Professional Web Applications Themes

Parellel-Enet Print Server for AppleTalk? - Mac Networking

Have an HP LaserJet 2100 printer connected to an AppleTalk network (with those little PhoneNet connectors) that we'd like to transition to the Ethernet UTP network to improve reliability (nodes come and go on the AT net, regardless how we terminate, balance, etc. the net). The printer has a parallel connector which works fine when connected to a PC. Ethernet-to-Parallel print servers are available from many manufacturers for this purpose. But will these work in EtherTalk mode? Will the printer accept AppleTalk through the parallel connector? I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this. Does it work? Which ...

  1. #1

    Default Parellel-Enet Print Server for AppleTalk?

    Have an HP LaserJet 2100 printer connected to an AppleTalk network (with
    those little PhoneNet connectors) that we'd like to transition to the
    Ethernet UTP network to improve reliability (nodes come and go on the AT net,
    regardless how we terminate, balance, etc. the net).

    The printer has a parallel connector which works fine when connected to a PC.

    Ethernet-to-Parallel print servers are available from many manufacturers for
    this purpose. But will these work in EtherTalk mode? Will the printer accept
    AppleTalk through the parallel connector?

    I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this. Does it work? Which make and
    model servers did you use?

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    net

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Parellel-Enet Print Server for AppleTalk?

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 15:43:40 +0100, DaveC wrote
    (in article <individual.net>):

    I run my select 360 using the parallel port and a dlink- 303 printserver
    connected to my router- no further configuration, passes appletalk fine.
    It simply does the job- quite surprising really.

    Simon Guest

  3. #3

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <net> wrote:

    I've been using a D-Link DP-301 10/100 print server with my HP LaserJet
    6MP (connected to the 6MP's parallel port) for 5 or 6 years. I've
    assigned an IP address to the print server and have had no problems
    sending postscript print jobs to the printer. Works fine in OS9 and OSX,
    no problems with mixed computer environments. This print server handles
    EtherTalk, TCP/IP, IPX/SPX and NetBEUI.

    The DP-301 is out of production but D-Link does have newer models with
    the same features and easy, web-based administration.
    Pat Guest

  4. #4

    DaveC <net> writes:

    The 2100 has a bigger brother named 2100TN that came with an
    ethernet interface already equipped. This JetDirect EIO hardware will
    support EtherTalk and a number of other protocols (I use direct
    printing on port 9100) and works _much_ faster than any
    Ethernet-to-Parallel print server. Such an interface can easily be
    added to 2100 models later on (and most other HP printers). You should
    be able to buy an 10baseT EIO interface relatively cheaply and might
    consider 100baseT.

    For big print jobs (anything >1MiB) the faster EIO interface will
    really shine.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  5. #5

    since you have AT connector on the printer, locate a (old - read ebay)
    device called Etherprint - it is an appletalk to ethernet convertor

    Fetch, Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:54:20 -0700, Fetch, Rover, Fetch wrote
    (in article <net>):

    AppleTalk network topology, with its need for termination and linear layout
    (it doesn't tolerate branching too well), it has caused much trouble for us.
    Therefore, I'm looking into replacing it entirely with Ethernet and adapters.

  7. #7

    DaveC wrote in <news:individual.net>:

    Might it be possible that you totally mix things up? AppleTalk is a familiy
    of network protocols

    <http://www.protocols.com/pbook/appletalk.htm>

    LocalTalk (originally called AppleTalk when Apple just relabeled the
    "Cambridge Ring" from Cambridge University/Acorn and selled it as own
    technology) is one specific hardware implementation. EtherTalk another.

    You can have EtherTalk networks with thousands of devices when you do some
    sort of network segmentation via AppleTalk routers.

    I would also recommend buying a LocalTalk to EtherTalk connector and simply
    print via PAP (AppleTalk).

    You might run into problems when sending binary jobs via an AppleTalk
    enabled printserver since AppleTalk can happily transport binary data but on
    the parallel port connected to the printer the situation is different. Here
    you have to use the so called "Standard Protocol" which is not able to
    transfer binary printing data but instead 7 bit data only.

    <http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/pdfs/tn/5009.Comm_Spec.pdf>

    Regards,

    Thomas

    Thomas Guest