Professional Web Applications Themes

Partition program "parted" PROBLEM! - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello folks! The Linux program "parted" do not work! After I installed WindowsXP, and used ms-install-partition-utils, It ed something.. So now "parted" don't work on that disk! I get the following messages when I start the program "parted": --cut-- Using /dev/hda Warning: Unable to align partition properly. This probably means that another partitioning tool generated an incorrect partition table, because it didn't have the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to ignore,but ignoring may cause (fixable) problems with some boot loaders. Ignore/Cancel? --end cut-- Linux's fdisk still works though, but I must say that msdos's fdisk looks strange, Whatever are ...

  1. #1

    Default Partition program "parted" PROBLEM!

    Hello folks!

    The Linux program "parted" do not work!
    After I installed WindowsXP, and used ms-install-partition-utils, It
    ed something.. So now "parted" don't work on that disk!
    I get the following messages when I start the program "parted":
    --cut--
    Using /dev/hda
    Warning: Unable to align partition properly. This probably means that
    another
    partitioning tool generated an incorrect partition table, because it
    didn't have
    the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to ignore,but ignoring may cause
    (fixable) problems with some boot loaders.
    Ignore/Cancel?
    --end cut--

    Linux's fdisk still works though, but I must say that msdos's fdisk
    looks strange, Whatever are wrong now?

    What more worth to note, Im debian-testing-user, and it was a ntsf
    filesystem I created, and it's gone now ( Im installed WinME fat32 on
    same partion, but the problem with parted remains ).

    Any ideer are welcome!

    --
    Mvh, Per Blomqvist.
    E-mail: per.blomqvist at telia.com
    Webpage: [url]http://niffeln.netfirms.com[/url]
    Tel.nr: +46 70-3355632

    -- GEEK CODE:
    GE dx s+:- a- C++ UL+ P+ L+++ E--- W++ N++ o+++ K- w+
    O-- M- V- PS- PE- Y- PGP t+ 5 X++ R- tv- b++ DI+ D++
    G+ e+ h! r* !y
    --

    Per Blomqvist Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Partition program "parted" PROBLEM!

    Per Blomqvist <per.blomqvisttelia.com> wrote:
    > The Linux program "parted" do not work!
    Oh yes it does .. oh, I see. Wrong tense. You don't mean to be using
    the present continuous ... you mean it baulks at your partition table.
    > After I installed WindowsXP, and used ms-install-partition-utils, It
    > ed something.. So now "parted" don't work on that disk!
    > I get the following messages when I start the program "parted":
    > --cut--
    > Using /dev/hda
    > Warning: Unable to align partition properly. This probably means that
    > another
    Yadda. Move the partition endings of whatever you changed, if you care.
    > partitioning tool generated an incorrect partition table, because it
    > didn't have
    > the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to ignore,but ignoring may cause
    > (fixable) problems with some boot loaders.
    > Ignore/Cancel?
    Hit "ignore".
    > --end cut--
    > Linux's fdisk still works though, but I must say that msdos's fdisk
    So does parted! Follow the instruction and hit "i".
    > looks strange, Whatever are wrong now?
    Whatever is wrong is wrong. Do you care? Look at the table and find
    out.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  3. #3

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Per Blomqvist <per.blomqvisttelia.com> wrote:
    >>The Linux program "parted" do not work!
    >
    > Oh yes it does .. oh, I see. Wrong tense. You don't mean to be using
    > the present continuous ... you mean it baulks at your partition table.
    No WindowsXP installationdisk ed it up, somehow.
    I have used parted frekvently earlier.

    >>After I installed WindowsXP, and used ms-install-partition-utils, It
    >>ed something.. So now "parted" don't work on that disk!
    >>I get the following messages when I start the program "parted":
    >>--cut--
    >>Using /dev/hda
    >>Warning: Unable to align partition properly. This probably means that
    >>another
    >
    > Yadda. Move the partition endings of whatever you changed, if you care.
    How do you mean?
    Are you saying what I suspect, the partition-table a invalid, and
    overlaps or something?

    This is the output of my "fdisk -l":
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 1028 8257378+ c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/hda2 1029 4111 24764197+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda3 2104 4111 16129260 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 1029 1681 5245159+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda6 1682 2007 2618563+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda7 2008 2103 771088+ 83 Linux
    --end cut--

    It was hda1 that I changed. BUT also the order of the disk's where
    changed of them self, by the winXP-install-cd.
    hda3 was previously hda7, so the changed the order.
    >>partitioning tool generated an incorrect partition table, because it
    >>didn't have
    >>the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to ignore,but ignoring may cause
    >>(fixable) problems with some boot loaders.
    >>Ignore/Cancel?
    >

    > Hit "ignore".
    That didn't help.
    This is the output of ignore:
    --cut--
    Error: Unable to satisfy all constraints on the partition.
    --end cut--

    And this is the output of Cancel:
    --cut--
    Information: The operating system thinks the geometry on /dev/hda is
    4111/255/63. Therefore, cylinder 1024 ends at 8032.499M.
    --end cut--

    And the print command never output anything for me.

    >>Linux's fdisk still works though, but I must say that msdos's fdisk
    >
    > So does parted! Follow the instruction and hit "i".
    No, read the above.
    >>looks strange, Whatever are wrong now?
    >
    > Whatever is wrong is wrong. Do you care? Look at the table and find
    > out.
    >
    > Peter
    Well.. it looks strange..
    Maybe the standards of the partition layout have bean updated by MS.
    Soo the output of old msdos-fdisk and parted gets invalid?

    Per Blomqvist Guest

  4. #4

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Per Blomqvist <per.blomqvisttelia.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    >>>Yadda. Move the partition endings of whatever you changed, if you care.
    >>

    >>How do you mean?
    >>Are you saying what I suspect, the partition-table a invalid, and
    >>overlaps or something?
    >

    >>This is the output of my "fdisk -l":
    >> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    >>/dev/hda1 * 1 1028 8257378+ c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    >

    > These next two overlap. One of them is b0rken.
    >

    >>/dev/hda2 1029 4111 24764197+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
    >>/dev/hda3 2104 4111 16129260 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    >

    > These next go up to where the overlapping primary starts and are within
    > the extended. Looks like ...
    >

    >>/dev/hda5 1029 1681 5245159+ 83 Linux
    >>/dev/hda6 1682 2007 2618563+ 83 Linux
    >>/dev/hda7 2008 2103 771088+ 83 Linux
    >

    > ... you want to move the end of the extended partiton (hda2) down to cylinder
    > 2103. That should fix it. I would change the type to 0x8f too, so
    > windows ignores it from now on!
    I can't change the type to 0x8f.
    And i can't move anything with fdisk ( without removing it first )
    And I don't want to lose data.
    Thats why I prefer "parted".

    >>--end cut--
    >

    >>It was hda1 that I changed. BUT also the order of the disk's where
    >>changed of them self, by the winXP-install-cd.
    >>hda3 was previously hda7, so the changed the order.
    >

    > No. You don't understand. It changed the TYPE. From logical to primary.
    > That gave it a numbering in 1-4 instead of in 5-63. But the install
    > failed to change the extended partotion limits to exclude it.
    >
    > Your table is rather b0rken. Remake it using linux fdisk to make hda2
    > and the logical partitions within. Be very careful - measure using
    > sectors as units in fdisk, and remake the logical partitions using the
    > same sector counts, once you have set the upper limit of the hda2
    > as fdisk would like it by default.
    >
    > Send a bug report to billy.

    And you think he will bather?

    Per Blomqvist Guest

  5. #5

    It's fixed!!!

    Im deleted the partition 3.

    Then the "parted" program worked fine!!!
    And with "parted" I recreated a disk from the free space.
    Now "fdisk -l" output:
    -cut-
    Disk /dev/hda: 33.8 GB, 33820286976 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4111 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 1028 8257378+ c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/hda2 1029 4111 24764197+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 1029 1681 5245159+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda6 1682 2007 2618563+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda7 2008 2103 771088+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda8 2104 4111 16129228+ c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    pdebian:/home/per#
    -end cut-

    THANX FOR THE HELP!

    (The bug must bean ms-winXP-inst-cd-formatutils.)

    Muhamed.J Archled Guest

  6. #6

    Per Blomqvist <per.blomqvisttelia.com> wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >>>This is the output of my "fdisk -l":
    >>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    >>>/dev/hda1 * 1 1028 8257378+ c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    >>
    >> These next two overlap. One of them is b0rken.
    >>
    >>>/dev/hda2 1029 4111 24764197+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
    >>>/dev/hda3 2104 4111 16129260 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    >>
    >> These next go up to where the overlapping primary starts and are within
    >> the extended. Looks like ...
    >>

    >>>/dev/hda5 1029 1681 5245159+ 83 Linux
    >>>/dev/hda6 1682 2007 2618563+ 83 Linux
    >>>/dev/hda7 2008 2103 771088+ 83 Linux
    >>

    >> ... you want to move the end of the extended partiton (hda2) down to cylinder
    >> 2103. That should fix it. I would change the type to 0x8f too, so
    >> windows ignores it from now on!
    > I can't change the type to 0x8f.
    Wat stops you. Broken fingers? Mental programming by the stasi so that
    every time you start to do it instead you go out and buy a hamburger?
    > And i can't move anything with fdisk ( without removing it first )
    That's called "moving". What do you think moving consists of?
    > And I don't want to lose data.
    Data is not part of the partition table. The table is a few bytes in
    sector zero of the disk, and a few more bytes elsewhere. You can change
    the table and it does not change the table. And vice versa. Remove the
    whole thing and start from scratch, following the instructions I gave
    you EXACTLY. Start by writing down the exact sector offsets and wiping
    and recreating the table as practice.
    > Thats why I prefer "parted".
    Oh for gods sake, wake up, you spineless garlic skin discoloration.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  7. #7

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Per Blomqvist <per.blomqvisttelia.com> wrote:

    >>>These next two overlap. One of them is b0rken.

    >>>These next go up to where the overlapping primary starts and are within
    >>>the extended. Looks like ...

    >>>... you want to move the end of the extended partiton (hda2) down to cylinder
    >>>2103. That should fix it. I would change the type to 0x8f too, so
    >>>windows ignores it from now on!
    >>

    >>I can't change the type to 0x8f.
    >

    > Wat stops you. Broken fingers? Mental programming by the stasi so that
    > every time you start to do it instead you go out and buy a hamburger?
    0x8f is what?
    >>And i can't move anything with fdisk ( without removing it first )
    >

    > That's called "moving". What do you think moving consists of?
    >

    >>And I don't want to lose data.
    >

    > Data is not part of the partition table. The table is a few bytes in
    > sector zero of the disk, and a few more bytes elsewhere. You can change
    > the table and it does not change the table. And vice versa. Remove the
    > whole thing and start from scratch, following the instructions I gave
    > you EXACTLY. Start by writing down the exact sector offsets and wiping
    > and recreating the table as practice.
    HUH! It will wipe out my filesystem!! Moron!!!
    Only "parted" and the ms-program "partition magic" can manipulate the
    partition table, without effecting the data.
    >>Thats why I prefer "parted".
    >

    > Oh for gods sake, wake up, you spineless garlic skin discoloration.
    >
    > Peter

    u strange.
    --
    Mvh, Per Blomqvist.
    E-mail: [email]per.blomqvisttelia.com[/email]

  8. #8

    <snip>

    You suggested me to resize the extended partition, so that it only
    overlap my linux-partition's.

    The 16Gb partition was also a logical-partition ( before XP ed it
    ).. And can't be put outside the bounds of a extended-partition ( and
    primary?), on this standard msdoslabel partition-system.

    And there is no option to resize a partition in fdisk, and I can't open
    the partition-table raw.

    This is the best explanation I can give!

    And I don't know what you mean with "type 0x8f".
    And don't know of any other partition-label-systems as bsd, gpt, mac,
    dvh, pc98. Only msdos.

    It works fine now, no need to bather any more!

    //thanx & bye

    Per Blomqvist Guest

  9. #9

    NOOO!!!
    off.

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Per Blomqvist <per.blomqvisttelia.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    >>>Wat stops you. Broken fingers? Mental programming by the stasi so that
    >>

    >>0x8f is what?
    >

    > 0x80 more than the 0x0f you had before. The extra bit makes no logical
    > difference, but has the practical benefit that windows stops regarding
    > it as its own.

    >>>That's called "moving". What do you think moving consists of?

    >>>Data is not part of the partition table. The table is a few bytes in
    >>>sector zero of the disk, and a few more bytes elsewhere. You can change
    >>>the data and it does not change the table. And vice versa. Remove the
    >>>whole thing and start from scratch, following the instructions I gave
    >>>you EXACTLY. Start by writing down the exact sector offsets and wiping
    >>>and recreating the table as practice.
    >>

    >>HUH! It will wipe out my filesystem!! Moron!!!
    >

    > NO IT WON'T! (MORON!!)
    >

    >>Only "parted" and the ms-program "partition magic" can manipulate the
    >>partition table, without effecting the data.
    >

    > NONSENSE. Complete burbling nonsense. Where the heck do you get such a
    > completely false superstition from? Quite the opposite in fact! Only
    > parted and PM can manipulate the table WHILE AFFECTING the data too!
    > Is that the problem? You have mentally flipped a bit of information?
    > You have excanged "does not" for "does"?
    >

    >>>Oh for gods sake, wake up, you spineless garlic skin discoloration.
    >>

    > Peter

    Muhamed.J Archled Guest

  10. #10

    Muhamed.J Archled <fjolla_1hotmail.com> wrote:
    > NOOO!!!
    > off.
    MOOOO! off yourself.
    >> NO IT WON'T! (MORON!!)
    >>
    >>>Only "parted" and the ms-program "partition magic" can manipulate the
    >>>partition table, without effecting the data.
    >>

    >> NONSENSE. Complete burbling nonsense. Where the heck do you get such a
    >> completely false superstition from? Quite the opposite in fact! Only
    >> parted and PM can manipulate the table WHILE AFFECTING the data too!
    >> Is that the problem? You have mentally flipped a bit of information?
    >> You have excanged "does not" for "does"?

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Muhamed.J Archled Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. #12

    <snip>

    What do you get out of this:

    Device: /dev/hda
    0x000: FA EB 1F 01 B2 01 4C 49 4C 4F 16 05 29 9D 27 3F
    0x010: 00 00 00 00 57 B9 E5 01 90 07 91 07 01 FA 29 E0
    0x020: 2C 01 B8 C0 07 8E D0 BC 00 08 FB 52 53 06 56 80
    0x030: FA FE 75 02 88 F2 FC 8E D8 31 ED B4 0F CD 10 98
    0x040: CD 10 B0 4C E8 62 01 1E 07 BB 00 02 8A 76 1F 89
    0x050: D0 80 E4 80 30 E0 78 0A 3C 10 73 06 F6 46 1C 40
    0x060: 75 35 88 F2 66 8B 7E 18 66 09 FF 74 2A 52 B4 08
    0x070: B2 80 CD 13 72 57 0F B6 CA BA 7F 00 51 42 B9 01
    0x080: 00 B8 01 02 CD 13 59 58 72 45 66 3B BF B8 01 74
    0x090: 04 50 E2 E8 5A 88 E6 BE 1D 00 53 E8 47 00 B4 99
    0x0A0: 66 81 7F FC 4C 49 4C 4F 75 22 5E 68 80 08 07 31
    0x0B0: DB E8 31 00 75 FB BE 06 00 89 F7 B9 0A 00 F3 A6
    0x0C0: 75 08 06 55 B0 49 E8 E0 00 CB B4 9A 51 5A 59 B0
    0x0D0: 20 E8 D5 00 E8 C2 00 31 C0 CD 13 FE 4E 00 0F 85
    0x0E0: 65 FF F4 EB FD 52 AD 91 AC A8 60 AD 75 12 08 E4
    0x0F0: 74 0C 88 C6 B8 01 02 CD 13 72 D2 80 C7 02 5A C3
    0x100: F6 C6 20 75 02 30 E4 97 03 4E 10 13 7E 12 56 51
    0x110: 53 80 E2 8F F6 C6 20 74 2C BB AA 55 B4 41 CD 13
    0x120: 72 23 81 FB 55 AA 75 1D F6 C1 01 74 18 5B 59 66
    0x130: 6A 00 57 51 06 53 6A 01 6A 10 89 E6 B4 42 CD 13
    0x140: 8D 64 10 EB 45 5B 59 53 52 57 51 06 B4 08 CD 13
    0x150: 07 72 39 51 C0 E9 06 86 E9 89 CF 59 C1 EA 08 92
    0x160: 40 83 E1 3F F7 E1 96 58 5A 39 F2 73 23 F7 F6 39
    0x170: F8 77 1D C0 E4 06 86 E0 92 F6 F1 FE C4 00 E2 89
    0x180: D1 5A 5B 86 F0 B8 01 02 CD 13 EB 09 59 5F EB 02
    0x190: B4 40 5A 5B F9 5E E9 60 FF C1 C0 04 E8 03 00 C1
    0x1A0: C0 04 24 0F 27 04 F0 14 40 60 30 FF B4 0E CD 10
    0x1B0: 61 C3 00 00 00 00 45 67 90 07 91 07 00 00 80 01
    0x1C0: 01 00 0C FE FF FF 3F 00 00 00 C5 FE FB 00 00 FE
    0x1D0: FF FF 0F FE FF FF 04 FF FB 00 4B BE F3 02 00 00
    0x1E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x1F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 AA

    0x000: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x030: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x040: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x050: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x060: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x070: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x090: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x0A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x0B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x0C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x0D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x0E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x0F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x100: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x110: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x120: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x130: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x140: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x150: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x160: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x170: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x180: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x190: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x1A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x1B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FE
    0x1C0: FF FF 83 FE FF FF 7E 00 00 00 CF 11 A0 00 00 FE
    0x1D0: FF FF 05 FE FF FF 4D 12 A0 00 C6 E9 4F 00 00 00
[...]

    0x1C0: FF FF 83 FE FF FF 3F 00 00 00 87 E9 4F 00 00 FE
    0x1D0: FF FF 05 FE FF FF 13 FC EF 00 60 88 17 00 00 00
[...]

    0x1C0: FF FF 83 FE FF FF 3F 00 00 00 21 88 17 00 00 FE
    0x1D0: FF FF 05 FE FF FF 73 84 07 01 D8 39 EC 01 00 00
[...]

    0x1C0: FF FF 0C FE FF FF 3F 00 00 00 99 39 EC 01 00 00
    0x1D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x1E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0x1F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 AA

    It's my partition table raw.
    What do you make out of it???

    AND ooh, even IF you understand anything, you can't change what you say
    with "fdisk" ( only view it ). As you "dragging"!

    "MORON"

    Muhamed.J Archled Guest