Professional Web Applications Themes

Parallel Data keeping on remote servers - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

Hopefully this is not as big a deal as I seem to think it is; We have our own name/ webservers in house (A), and a parallel set ( B) at a remote host as a back up. The trouble is that our "back-ups" have a broader bandwidth connection and tend to serve up our sites more frequently than our local servers do. Because of this fact I need to keep the data on both locations parallel at all times. One of our "biggest" concerns is a site which is administered by the clients directly, and their data editing, photo ...

  1. #1

    Default Parallel Data keeping on remote servers

    Hopefully this is not as big a deal as I seem to think it is; We have our own
    name/ webservers in house (A), and a parallel set ( B) at a remote host as a
    back up. The trouble is that our "back-ups" have a broader bandwidth connection
    and tend to serve up our sites more frequently than our local servers do.
    Because of this fact I need to keep the data on both locations parallel at all
    times. One of our "biggest" concerns is a site which is administered by the
    clients directly, and their data editing, photo & file uploading appears
    immediatley on their sites. I have handled this type of issue (thus far) by
    asking the admin to click a button when done to activate an action page which
    ftp's the users new files to the remote (including the database). This method
    has become unsatisfactory, as the database in question serves several clients
    in a program and it may be called upon at once by several different clients.
    My question is this; How can I programmatically write data to 2 different
    datasources, if one of them is NOT on the same server as the cfm doing the
    request.. And do so regardless of which location the user happened to log in to
    (the odds of getting server "A" over server "B" depend on many factors).
    We are using CF MX 6,1,0,63958 on Windows 2003 Servers with MS Access as the
    datasource.
    Thanks for any info - Even if it's "Buy this Software", I just gotta make this
    work!

    bigbrain28 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Parallel Data keeping on remote servers

    Write two queries, one for each datasource.
    Dan Guest

  3. #3

    Well, I can't really change DB apps, not really an option. Is there no way to assign a datasource to a remote server? This seems like an odd limitation to me

    bigbrain28 Guest

  4. #4

    Whatever happened to, "Even if it's buy this software"? MS Access works quite
    well as what it's designed for. You're trying to use it for something else.

    Originally posted by: bigbrain28

  5. #5

    I meant additional software that would keep my data parallel, not replacement
    software for my databases. If you would like to suggest a specific product
    (yes, even a different db app) I'd be obliged. I am simply not familiar with
    any other db apps, aware yes, experienced, no.

    bigbrain28 Guest

  6. #6

    I use some of them, so I can compare sql syntax, but that's about it. Might be
    something here though ==>
    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=choose+database&meta=