Professional Web Applications Themes

Pantone Library Indesign & Illustrator - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

The library in Indesign and Illustrator do not longer match with the Pantone Color Bridge Guide when seperating to CMYK. The values seem to have changed by Pantone because digital printing processes did not give good results when seperating to CMYK. To get better colour colours in digital printing processes the CMYK values were changed. Example: Pantone 583. According to Indesign, Illustrator and the old Solid to Process Guide it's: C23 M0 Y100 K17. According to the new Color Bridge Guide (Eurocoated) it's: C31 M1 Y100 K10. There is a file available from the Pantone website you can use as ...

  1. #1

    Default Pantone Library Indesign & Illustrator

    The library in Indesign and Illustrator do not longer match with the Pantone Color Bridge Guide when seperating to CMYK.
    The values seem to have changed by Pantone because digital printing processes did not give good results when seperating to CMYK.
    To get better colour colours in digital printing processes the CMYK values were changed.

    Example: Pantone 583.
    According to Indesign, Illustrator and the old Solid to Process Guide it's: C23 M0 Y100 K17.
    According to the new Color Bridge Guide (Eurocoated) it's: C31 M1 Y100 K10.

    There is a file available from the Pantone website you can use as a reference in the meantime that Adobe comes out with the correct seperation values.

    I am still using CS1, so the Pantone seperation values to CMYK in Indesign and Illustrator are different.
    Does anyone know if Pantone has updated these libraries? So I can download them and obtain the right seperation values without changing them manually.
    Are users still having this problem in CS2?
    AndreStaf@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pantone Library Indesign & Illustrator

    The way to avoid this is to stop using spot colors and start using
    process colors. Spots aren't intended to be converted and working like
    that is quite likely to yield unpleasant surprises.

    Bob
    Bob Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Robert is right. Pantone has changed the color conversions for its spot colors several times. Also, Photoshop defines Pantone spots using Lab values, and InDesign and Illustrator define them using CMYK (which can now be changed in InDesign in the Ink Manager).

    When you want process, choose process colors.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Bob,

    I agree, but since there are separation values, they ought to be consistent.
    Sometimes I design a logo and I need a CMYK version as well.
    The customer needs a reference what the logo will look like in CMYK.
    In those cases I convert the spot colours, but I need a reference in print. So I use the Color Bridge Guide to see what a colour will look like in CMYK. But using the conversion of Adobe in the Indesign and Illustrator software it gives "old" results.
    I was wondering if there are new libraries availlable from Adobe.

    André
    AndreStaf@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    The inconsistancies are because of Pantone, not Adobe. It's just one
    more reason to stick to process.

    Bob
    Bob Levine Guest

  6. #6

    As long as Pantone stubbornly insists on a single-set of CMYK values no matter what the printing medium is, then what exactly are they saying: Pantone colors converted to CMYK aren't really colors at all, they're just ink mixes. If that's the case, then why are they bothering to change them?

    It appears from the statement in the topic, that the vintage of Pantone conversion library you should use depends on what you're printing to.

    Wow!

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Many of the spot colors are not reproducible in cmyk. Get yourself a
    solid to process swatch book and see how far off some of the spot colors
    are to their cmyk equivalents. Don't use spot colors on a process job.
    Jay
    Jay_Chevako@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Hi guys,

    Just to let you know: I allways check my CMYK values with a CMYK swatch book and use a Process coated swatchbook.
    What else can I do?

    I was just curious if there was a new library availlable.
    I just like to have a library that is more recent, since the library in CS1 is from 2001.
    Anyway, good to know there are people willing to help each other.

    André
    AndreStaf@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    In terms of using Pantone spot colors in InDesign, for consistent and realistic colors, closest to the swatch colors, your best bet is to go into the InDesign Ink Manager and specify use of LaB colors instead of Pantone's funky CMYK for situations in which colors need to be printed with process inks. Using the LaB descriptions keep the colors truly device independent and in conjunction with Adobe's color management both in the application and later in the workflow, will yield best results. This is especially true if you have a high fidelity print process, such as Hexachrome.

    - Dov
    Dov Isaacs Guest

  10. #10

    André, the use Lab values feature Dov refers to is not available in CS1, but you can manually create Pantone swatches in the Lab space. This link has the Photoshop solid libraries (Lab values) saved for ID:

    <http://www.evansday.com/Pantone/PS8LibrariesPDF.hqx>

    I just like to have a library that is more recent, since the library in
    CS1 is from 2001.

    A newer CMYK library would not be any better because it would be as device dependant as the older CMYK libraries.

    Rob
    rob_day@adobeforums.com Guest