Professional Web Applications Themes

parted problems - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi All; Tried to use parted to resize the / partition on my dev system , reducing the size to 24Gb no warning or error but when I tried to reboot I got the Kernel panic: init not found message. Boot up with a parted boot disk and was told to run fschk, after several hours of not much happening ( system unresponsive hd activity stoped) I ^C'd fschk there was messages that seemed to indicate the FS still extended past the end of the partition. What should my next step be. I'm coping the fs over to another partition ...

  1. #1

    Default parted problems

    Hi All;
    Tried to use parted to resize the / partition on my dev system , reducing
    the size to 24Gb no warning or error but when I tried to reboot I got the
    Kernel panic: init not found message. Boot up with a parted boot disk and
    was told to run fschk, after several hours of not much happening ( system
    unresponsive hd activity stoped) I ^C'd fschk there was messages that seemed
    to indicate the FS still extended past the end of the partition.
    What should my next step be.
    I'm coping the fs over to another partition by:
    cd /mnt/sysimage
    rm -rF dev
    find . | cpio -pvmd /mnt/hda4

    any ideas?
    thanks
    Pat

    Pat Ford Guest

  2. #2

    Hi All;
    I used parted to shrink my filesystem and partition to 6293463 block from
    8122865 blocks BUT only the partition got shrank the inode table still
    thinks the fs is the old size. I tried using parted to make the the
    partition big again but it would do it because the fs is unhappy, e2fschk is
    unhappy , it can't write where it wants, ext2resize won't work complaining
    about the size issue.
    any ideas?
    Pat

    Pat Ford Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: parted problems

    Pat Ford wrote:
    > Hi All;
    > Tried to use parted to resize the / partition on my dev system , reducing
    > the size to 24Gb no warning or error but when I tried to reboot I got the
    > Kernel panic: init not found message. Boot up with a parted boot disk and
    > was told to run fschk, after several hours of not much happening ( system
    > unresponsive hd activity stoped) I ^C'd fschk there was messages that seemed
    > to indicate the FS still extended past the end of the partition.
    > What should my next step be.
    > I'm coping the fs over to another partition by:
    > cd /mnt/sysimage
    > rm -rF dev
    > find . | cpio -pvmd /mnt/hda4
    You need to reset your MBR, since the files that it points to have moved
    on the disk. If you have one, use your installation medium to get into
    rescue mode, mount the original drive at a designated directory such as
    "/mnt/sysimage", and do a "chroot /mnt/sysimage /bin/sh" to get a
    working shell in your original location. That provides your boot-loader
    tools, and access to things to provide labels on your partitions (if
    your /etc/fstab uses them instead of the /dev/ filenames).

    And as to your transfer technique: do not copy /proc, feel free to copy
    /dev, and use "cp -a" instead of the cpio oddness.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  4. #4

    Pat Ford wrote:
    >> Hi All;
    >> I used parted to shrink my filesystem and partition to 6293463
    >> block from 8122865 blocks BUT only the partition got shrank the
    >> inode table still thinks the fs is the old size. I tried using
    >> parted to make the the partition big again but it would do it
    >> because the fs is unhappy, e2fschk is unhappy , it can't write where
    >> it wants, ext2resize won't work complaining about the size issue.
    >> any ideas?
    >> Pat
    you only marked the partition for shrinkage. you still need to shrink the
    file system.

    on reiserfs use resize_reiserfs.

    ken k

    Ken Kauffman Guest