Professional Web Applications Themes

Part of character disappears when zooming out - Macromedia Director 3D

I have a 3d set with a character. When the camera zooms out, after a certain distance, part of it (shirt and part of jeans) dissapears. The face, hands, etc.. are still visible as is the world in front of and behind the character. I have adjusted the yon and it has no effect on this problem (does make the entire world clip in/out however). What other factors could be affecting the model/textures that would cause this sort of issue? I have two models... one male and one female. One works fine and the other has the above mentioned problem. ...

  1. #1

    Default Part of character disappears when zooming out

    I have a 3d set with a character. When the camera zooms out, after a certain
    distance, part of it (shirt and part of jeans) dissapears. The face, hands,
    etc.. are still visible as is the world in front of and behind the character.

    I have adjusted the yon and it has no effect on this problem (does make the
    entire world clip in/out however).

    What other factors could be affecting the model/textures that would cause this
    sort of issue? I have two models... one male and one female. One works fine
    and the other has the above mentioned problem. Strange thing is one was made
    from the other so they are pretty much identical with slightly different
    geometry as of now. I even tried applying the same textures and the same shirt
    geometry but to no avail. I also de-selected SDS in the exporter to make
    sure it wasn't chopping down the geomtry so much it disappeared. Anyhow,
    nothing I have tried has made a difference. Any thoughts?

    Thanks!

    Curtis

    cratica Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Part of character disappears when zooming out

    Hi there,

    The run-time level of detail code might be causing the full mesh to be
    optimised to only a few polygons, depending on the topology of the mesh.

    Check the Level Of Detail ( lod ) modifier on the resource of the mesh,
    and perhaps disable it as a test.

    See here for more info...
    http://director-online.com/lingo.php?id=531

    Mal
    Mal Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Mal,

    RIght on! I had de-selected the SDS support when exporting the model as a
    test thinking that SDS and LOD were the same. I didn't realize the Director
    engine also support real-time tesselation (known as SDS). I had mistakenly
    thought that SDS referred to it's LOD'ing capabilities.

    Anyhow, adjusting the LOD parameters solved the problem. Still not sure why
    it does it on one model and not on another using all the same sets/cameras,
    etc...

    I have a newfound respect for the Director 3D "engine". It actually has some
    real nice features and things do work pretty well with few issues relatively
    speaking. When I started this project I thought I would do very limited 3D
    work, but it's turned out much nicer than I expected by just using a few
    tricks. Lighting can make or break a project, that's for certain.

    Thanks again Mal, you have helped me once again!

    Curtis

    cratica Guest