I'm not a subhuman cretin -- anagrama [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => <8c2u53xr7p.ln2@news.gates-of-hell.com> [ref] => <438c10e9@212.67.96.135> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => SINNER [ip] => 99nesorjd@gates [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 6 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Partitions problem - Ubuntu
Professional Web Applications Themes

Partitions problem - Ubuntu

I am having trouble creating the FAT32 partition I have planned at the end of my drive. Currently, I have: hda1 - NTFS - 10,498MB - Main XP partition hda2 - NTFS - 3,499MB - XP Swap file partition hda3 - ext3 - 10,017 - Ubuntu main partition hda4 - extended partition - 1,906 -hda5 - linux-swap - 1,906 unallocated - 50,391 I want all of that unallocated space to be FAT32 so that it's accessible by both Ubuntu and XP, but I don't seem to be able to put anything in there now. I thought that I could just ...

  1. #1

    Default Partitions problem

    I am having trouble creating the FAT32 partition I have planned at the
    end of my drive.

    Currently, I have:
    hda1 - NTFS - 10,498MB - Main XP partition
    hda2 - NTFS - 3,499MB - XP Swap file partition
    hda3 - ext3 - 10,017 - Ubuntu main partition
    hda4 - extended partition - 1,906
    -hda5 - linux-swap - 1,906
    unallocated - 50,391

    I want all of that unallocated space to be FAT32 so that it's accessible
    by both Ubuntu and XP, but I don't seem to be able to put anything in
    there now. I thought that I could just slot another partition into that
    extended partition, but nothing seems to be letting me do it. Not
    Ubunto, not XP, not Knoppix.
    Is there a way to do this? Please don't tell me that I have to format
    everything AGAIN????

    How can I extend the extended partition so that I can slot the FAT32
    drive at the end?

    If that's not possible, is there a way to delete the extended and the
    swap, then put them back (along with the new FAT32 drive) without
    breaking everything?

    Please help.
    Damian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Partitions problem

    Damian wrote:
    > If that's not possible, is there a way to delete the extended and the
    > swap, then put them back (along with the new FAT32 drive) without
    > breaking everything?

    PartitionMagic Its for WinXp or DOS. But its not for free.
    Supports FAT, FAT32, NTFS, Ext2, and Ext3 file systems
    [url]http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/system_performance/pm80/[/url]

    mvh
    Henning

    Henning Pręstegaard Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:27:29 +0000, Damian wrote:

    > I want all of that unallocated space to be FAT32 so that it's accessible
    > by both Ubuntu and XP, but I don't seem to be able to put anything in
    > there now. I thought that I could just slot another partition into that
    > extended partition, but nothing seems to be letting me do it. Not Ubunto,
    > not XP, not Knoppix.
    > Is there a way to do this? Please don't tell me that I have to format
    > everything AGAIN????
    >
    > How can I extend the extended partition so that I can slot the FAT32 drive
    > at the end?

    You can use parted to create a new partition in your unused space, it
    supports creating fat32. It's included in Ubuntu by default. I suggest you
    try booting off the livecd or, if you don't have that, booting off Knoppix
    (I'm sure knoppix has parted installed even though it's been a while since
    I last used it).

    I'm suggesting using a livecd because the disk needs to be unused for the
    operation to take place.

    Check here for doentation on how to use parted, it's not hard at all:
    [url]http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html#doentation[/url]

    Seeker Guest

  4. #4

    Henning Pręstegaard wrote:
    > Damian wrote:
    >
    >> If that's not possible, is there a way to delete the extended and the
    >> swap, then put them back (along with the new FAT32 drive) without
    >> breaking everything?
    >>
    > PartitionMagic Its for WinXp or DOS. But its not for free.
    > Supports FAT, FAT32, NTFS, Ext2, and Ext3 file systems
    > [url]http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/system_performance/pm80/[/url]
    >
    > mvh
    > Henning

    Thanks Henning

    I'll try it again, but it cane up with an error last time
    Damian Guest

  5. #5

    Seeker wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:27:29 +0000, Damian wrote:
    >

    >> I want all of that unallocated space to be FAT32 so that it's accessible
    >> by both Ubuntu and XP, but I don't seem to be able to put anything in
    >> there now. I thought that I could just slot another partition into that
    >> extended partition, but nothing seems to be letting me do it. Not Ubunto,
    >> not XP, not Knoppix.
    >> Is there a way to do this? Please don't tell me that I have to format
    >> everything AGAIN????
    >>
    >> How can I extend the extended partition so that I can slot the FAT32 drive
    >> at the end?
    >>

    > You can use parted to create a new partition in your unused space, it
    > supports creating fat32. It's included in Ubuntu by default. I suggest you
    > try booting off the livecd or, if you don't have that, booting off Knoppix
    > (I'm sure knoppix has parted installed even though it's been a while since
    > I last used it).
    >
    > I'm suggesting using a livecd because the disk needs to be unused for the
    > operation to take place.
    >
    > Check here for doentation on how to use parted, it's not hard at all:
    > [url]http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html#doentation[/url]

    Thanks for writing Seeker,

    I tried all of that, but neither the Ubuntu live CD or Knoppix would let
    me add anything into the unused space. It looks like the size of the
    extended partition that the Linux Swap is in is set to the same size as
    the Linux swap, and I can't make it bigger to put the FAT32 partition in
    there.

    Damian

    Damian Guest

  6. #6

    * Damian wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > I am having trouble creating the FAT32 partition I have planned at the
    > end of my drive.
    > Currently, I have:
    > hda1 - NTFS - 10,498MB - Main XP partition
    > hda2 - NTFS - 3,499MB - XP Swap file partition
    > hda3 - ext3 - 10,017 - Ubuntu main partition
    > hda4 - extended partition - 1,906
    > -hda5 - linux-swap - 1,906
    > unallocated - 50,391
    > I want all of that unallocated space to be FAT32 so that it's accessible
    > by both Ubuntu and XP, but I don't seem to be able to put anything in
    > there now. I thought that I could just slot another partition into that
    > extended partition, but nothing seems to be letting me do it. Not
    > Ubunto, not XP, not Knoppix.
    > Is there a way to do this? Please don't tell me that I have to format
    > everything AGAIN????
    [url]http://www.bootdisk.com[/url]

    get a win98 bootdisk and boot the machine. Run Fdisk and have a look at
    the partition. Allocate and format as necessary, you should then be able
    to reboot and add the new partion to your fstab so it mounts as R/W.

    --
    David
    The brian Mountains <--> I'm not a subhuman cretin

  7. #7

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Damian wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> I am having trouble creating the FAT32 partition I have planned at the
    >> end of my drive.
    >
    >> Currently, I have:
    >> hda1 - NTFS - 10,498MB - Main XP partition
    >> hda2 - NTFS - 3,499MB - XP Swap file partition
    >> hda3 - ext3 - 10,017 - Ubuntu main partition
    >> hda4 - extended partition - 1,906
    >> -hda5 - linux-swap - 1,906
    >> unallocated - 50,391
    >
    >> I want all of that unallocated space to be FAT32 so that it's accessible
    >> by both Ubuntu and XP, but I don't seem to be able to put anything in
    >> there now. I thought that I could just slot another partition into that
    >> extended partition, but nothing seems to be letting me do it. Not
    >> Ubunto, not XP, not Knoppix.
    >> Is there a way to do this? Please don't tell me that I have to format
    >> everything AGAIN????
    >
    > [url]http://www.bootdisk.com[/url]
    >
    > get a win98 bootdisk and boot the machine. Run Fdisk and have a look at
    > the partition. Allocate and format as necessary, you should then be able
    > to reboot and add the new partion to your fstab so it mounts as R/W.

    Thanks for that

    I don't have a floppy drive on my laptop, but guess I could do similar
    from a bootable CD

    My problem is that I need to increce the size of the extended partition
    before I can put a FAT32 partition after it. I don't know how I can do
    that without deleting the Linux-Swap drive, but if I do that .. how can
    I put it back and keep Ubuntu happy?

    I've just tried the latest version of partition Magic in XP, and that
    didn't do anything.
    Damian Guest

  8. #8

    Damian <damian.surronetel.net> wrote in news:438c6785
    212.67.96.135:
    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * Damian wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>> I am having trouble creating the FAT32 partition I have
    planned at
    >>> the end of my drive.
    >>
    >>> Currently, I have:
    >>> hda1 - NTFS - 10,498MB - Main XP partition
    >>> hda2 - NTFS - 3,499MB - XP Swap file partition
    >>> hda3 - ext3 - 10,017 - Ubuntu main partition
    >>> hda4 - extended partition - 1,906
    >>> -hda5 - linux-swap - 1,906
    >>> unallocated - 50,391
    >>
    >>> I want all of that unallocated space to be FAT32 so that
    it's
    >>> accessible by both Ubuntu and XP, but I don't seem to be
    able to put
    >>> anything in there now. I thought that I could just slot
    another
    >>> partition into that extended partition, but nothing seems
    to be
    >>> letting me do it. Not Ubunto, not XP, not Knoppix.
    >>> Is there a way to do this? Please don't tell me that I
    have to
    >>> format everything AGAIN????
    >>
    >> [url]http://www.bootdisk.com[/url]
    >>
    >> get a win98 bootdisk and boot the machine. Run Fdisk and
    have a look
    >> at the partition. Allocate and format as necessary, you
    should then
    >> be able to reboot and add the new partion to your fstab so
    it mounts
    >> as R/W.
    >>

    > Thanks for that
    >
    > I don't have a floppy drive on my laptop, but guess I could
    do similar
    > from a bootable CD
    >
    > My problem is that I need to increce the size of the
    extended
    > partition before I can put a FAT32 partition after it. I
    don't know
    > how I can do that without deleting the Linux-Swap drive, but
    if I do
    > that .. how can I put it back and keep Ubuntu happy?
    >
    > I've just tried the latest version of partition Magic in XP,
    and that
    > didn't do anything.
    Why do you have a separate partition for XP (and why so
    large)?
    The only way a separate partition is an advantage is if it's
    located on
    a separate physical drive.

    I'd just delete the linux swap, then the extended partition
    hda4 (as
    long as you're sure that's what/where they are), then make a
    new, larger
    extended partition and create the linux swap & fat32 within
    it.
    Shouldn't be a problem for your existing linux (or xp) setup,
    just use
    mkswap & swapon or whatever to enable the linux swap
    Myname Guest

  9. #9

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:36:38 +0000, Damian wrote:
    > I tried all of that, but neither the Ubuntu live CD or Knoppix would let
    > me add anything into the unused space. It looks like the size of the
    > extended partition that the Linux Swap is in is set to the same size as
    > the Linux swap, and I can't make it bigger to put the FAT32 partition in
    > there.
    Did you try the command line parted? You said you have 50 or so GB free.
    You can create a partition there with parted, no?

    Seeker Guest

  10. #10

    Myname wrote:
    > Damian <damian.surronetel.net> wrote in news:438c6785
    > 212.67.96.135:
    >
    >> SINNER wrote:
    > planned at
    > it's
    > able to put
    > another
    > to be
    > have to
    >>> [url]http://www.bootdisk.com[/url]
    >>>
    >>> get a win98 bootdisk and boot the machine. Run Fdisk and
    > have a look
    >>> at the partition. Allocate and format as necessary, you
    > should then
    >>> be able to reboot and add the new partion to your fstab so
    > it mounts
    >>> as R/W.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for that
    >>
    >> I don't have a floppy drive on my laptop, but guess I could
    > do similar
    >> from a bootable CD
    >>
    >> My problem is that I need to increce the size of the
    > extended
    >> partition before I can put a FAT32 partition after it. I
    > don't know
    >> how I can do that without deleting the Linux-Swap drive, but
    > if I do
    >> that .. how can I put it back and keep Ubuntu happy?
    >>
    >> I've just tried the latest version of partition Magic in XP,
    > and that
    >> didn't do anything.
    >
    > Why do you have a separate partition for XP (and why so
    > large)?
    > The only way a separate partition is an advantage is if it's
    > located on
    > a separate physical drive.
    >
    > I'd just delete the linux swap, then the extended partition
    > hda4 (as
    > long as you're sure that's what/where they are), then make a
    > new, larger
    > extended partition and create the linux swap & fat32 within
    > it.
    > Shouldn't be a problem for your existing linux (or xp) setup,
    > just use
    > mkswap & swapon or whatever to enable the linux swap
    I've got a Swap partition for XP so that it doesn't get fragmented with
    usual file transfer use.

    Thanks for your suggestion. That's pretty much where I'd got to. I'll
    try it late. How can I check if Ubuntu is using the swap drive correctly
    when I have finished?
    Damian Guest

  11. #11

    Damian wrote:
    > Myname wrote:
    >> Damian <damian.surronetel.net> wrote in news:438c6785
    >> 212.67.96.135:

    >> planned at
    >> it's
    >> able to put
    >> another
    >> to be
    >> have to

    >> have a look
    >> should then
    >> it mounts
    >>>>
    >>> Thanks for that
    >>>
    >>> I don't have a floppy drive on my laptop, but guess I could
    >> do similar
    >>> from a bootable CD
    >>>
    >>> My problem is that I need to increce the size of the
    >> extended
    >>> partition before I can put a FAT32 partition after it. I
    >> don't know
    >>> how I can do that without deleting the Linux-Swap drive, but
    >> if I do
    >>> that .. how can I put it back and keep Ubuntu happy?
    >>>
    >>> I've just tried the latest version of partition Magic in XP,
    >> and that
    >>> didn't do anything.
    >>
    >> Why do you have a separate partition for XP (and why so large)?
    >> The only way a separate partition is an advantage is if it's located on
    >> a separate physical drive.
    >> I'd just delete the linux swap, then the extended partition hda4 (as
    >> long as you're sure that's what/where they are), then make a new, larger
    >> extended partition and create the linux swap & fat32 within it.
    >> Shouldn't be a problem for your existing linux (or xp) setup, just use
    >> mkswap & swapon or whatever to enable the linux swap
    >
    > I've got a Swap partition for XP so that it doesn't get fragmented with
    > usual file transfer use.
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestion. That's pretty much where I'd got to. I'll
    > try it late. How can I check if Ubuntu is using the swap drive correctly
    > when I have finished?
    If I do it all with a 'LiveCD', do I even have to change anything in
    Ubuntu? Maybe it would just use the new Swap without questioning
    anything as nothing will have changed will it? As far as the OS is
    concerned.

    But again, I need a way to check if this is the case or not and what to
    do if it doesn't work out.
    Damian Guest

  12. #12

    Hmm. Good question.

    I don't know how guru you are. I can only guess. But if you're pretty handy
    around both Ubuntu and XP you may wish to consider this.

    Now, if you've already tried something, then disregard this. But if you're
    still stuck, you may wish to try this out. I'm quoting from a source that
    has helped me out a great deal: The Breezy Customization Guide
    ([url]http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/BreezyCust[/url]).

    If you look at the section called "Restore Grub"
    ([url]http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Restore_Grub[/url]), take a peek at this process.
    Again: only hazard this if you're brave enough or you have everthing
    important backed up *wink*.

    XP on my NTFS partition went wonky. Now, I gave this tip a try. It's a bit
    brief in its instructions on how to do things. So you've gotta poke around.
    But if you go through the setup feature you reach a point where you're asked
    to set up your partitions. You can set them manually. Move the cursor to
    highlight the rogue partition. You can then set it to be FAT32.

    I broke my Edubuntu trying this. But then again: I'm a noob. So, I decided I
    wasn't going to let this set me back. I figured: "let's go whole hog". I
    erased the whole drive. Upon re-installing Edubuntu I reached the
    partitioning section. Good. I manually cut sections into the hard drive. It
    allowed me to even define the types of partitions I could create: ReiserFS,
    FAT, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, etc. I was impressed because the default setup
    doesn't seem to offer more than EXT3. Understandably. And most people want
    to keep their XP or Ubuntu partitions while trying to repair something.

    So I created a root partition and a /home partition. Cool. Now to create a
    swap partition. Good Heavens was that difficult. I couldn't find how to do
    it! So I accepted the "automatic" method. It kept all I had done previously
    while creating a swap drive. It left me 10 Gb for my NTFS which I figured XP
    would do anyways. Then Edubuntu was installed.

    Next was installing XP on the 10 Gb. That went easily enough. It warned me
    very politely that GRUB would find itself under Redmond's boot heel. But I
    was prepared to lose all again in my attempt to restore GRUB. After all: I
    was more relaxed. I could lose a few hours work These were two side-by-side
    vanilla installs. With XP installed the task now was getting GRUB restored.
    In went the Edubuntu CD and I worked *slowly* through the setup menus. All
    went well and I arrived at the partioning menu. This is where I finally
    "got" what folks were saying. The root / drive was marked differently than
    how it was initially created. Rather than being / it was something like
    /media/blah. So I highlighted it and hit Enter. This allowed me to restore
    it to /. I did the same with /home. The swap drive was untouched and needed
    no modification. I set / as the boot partition. Then I saved the setup.

    From there I moved to the GRUB setup and forced it to install GRUB. From
    there I went to exit the setup. It warned me that nothing was set up and
    that things might not work properly. Fine. Reboot found GRUB restored,
    Edubuntu and XP bootable. Yay!!!!

    I know I'm a noob. But it's such a hoot to have the "light" go on and
    overcome the apparently impossible.

    Cheers!

    ::Surfer::

    ::Surfer:: Guest