and set the top fill to multiply.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Good word.

    Would that work with my text? or am I asking for a registration nightmare?
    fred_martin@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    If your Illustrator file uses ONLY two pantone colors and no other colors, not even black or CMY, then you can probably color your type using registration color to print 100% of both pms colors.
    Gloria_Chen@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Gloria, How do I do that?

    Fred
    fred_martin@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    In Illustrator swatch pallet, you should have a swatch called "registration"
    Gloria_Chen@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I hope you're printing offset instead of flexo.

    If printing flexo I see a registration problem.
    Dee Holmes Guest

  8. #8

    Yup offset.

    But if I print all text in 100% registration will it show up as a 3rd color plate or will it just show up on the 2 spot color plates?

    I'm new. :)
    fred_martin@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Just the 2 spot plates.

    Are you trapping it or is the printer or are you the printer?
    Dee Holmes Guest

  10. #10

    It'll just be the colors that are define in Illustrator. Registration will not be the 3rd color.
    Gloria_Chen@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Great question Dee! I'm not the printer and I don't know how to trap. Should I?
    fred_martin@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Since these types are two colors on top of each other, there shouldn't be a trapping issue. As rule of thumb though, always make sure you service provider will trap the file since they know the tolerance of their press, they're the expert, or suppose to be.
    Gloria_Chen@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks
    fred_martin@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Their prepress department should handle it for you.
    Dee Holmes Guest

  15. #15

    You see what I mean Gloria and Dee I learn something everyday here you know I didn't know that about registration.

    Thanks guys.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    You didn't know what about registration, Wade?

    I find that hard to believe.
    Dee Holmes Guest

  17. #17

    Well Dee I mostly have worked in Process and have seldom work with spot colors except for doing architectural renderings which would eventually be converted to Process.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    I am speachless, Wade, I took it for granted with all your wisdom that you knew how to do this stuff.

    With us ( which I think is standard ) offset traps are .3pts.

    Flexo changes. On our general 2 color stack presses it is usually a 3pt. trap. Yes, I did type 3 pt. A big 3rd color effect.

    On our process CI press we are comparable to , I think better than, our offset presses. So we only need a .5 trap. Granted, I print on poly, guys. Does not compare to other substrates. Poly stretch factor is alot. I'm just giving examples on how presses can differ.
    Dee Holmes Guest

  19. #19

    I would suggest selecting both objects you want to mix, go to the Attributes Panel and (while selected) choose "Overprint Fill" - then go to your View Menu (up top) and select "Overprint Preview". This will cause your top spot color to overprint on top of the bottom spot color, but since Illustrator can't display this effect natively, you must choose the Overprint Preview to see its outcome.

    This should get the two colors mixing nicely, considering the Blending Modes don't always work properly when it comes to spot colors.

    Hope this helps!!

    - Joe.C
    Joe_Ciaramella@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20