Professional Web Applications Themes

Partition size advice - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi all, Im narrowing things down now, and have read a lot of material, but still have questions (of course). Ive made most of the decisions as to how to proceed (except whether Ill go with SuSE or RH, and Im looking for your opinions on this partitioning layout: Laptop with a 30 gig HD, 256MB RAM, 2.53GHz P4: hda1 NTFS 15GB Win XP (currently a shade over 8GB used) hda2 ext3 100MB /boot hda3 ext3 5.5GB / hda4 ext3 400MB /swap hda5 FAT32 5GB shared by Win and Linux hda6 ext3 4GB /home Primary partitions: hda1, hda2, hda5 Logical ...

  1. #1

    Default Partition size advice

    Hi all,

    Im narrowing things down now, and have read a lot of material, but still
    have questions (of course). Ive made most of the decisions as to how to
    proceed (except whether Ill go with SuSE or RH, and Im looking for your
    opinions on this partitioning layout:

    Laptop with a 30 gig HD, 256MB RAM, 2.53GHz P4:

    hda1 NTFS 15GB Win XP (currently a shade over 8GB used)
    hda2 ext3 100MB /boot

    hda3 ext3 5.5GB /
    hda4 ext3 400MB /swap
    hda5 FAT32 5GB shared by Win and Linux
    hda6 ext3 4GB /home

    Primary partitions: hda1, hda2, hda5
    Logical partitions: hda3, hda4, hda6

    Im not planning on installing every package under the sun (yet)...Ill be
    using it mainly as a home user.

    Also, it's recommended that I make boot disks for Linux and Win, but Im on
    a laptop and dont have a floppy drive. Should I then boot from the install
    disk, or burn a boot disk CD (not the most economical in terms of the CD,
    but theyre cheap enough I guess).

    Im a newbie with Linux, and Im open to any suggestions you might have!

    TIA,
    Mike Trozzo

    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Partition size advice

    > Im narrowing things down now, and have read a lot of material, but

    /swap does not exist (ordinarily)

    That makes no sense.
    hda5 is a logical partition by definition.
    hda3 and hda4 are primary by definition.

    Not really necessary for the linux case at least.
    Any ol' installation CD will do. There are also several rescue CD
    images to be found on the web.

    I find your /home fairly big.
    But it depends on your usage whether or not it is too big.
    I would grant more space to the win/linux share instead.
    2G is plenty for a single user /home

    finally, although you can grant /boot a separate partition,
    there's no real need. other partitions, like /var, would be better
    served by their own partition. But for your system, just separating
    /home from the rest will suffice. After you used the system a while,
    you can check what amount of space some major directories take.
    Then you could start to partition your system properly, matching
    your usage profile.

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  3. #3

    Mike Trozzo wrote:

    put the fat32 partition up just after the ntfs partition.
    for a simple home box, it's not important to put /home
    in its own partition. so, what you'd have:

    P ntfs
    L fat32
    L swap
    L /boot
    L /

    the 'L's signify logical partitions. it really is a
    personal preference, but __i__ like to create the one
    primary, then create an extended to consume the
    balance of the drive, then create logicals inside it.

    this is incorrect. hda5 would be an extended, which takes
    up one of the primary partition slots. all after hda5 are
    then logicals. hda1-4 are primary partitions

    just hang on to the install CDs - they can be used to boot
    into the system in case of catastrophic failure
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me.
    I'm afraid of widths. - Steve Wright

    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    Mike Trozzo on Tuesday 07 October 2003 08:19 wrote:

    This partitioning is working? I mean everything boots up, etc? You've
    got to have the partitions numbering wrong, if it does.

    hda5 can ONLY be a Logical.

    hda3 and 4 can ONLY be Primary.

    Also, Logical partitions can only be part of an Extended partition,
    and an Extended partition "runs" on a Primary partition. You can have
    only ONE Extended partition per hard drive.

    There can ONLY be 4 Primary partitions -- hda1,2,3, and 4. Logical
    partitions are hda5 and higher.

    In a terminal, enter the command 'df' (without the single quotes).
    What's the output? Or use Linux fdisk and enter the command 'p' to
    list the hard drive's Partition Table.

    If you haven't set up this partitioning scheme, yet, DON'T! It won't
    work. Or if it does, there is something dreadfully wrong.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    com

  5. #5

    Stefan Patric wrote:

    ..... uhhhh. this person is throwing out ideas, not hard facts
    of some existing system
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    Logic is a little bird, sitting in a tree; that smells ____ awful*.

    mjt Guest

  6. #6

    > put the fat32 partition up just after the ntfs partition. for a simple

    That depends. If you ever which to re-install, this is the easiest
    way to keep your /home intact.

    Why separate /boot ?
    I can see no good reason for it. Especially if it is located this
    far back in the chain. (unless you prefer to mount it read-only)

    It's more than that. You are limited to only 4 primary partitions.
    This limit is not there for logical. Keep as much of your space inside
    the extended partition. That easies things a lot if you ever decide to
    split some partitions.

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks a million for the help, Michael and Eric!

    Can I have /boot in a logical partition? Also, do I need to worry about
    /boot being outside the first 1024 cylinders (since the XP partition is
    quite a bit over the 8.2 gig limit)? Ive read that it isnt really an
    issue with more recent BIOSs, but theres still a glimmer of doubt in my
    mind. I've decided to use grub as my bootloader BTW.

    I'm also leaning towards separating out a /home partition just so I dont
    toast my configuration if I reinstall (or switch distros(?))

    // this is from Michael's post, although both of you rightfully nailed me to
    the wall on this one.

    > this is incorrect. hda5 would be an extended, which takes
    > up one of the primary partition slots. all after hda5 are
    > then logicals. hda1-4 are primary partitions
    >[/ref]

    <homer>D'OH!</homer>
    *as the light bulb of recognition goes on above my head* :-) I hadnt
    realized that the numbering was laid out as such.

    Anyway, heres my revised layout:

    P hda1 NTFS 15GB WinXP
    P hda2 extended
    L hda5 FAT32 8.5GB (shared Win/Linux)
    L hda6 swap 500MB
    L hda7 / 3GB
    L hda8 /home 3GB

    but contemplating whether or not to drop in a 100MB /boot partition right
    behind the FAT32 slice.

    Do you guys think it looks better now?

    Im almost ready to do this...I have the chicken ready to be sacrificed
    (nothing sinister, its just dinner..the chicken is already roasted).

    Thanks again,
    Mike

    Mike Guest

  8. #8

    > Can I have /boot in a logical partition?

    Yes you can, but there's no need

    no problem for grub, nor for recent BIOS-es

    a wise decision I'd say.

    nah. you can if you want to mount it read-only. Otherwise don't bother.

    I do.
    I'd give one more gig to /, as I've got my 3G almost filled
    up completely

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  9. #9

    Mike Trozzo wrote:

    .... yes

    .... depends on the bios - should be okay with modern h/w

    .... that's fine.

    .... your call

    .... looks fine to me
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    Expense Accounts, n.: Corporate food stamps.

    mjt Guest

  10. #10

    Eric Moors wrote:

    mtoblerstimpy:~> df
    /dev/hda19 17678956 9591364 8087592 55% /
    .... :)

    mjt Guest