Professional Web Applications Themes

Partition sharing - Debian

I have four Linux systems (two Debians) installed with all sharing a single swap and a /home partition. (Don't ask why......it's just because they were available..... but everything seems to work fine.) Question--what advantage or disadvantage would there be if multiple Linux systems shared additional partitions such as /temp, /usr, /var,......? Is this even practical? alex -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [email]debian-user-requestlists.debian.org[/email] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [email]listmasterlists.debian.org[/email]...

  1. #1

    Default Partition sharing

    I have four Linux systems (two Debians) installed with all sharing a
    single swap and a /home partition. (Don't ask why......it's just
    because they were available..... but everything seems to work fine.)

    Question--what advantage or disadvantage would there be if multiple
    Linux systems shared additional partitions such as /temp, /usr,
    /var,......? Is this even practical?

    alex

    alex Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Partition sharing

    On Sun, August 03 at 8:25 AM EDT
    alex <radskyncia.net> wrote:
    >I have four Linux systems (two Debians) installed with all sharing a
    >single swap and a /home partition. (Don't ask why......it's just
    >because they were available..... but everything seems to work fine.)
    Cool it only makes sense to reuse swap space.

    >Question--what advantage or disadvantage would there be if multiple
    >Linux systems shared additional partitions such as /temp, /usr,
    >/var,......? Is this even practical?
    >
    >alex
    If you mean /tmp not /temp then I guess that is "sharable" without
    problems - I assume you have 4 different distros on one local box - not
    mounting drives from other machines, right? I would stay away from /usr
    and /var as too many programs use them and if you install a program with
    distro specifc items you will definitely run into problems. I am sure
    someone will post specific problems for you :0

    My two cents,

    Shawn Lamson
    [email]shawn.lamsonverizon.net[/email]

    Shawn Lamson Guest

  3. #3

    hi ya

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, alex wrote:
    > I have four Linux systems (two Debians) installed with all sharing a
    > single swap and a /home partition. (Don't ask why......it's just
    > because they were available..... but everything seems to work fine.)
    >
    > Question--what advantage or disadvantage would there be if multiple
    > Linux systems shared additional partitions such as /temp, /usr,
    > /var,......? Is this even practical?
    in general .. sharing /home is a good thing ( keep your data the same )

    but 2-more distro's cannot share /var -- there are many different packages
    and libraries used by the different distro, dittor for /lib, /usr,
    etc..etc..

    in general, /tmp can be shared ... only one distro will be up and running
    at any given time ..

    unconditionally keep /home ( stuff you edited/created ) separate from the
    system files which is (backedup) on cdrom or gazillion places on the net
    - you backup *your* stuff ( /home, /etc )

    if you have 50/100 "identical" machines .. sharing /usr/local might be a
    good thing to do too ... less updating/verification/testing/fixes/patches
    to do across individual boxes ( but than again, all that should be 100%
    automated, so it wont matter if you have 2 or 2,000 boxes )

    c ya
    alvin

    Alvin Oga Guest

  4. #4

    Hello

    Shawn Lamson (<shawn.lamsonverizon.net>) wrote:
    > On Sun, August 03 at 8:25 AM EDT
    > alex <radskyncia.net> wrote:
    >>I have four Linux systems (two Debians) installed with all sharing a
    >>single swap and a /home partition. (Don't ask why......it's just
    >>because they were available..... but everything seems to work fine.)
    > Cool it only makes sense to reuse swap space.
    >>Question--what advantage or disadvantage would there be if multiple
    >>Linux systems shared additional partitions such as /temp, /usr,
    >>/var,......? Is this even practical?
    > If you mean /tmp not /temp then I guess that is "sharable" without
    > problems - I assume you have 4 different distros on one local box -
    > not mounting drives from other machines, right?
    Debian cleans /tmp by default at boot time anyway, so there will be no
    problems sharing /tmp.
    > I would stay away from
    > /usr and /var as too many programs use them and if you install a
    > program with
    > distro specifc items you will definitely run into problems. I am sure
    > someone will post specific problems for you :0
    Most programs installed through package management go to /usr, so it is
    in most cases somehow useles to use different installation if you use
    the same /usr partition. Also, packages installed to /usr can depend on
    libraries or programs that are installed in /lib, /bin or /sbin, and if
    you mount /usr from another installation with different packages, some
    programs maybe won't run because they cannot find libraries. Also
    mounting /usr from Debian stable in an Debian unstable system would not
    work very well because of library version incompatibilities (e.g.
    glibc). You will have the same problems is you try to use /usr from an
    recent RedHat, SuSE or Mandrake in Debian Woody.

    Debian package management tools like apt and dpkg store information
    about available and installed packages in /var, and your package
    management will surely get confused if you install a package that
    depends on a package not installed according to /var, but that is
    already in /usr.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    [email]andreas.janssenbigfoot.com[/email]

    Andreas Janssen Guest