Professional Web Applications Themes

Paring down file size of scanned doents - Adobe Acrobat Windows

Hi all, I'm running Windows XP on a Pentium 4 machine with 512M RAM with an Epson Perfection 1260 Scanner. I use Adobe 5.0 to scan in music charts to print and E-mail to band members. I've been doing this for awhile, on earlier versions of Acrobat and a different (HP) scanner. The earlier pages were as small as 64K. With 5.0 and the new scanner, single pages are occupying 2+ megs. Although I have spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out how to reduce the file size I haven't been able to solve the puzzle. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Paring down file size of scanned doents

    Hi all,

    I'm running Windows XP on a Pentium 4 machine with 512M RAM with an Epson Perfection 1260 Scanner. I use Adobe 5.0 to scan in music charts to print and E-mail to band members.

    I've been doing this for awhile, on earlier versions of Acrobat and a different (HP) scanner. The earlier pages were as small as 64K. With 5.0 and the new scanner, single pages are occupying 2+ megs. Although I have spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out how to reduce the file size I haven't been able to solve the puzzle.

    I use the printer software's photocopy mode and send it to Distiller to save. I optimize the files. Whqt else can you suggest? Thanks for your help.
    Frank_Hoppe@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Paring down file size of scanned doents

    Two factors above all will decide the file size.
    What resolution do you use?
    And what image model (e.g. full colour is 24 times larger than one-bit
    black and white)?

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Frank,

    I'm experiencing the same problem. I scan in 300 dpi (the lowest I can do for the application) and in black and white but files are much too big. Let me know if you have figured out a solution, as I have reseaching this subject now for about a week.

    Dianna
    Dianna_Gatchell@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Keep in mind that a 300 dpi 8.5x11 page in black and white (1 bit) is about 1MB of raster data.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Hi all,
    I contacted Epson support about this and received the following reply. It does work.

    Thank you for contacting the Epson Connection.

    Please try the following settings to adjust the quality and decrease the file size.

    To switch the Epson Twain from AUTOMATIC to MANUAL mode for advanced control of your scanner, try the following:

    1) If you are scanning through an application, other than the Epson Smart Panel, click on FILE and then IMPORT/ACQUIRE/GET PHOTO depending on the application.
    2) If you are scanning with the Epson Smart Panel, click on the utility you wish to use, for example SCAN TO FILE and then launch that utility.
    3) The Twain will initiate with a window that reads PREVIEWING AND DOENT RECOGNITION IN PROGRESS...
    4) Immediately click on CANCEL and then select MANUAL MODE.

    NOTE: If the EPSON TWAIN WINDOW with the different settings options appear immediately after either launching the Smart Panel utility or clicking on IMPORT, it is already in MANUAL MODE.

    Once in the manual mode, change the resolution setting to be 72dpi. Attempt scanning and your doent should be much smaller.

    If you require further assistance with this particular issue, please ensure all of our previous correspondence is contained in your reply, so we can better track the history of this issue.

    If you have a different technical support issue, please submit another E-form via our website ([url]http://www.epson.com[/url]), and we will respond in a timely manner. Thank you again for contacting Epson.

    Christopher O
    Epson Connection
    Frank_Hoppe@adobeforums.com Guest