Professional Web Applications Themes

Parition table lost - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello I'm looking for information about restoring partition table. I dont't have a copy of partition sector before the problem come. Any links or hows-to is realy welcome. The probleme append on a production server and I need to set ip up for monday. My firsts search in the ng and the web carried out me to findpart, findext2 (from [url]http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm[/url]) and Ranish Partition Manager ([url]http://www.ranish.com/part/[/url]) findpart didn't find anything findext2 find my trees partitions. I've rerecorded the partition table with part with the informations (start end end chs) returned by findext2 2 of the 3 partitions where unreadable The ...

  1. #1

    Default Parition table lost

    Hello

    I'm looking for information about restoring partition table. I dont't have a
    copy of partition sector before the problem come.

    Any links or hows-to is realy welcome. The probleme append on a production
    server and I need to set ip up for monday.

    My firsts search in the ng and the web carried out me to findpart, findext2
    (from [url]http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm[/url]) and Ranish Partition
    Manager ([url]http://www.ranish.com/part/[/url])

    findpart didn't find anything
    findext2 find my trees partitions. I've rerecorded the partition table with
    part with the informations (start end end chs) returned by findext2
    2 of the 3 partitions where unreadable
    The third can be mounted but I've I/O error on read access (we don't do any
    write to the disk, except the partition drive).

    The problem come after a loosy wizard on a bootable cd erase the partition
    table and create a 50Mo fat 16 partition (no format have been done).

    Thanks for your help, it's realy an emergency !

    Rodolphe

    Rodolphe SIBERT Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Parition table lost

    This may (or may not) be of some help: <http://tinyurl.com/grwm>

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson [url]http://cfaj.freeshell.org[/url]
    My code (if any) in this post is copyright 2003, Chris F.A. Johnson

  3. #3

    Hello,
    first of all, you should make a backup from your whole disk on another
    drive:
    dd if=/dev/hdx (or sdx for SCSI drives) of=/path/to/backup bs=10M
    Then you can try out some tools without destroying data.
    If you know exactly the size of your partitions, you can restore the
    partition table using (c)fdisk.

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 04:00:11 +0200, Rodolphe SIBERT wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I'm looking for information about restoring partition table. I dont't have a
    > copy of partition sector before the problem come.
    >
    > Any links or hows-to is realy welcome. The probleme append on a production
    > server and I need to set ip up for monday.
    You should really have backups of your production servers.

    > My firsts search in the ng and the web carried out me to findpart, findext2
    > (from [url]http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm[/url]) and Ranish Partition
    > Manager ([url]http://www.ranish.com/part/[/url])
    >

    > findpart didn't find anything
    > findext2 find my trees partitions. I've rerecorded the partition table with
    > part with the informations (start end end chs) returned by findext2
    > 2 of the 3 partitions where unreadable
    > The third can be mounted but I've I/O error on read access (we don't do any
    > write to the disk, except the partition drive).
    Is your hd OK?

    > The problem come after a loosy wizard on a bootable cd erase the partition
    > table and create a 50Mo fat 16 partition (no format have been done).
    Don't do this on a production server without knowing what you are doing.

    > Thanks for your help, it's realy an emergency !
    >
    > Rodolphe
    Wolfgang Fischer Guest

  4. #4

    I'm going to to this. There is no probleme to dd from an scsi to an ide ?
    Does the destination drive need to be mounted ?

    Unfortunatly, I didn't make the first installation on this server, so I
    don't know exactly the drive configuration. It have 2220 sectors, it
    seems that the partition drive looked like
    1 swap drive
    2 /
    3 /usr
    4 /boot

    I think we almost found /usr wth scanext2. It's a bit strange, the
    partition can be mounted, i can do ls but on directories I got I/O
    error. What could I do to fix that ? Can this be because the end of the
    partition is too close from start, too far ? or a probleme whith head or
    cylinders in partition définition ?

    Wolfgang Fischer wrote:
    > Hello,
    > first of all, you should make a backup from your whole disk on another
    > drive:
    > dd if=/dev/hdx (or sdx for SCSI drives) of=/path/to/backup bs=10M
    > Then you can try out some tools without destroying data.
    > If you know exactly the size of your partitions, you can restore the
    > partition table using (c)fdisk.
    >
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 04:00:11 +0200, Rodolphe SIBERT wrote:
    >

    > You should really have backups of your production servers.
    We have backup but there are not complete due to recent change in an
    application directory. 75% only of the work is saved...

    > Is your hd OK?
    I think so. It's a raid 5 with 3 disks, one disk fail (see bleow) but
    the two last are fine
    >>The problem come after a loosy wizard on a bootable cd erase the partition
    >>table and create a 50Mo fat 16 partition (no format have been done).
    >

    > Don't do this on a production server without knowing what you are doing.
    200 % agree with you. I didn't launch the cd ... I'm just trying to get
    things back ...
    At first, a problem on the ServeRAID controler (one DDD disk) lend us to
    put the IBM hardware setup cd to access the ServeRAID manager (It's only
    available for X and no X on this server nor on any linux where it
    lives). After the raid setup done, the wisard continue on the root
    partition creation which for sure was a *very* bad idea !

    Nexter Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:06:39 +0200, Nexter wrote:
    > I'm going to to this. There is no probleme to dd from an scsi to an ide ?
    > Does the destination drive need to be mounted ?
    You can do either dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/hdx to write the image to the
    whole IDE disk or mount the IDE disk and copy the image to a file on it.
    IMHO, if you copy the SCSI disk to an IDE disk, you might not be able to
    use the IDE disk because of different disk layouts. However, you can dd it
    back to the SCSI disk to restore it if any tool destroys even more.

    > Unfortunatly, I didn't make the first installation on this server, so I
    > don't know exactly the drive configuration. It have 2220 sectors, it
    > seems that the partition drive looked like
    > 1 swap drive
    > 2 /
    > 3 /usr
    > 4 /boot
    >
    > I think we almost found /usr wth scanext2. It's a bit strange, the
    > partition can be mounted, i can do ls but on directories I got I/O
    > error. What could I do to fix that ? Can this be because the end of the
    > partition is too close from start, too far ? or a probleme whith head or
    > cylinders in partition définition ?
    >
    > Wolfgang Fischer wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> first of all, you should make a backup from your whole disk on another
    >> drive:
    >> dd if=/dev/hdx (or sdx for SCSI drives) of=/path/to/backup bs=10M
    >> Then you can try out some tools without destroying data.
    >> If you know exactly the size of your partitions, you can restore the
    >> partition table using (c)fdisk.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 04:00:11 +0200, Rodolphe SIBERT wrote:
    >>

    >> You should really have backups of your production servers.
    >
    > We have backup but there are not complete due to recent change in an
    > application directory. 75% only of the work is saved...
    >

    >> Is your hd OK?
    >
    > I think so. It's a raid 5 with 3 disks, one disk fail (see bleow) but
    > the two last are fine
    To check whether this two disks work fine, try
    dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/null bs=1M
    This will read the whole disk. If you get any read errors there, you'll
    have to restore your backups. If not, it's probably an error in your
    restored partition table.

  6. #6

    Here some news after some tests made today :

    - I've try gpart from partition rescue mini howto without success. It
    didn't find anything on the disk.

    - I've tested Chris script for finding out the third parition. Didn't work.

    - I can still mount the second partition with the C.H.S. informations
    returned by findext2 but when I do ls on the partition I have Input /
    Output errors. I didn't try an chkdsk as I don't know if it's because of
    errors on the partition or wrong partitions boundaries. For now, we
    didn't make any write to the disk, except the partition table. CHS
    informations of parition returned by findext2 are very different from
    boundaries made by linux fdik (eg fdisk always start partition on head
    253 sector 63 where parition boundaries are 0 (hesad) and 57 for sector ...)

    - I've still don't make any copy of data on disk with dd as I'doesn't
    have any spare scsi disk and today is sunday :)

    So if you have any clues to give me, they are very welcome !

    Thanks,

    Rodolphe

    Rodolphe SIBERT wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I'm looking for information about restoring partition table. I dont't have a
    > copy of partition sector before the problem come.
    >
    > Any links or hows-to is realy welcome. The probleme append on a production
    > server and I need to set ip up for monday.
    >
    > My firsts search in the ng and the web carried out me to findpart, findext2
    > (from [url]http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm[/url]) and Ranish Partition
    > Manager ([url]http://www.ranish.com/part/[/url])
    >

    > findpart didn't find anything
    > findext2 find my trees partitions. I've rerecorded the partition table with
    > part with the informations (start end end chs) returned by findext2
    > 2 of the 3 partitions where unreadable
    > The third can be mounted but I've I/O error on read access (we don't do any
    > write to the disk, except the partition drive).
    >
    > The problem come after a loosy wizard on a bootable cd erase the partition
    > table and create a 50Mo fat 16 partition (no format have been done).
    >
    > Thanks for your help, it's realy an emergency !
    >
    > Rodolphe

    Nexter Guest

  7. #7

    Nexter wrote:
    > At first, a problem on the ServeRAID controler (one DDD disk) lend us to
    > put the IBM hardware setup cd to access the ServeRAID manager (It's only
    > available for X and no X on this server nor on any linux where it
    > lives). After the raid setup done, the wisard continue on the root
    > partition creation which for sure was a *very* bad idea !
    System partition I think you mean. A small partition, number 4 but at
    the start of the array. Re-creating it should not have been a problem as
    it should have been there to start with. However..

    That CD is only supposed to be used to set the RAID controller etc. up
    in the first place. There's another stand alone CD - ServeRAID Utilities
    IIRC or something like that - which should be used when you need to
    reconfigure it afterwards if you cannot run the OS based ServeRAID
    manager.

    I recommend that you make some sort of X server available from which you
    can run the OS based ServeRAID manager. It's quite useful. There is no
    need to put an X server on the server itself of course.

    BTW I understand that the problem which caused you to do this in the
    first place was just a dead disk. Replacing a dead disk should not
    require running any utility at all. You should just be able to put the
    replacement it and it will resynchronise itself. I have tested this, it
    works fine, but this was on a RAID1 array. It did take some hours to
    resynchronise a 70GB disk.

    Regards, Ian
    Ian Northeast Guest

  8. #8

    Ian Northeast wrote:
    > System partition I think you mean. A small partition, number 4 but at
    > the start of the array. Re-creating it should not have been a problem as
    > it should have been there to start with. However..
    But that destroy existing partition on the disk (well at least delete
    partition entry in partition table). No idea if it was there before, I
    didn't make the first install. I think there were only swap /boot / and
    /usr as disk partition.
    > That CD is only supposed to be used to set the RAID controller etc. up
    > in the first place. There's another stand alone CD - ServeRAID Utilities
    > IIRC or something like that - which should be used when you need to
    > reconfigure it afterwards if you cannot run the OS based ServeRAID
    > manager.
    >
    > I recommend that you make some sort of X server available from which you
    > can run the OS based ServeRAID manager. It's quite useful. There is no
    > need to put an X server on the server itself of course.
    >
    > BTW I understand that the problem which caused you to do this in the
    > first place was just a dead disk. Replacing a dead disk should not
    > require running any utility at all. You should just be able to put the
    > replacement it and it will resynchronise itself. I have tested this, it
    > works fine, but this was on a RAID1 array. It did take some hours to
    > resynchronise a 70GB disk.
    We did replace the defunct drive with a new one. The rebuild process
    take place for some hours but at the end of the day, the disk was
    critical again (after been online for 2 ou 3 hours). We then wanted to
    have a look in ServeRAID Manager and we used this cd as its the only we
    had with server Raid manager on it (other is a software startup
    (something like this)).

    By the way, and because this problem is still on the go (if we manage to
    get our partitions back :) anybody have a idea on what can be on failure
    in a IBM ServeRAID controler if two disks (one absolutly new) goes to
    critical ? I think about the controler/backplane himself ? (both disks
    have been inserted in slot 0)

    Rodolphe SIBERT Guest

  9. #9

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:30:46 +0200, Nexter wrote:
    > Here some news after some tests made today :
    >
    > - I've try gpart from partition rescue mini howto without success. It
    > didn't find anything on the disk.
    >
    > - I've tested Chris script for finding out the third parition. Didn't work.
    >
    > - I can still mount the second partition with the C.H.S. informations
    > returned by findext2 but when I do ls on the partition I have Input /
    > Output errors. I didn't try an chkdsk as I don't know if it's because of
    > errors on the partition or wrong partitions boundaries. For now, we
    > didn't make any write to the disk, except the partition table. CHS
    > informations of parition returned by findext2 are very different from
    > boundaries made by linux fdik (eg fdisk always start partition on head
    > 253 sector 63 where parition boundaries are 0 (hesad) and 57 for sector...)

    [url]http://www.lkcc.org/raimi/texts/ext2rescue.html[/url]
    This page discusses a manual way of finding an ext2 fs
    > - I've still don't make any copy of data on disk with dd as I'doesn't
    > have any spare scsi disk and today is sunday :)
    You can also do a copy of the disk to a network ftp server. Just insert a
    bootable Linux CD (KNOPPIX), connect to a ftp server and put /dev/sdX.

    > So if you have any clues to give me, they are very welcome !
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rodolphe

    Wolfgang Fischer Guest

  10. #10