Professional Web Applications Themes

partitions and permissions - Mac Applications & Software

I have an iBook that is divided into a 20Gig partition with OS9.2 and a 10Gig partition with OSX. At the time I bought the machine, I was planning to stick with OS9 for the foreseeable future and I read somewhere (probably here) that it was a good idea to have separate partitions for OS9 and OSX. Well, I'm moving to OSX much sooner than I expected and now I find it kind of a pain to deal with two partitions. Should I reformat the hard drive into a single partition? Is there any good reason to remain with two? ...

  1. #1

    Default partitions and permissions

    I have an iBook that is divided into a 20Gig partition with OS9.2
    and a 10Gig partition with OSX. At the time I bought the machine, I was
    planning to stick with OS9 for the foreseeable future and I read
    somewhere (probably here) that it was a good idea to have separate
    partitions for OS9 and OSX.
    Well, I'm moving to OSX much sooner than I expected and now I find
    it kind of a pain to deal with two partitions. Should I reformat the
    hard drive into a single partition? Is there any good reason to remain
    with two?
    Also, I'd like to know if there's any way to repair permissions on
    the OS9 drive. Disk Utility won't let me do this -- it will only repair
    permissions on the OSX partition. That has all the OSX system files,
    libraries, etc. but because it's a smaller partition, I'm putting most
    of my own doent files on the OS9 partition.
    I haven't been having any particular permissions problems so far,
    but I'm trying to think ahead.
    Thanks for any help.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: partitions and permissions

    In article <gnp7b.2139$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    This is not really a meaningful question with regard to doent files.
    Mac OS X can only repair permissions on files if it knows what the
    correct permissions are. But of course you can set permissions on your
    doents to be whatever you want, so therefore there's no attempt to
    repair them regardless of whether they're on the boot disk or some other
    disk. So, you're not missing out on anything here.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  3. #3

    In article <tph-135BA5.13353809092003localhost>,
    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > This is not really a meaningful question with regard to doent files.
    > Mac OS X can only repair permissions on files if it knows what the
    > correct permissions are. But of course you can set permissions on your
    > doents to be whatever you want, so therefore there's no attempt to
    > repair them regardless of whether they're on the boot disk or some other
    > disk. So, you're not missing out on anything here.[/ref]

    Okay, thank you. I wondered about that when I saw the names of the
    files whose permissions were being changed and realized they were all
    obscure things that I didn't recognize.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  4. #4

    In article <gnp7b.2139$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    So you don't have to re-format your HD.

    Also, troubleshooting may be easier, if you have to totally re-install
    OS X. You can erase the OS X partition and start over (provided you've
    backed up user folders.

    Jeff K
    Jeff Guest

  5. #5

    In article <east.earthlink.net>,
    Jeff <net> wrote:

    > So you don't have to re-format your HD.[/ref]

    That's a good point. I'm not anxious to do it.

    I guess my choice is dealing with the minor daily aggravations of
    dealing with two partitions versus losing troubleshooting advantages in
    the (hopefully) rare occurrence of system corruption.
    Maybe the best move for now is to try to re-organize my thinking
    about how I deal with the two partitions and see if I can make things
    more efficient.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  6. #6

    In article <gnp7b.2139$bellglobal.com>, dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    Before changing *anything* from the default configuration as shipped from
    Apple (especially something as awkward to undo as partitioning), I would
    tend to think twice, or even three times.

    I never have understood the assumption that some random "experts" on a
    newsgroup (and this includes me) know better than the engineers and
    developers at Apple who are _paid_ to make intelligent decisions.

    The advice to partition may have made some sense back in OSX public
    beta and 10.0 days, but has been worthless since then. I don't
    recall seeing any of the folks who I actually trust around here
    advising a dual OS9/OSX partition scheme in the last 12-18 months.

    If I was you, I would recognize that I made a mistake, back up
    everything, reinstall to a single partition, and be done with it.

    --
    Jim Glidewell
    My opinions only

  7. #7

    In article <sdc.cs.boeing.com>,
    net (Jim Glidewell) wrote:

    Easy; the intelligence of a decision depends on the goal you're trying
    to achieve. In the case of drive partitioning, one major criteria for
    intelligence on Apple's part is to avoid confusing technically unskilled
    users. That leaves one partition, and also eliminates things like
    giving the buyer a choice of partitioning options at purchase time.
    They do, however, provide a simple tool which a more-skilled user can
    use to change this setup if they desire.

    A particular user's criteria for an intelligent choice here may be
    different. Asking in newsgroups is but one way of trying to figure out
    what the best choice might be.

    That said, I agree that partitioning is not _usually_ necessary.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  8. #8

    In article <sdc.cs.boeing.com>,
    net (Jim Glidewell) wrote:

    Yeah, I was afraid of that. That's what I'll do when I get some
    time.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest