Professional Web Applications Themes

Partition question (dual boot): DISK GRUID - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

hi, hopefully someone could help me... i have a hard drive that has 1 primary partition and 1 extended partition for my windows. now, i'm trying to install linux. when i get to "disk partitioning setup", i select "automatically partition". but linux gave me an error. so i use "manually partition with disk gruid" and partition /, /boot, and swap without check on "force to be primary partition". it gave me an error on the last partition. i think it's because 1 hard drive can only have 4 primary partitions. my question is: how can i create an extended partition ...

  1. #1

    Default Partition question (dual boot): DISK GRUID

    hi, hopefully someone could help me...

    i have a hard drive that has 1 primary partition and 1 extended
    partition for my windows. now, i'm trying to install linux.
    when i get to "disk partitioning setup", i select "automatically
    partition". but linux gave me an error.
    so i use "manually partition with disk gruid" and partition /, /boot,
    and swap without check on "force to be primary partition". it gave me
    an error on the last partition. i think it's because 1 hard drive can
    only have 4 primary partitions.

    my question is:
    how can i create an extended partition in disk gruid????
    or how do i solve this problem

    thanks for the help
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Partition question (dual boot): DISK GRUID

    David Kuo wrote:

    First you should have made some free disk space for linux to
    install into. Linux won't damage your windows partition unless
    you tell it to which is probably what the error you got. But if
    you used "Disk Druid" to repartition the drive then you could
    have wiped out your windows partition.

    A couple of things to remember when posting.
    Mention which distro and version.
    Any error messages that you get, not just "linux gave me an error".
    And if it is hardware related what hardware make and model.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

    David Guest

  3. #3

    I cannot post to groups that so not exist here.
    restricting this reply to col.setup

    Where is the free space? inside the extended partition?

    What error

    Is boot required? how old is your machine? less then 5 years? then don't
    bother. swap is not required either.(although I recommend it) You can
    always create a swap file after the installation is done.

    And only one can be an extended partition

    Insert all free space into the extended partition. Use Partition Magic
    (or perhaps parted) to do this.

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  4. #4

    David <net> wrote in message news:<UF_lb.12420$Fm2.8201attbi_s04>...

    > First you should have made some free disk space for linux to
    > install into. Linux won't damage your windows partition unless
    > you tell it to which is probably what the error you got. But if
    > you used "Disk Druid" to repartition the drive then you could
    > have wiped out your windows partition.
    >
    > A couple of things to remember when posting.
    > Mention which distro and version.
    > Any error messages that you get, not just "linux gave me an error".
    > And if it is hardware related what hardware make and model.[/ref]

    hi, i have enough space for linux. here is my partition

    hda1 - dos primary 2 GB
    hda2 - dos extend 8 GB
    | hda5 - dos logical 4 GB
    | hda6 - dos logical 4 GB
    free - 10 GB
    total 20 GB

    i'm trying to install redhat linux 9. if i could partition the free
    10 GB into 1 primary (for /) and 1 extend (for /boot, and swap) then
    i'm in good shape. but i don't know how to create an extended
    partition in DISK GRUID. please help... thanks.
    David Guest

  5. #5

    David Kuo wrote:

    On the newer distro's you don't have to separate a /boot
    partition. That was an old remedy to solve the 1024 cylinder
    limit of the BIOS.
    I would keep it fairly simple maybe something like this.

    I think Disk Druid makes the extended partition when you make a
    logical partition. But things have been known to change and I
    haven't used redhat since 7.3 came out.

    Maybe 4 GB for "/" root which is fairly large unless you are
    going to try and install everything included with the distro.

    And a swap partition depending on physical memory the system has.
    I use a 1GB swap on a system with 2GB physical memory and swap is
    rarely used and when it does swap it's usually less than 200MB. I
    have another system that has 192MB physical memory and a 256MB
    swap and don't have any problems with it and swap still isn't
    used all that much.

    I would separate /home to it's own partition since this is where
    all users personal files will be stored. With /home on it's own
    partition if you need to do a re-install for some reason, or
    decide to upgrade it makes it easier.

    Here is the output of "df" on this system.
    df -h
    /dev/sda1 3.8G 1.7G 2.2G 44% /
    /dev/sda6 2.3G 169M 2.1G 8% /home
    /dev/sda7 28G 15G 13G 55% /home/ftp

    As you can see the "/" partition is rather large for what I have
    installed and yet RedHat can take around 6GB if you install
    everything.

    BTW "/" is the only primary partition in the "df" clip above.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.22 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.2
    Uptime: 18 days, 2:52, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.09, 0.05

    David Guest

  6. #6

    On 24 Oct 2003 11:55:22 -0700, David Kuo
    <net> wrote:

    You already have an extended partition, and you should only have one per
    drive. You can make the free space into a primary partition, or enlarge
    your extended partition (you may need parted for that, I'm not familiar
    with Disk Druid).

    --
    You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
    Bill Guest

  7. #7

    Bill Mar <com> wrote in message news:<localnet>...

    > You already have an extended partition, and you should only have one per
    > drive. You can make the free space into a primary partition, or enlarge
    > your extended partition (you may need parted for that, I'm not familiar
    > with Disk Druid).[/ref]

    thank you all for the info. after using "parted" to enlarge my
    extended partition, the problem is solved.
    David Guest