Professional Web Applications Themes

Passing Variables - Macromedia Flash Data Integration

Hi there, I just managed to install apache2 webserver with php 4.3.8. I'm developing some php files. Previously I used an external webserver but it's easier when I develop on my own internal server. On the external server my code works fine. Now there is a (simple?) problem. I made some changes to the php.ini file so my code should work on my server. But there's still one thing I don't manage to get fixed. I use to pass variables between some files using f.e. main.php?name=rob In main.php I check wether the var is passed by using this code: if ...

  1. #1

    Default passing variables

    Hi there,

    I just managed to install apache2 webserver with php 4.3.8. I'm developing
    some php files. Previously I used an external webserver but it's easier
    when I develop on my own internal server. On the external server my code
    works fine.

    Now there is a (simple?) problem. I made some changes to the php.ini file
    so my code should work on my server. But there's still one thing I don't
    manage to get fixed. I use to pass variables between some files using f.e.
    main.php?name=rob

    In main.php I check wether the var is passed by using this code:

    if ($name) {
    do somethting
    }

    When I don't pass the var, but call main.php, I get an error:
    Notice: Undefined variable: name in
    D:\webserv\Apache2\htdocs\bb\desite\main.php on line 123

    On the old server this error didn't occur.

    I suspect this is a simple php.ini file setting, but I can't find wich one.
    Can anybody help?

    --
    Rob
    26-8-2004 14:17:15

  2. #2

    Default Re: passing variables

    "LegeDoos" <legedoos__ANTISPAM__hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1gcbukylhnhnn$.9lt2ry6v04rb$.dlg40tude.net.. .
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I just managed to install apache2 webserver with php 4.3.8. I'm developing
    > some php files. Previously I used an external webserver but it's easier
    > when I develop on my own internal server. On the external server my code
    > works fine.
    >
    > Now there is a (simple?) problem. I made some changes to the php.ini file
    > so my code should work on my server. But there's still one thing I don't
    > manage to get fixed. I use to pass variables between some files using f.e.
    > main.php?name=rob
    >
    > In main.php I check wether the var is passed by using this code:
    >
    > if ($name) {
    > do somethting
    > }

    It would appear that your new setup does not have register_globals turned
    on.

    You should leave it off and change your code that you have modeled after the
    above example to use $_GET['name'] rather than relying upon register_globals
    being on.

    See
    [url]http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ini.sect.data-handling.php#ini.register-globals[/url]

    - Virgil

    Virgil Green Guest

  3. #3

    Op Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:47:15 GMT Virgil Green wrote:

    > It would appear that your new setup does not have register_globals turned
    > on.
    The register_global settings is turned on. I seems that when I call
    if ($name) {
    do somethting
    }
    there's a problem with the if statement. It's correct that the $name var
    doesn't exist (I don't pass the var). I wan't the code to do nothing when
    the var isn't passed, but I get the error as mentioned in my previous post.

    You know another setting that can cause this?
    > You should leave it off and change your code that you have modeled after the
    > above example to use $_GET['name'] rather than relying upon register_globals
    > being on.
    >
    > See
    > [url]http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ini.sect.data-handling.php#ini.register-globals[/url]
    I'm planning to develop an v2 of my code. I wan't to program it the right
    way. However, I need the old code running on my server.

    Regards,

    --
    Rob
    26-8-2004 15:04:17

  4. #4

    > Op Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:47:15 GMT Virgil Green wrote:
    >

    > > It would appear that your new setup does not have register_globals
    turned
    > > on.
    >
    > The register_global settings is turned on. I seems that when I call
    > if ($name) {
    > do somethting
    > }
    > there's a problem with the if statement. It's correct that the $name var
    > doesn't exist (I don't pass the var). I wan't the code to do nothing when
    > the var isn't passed, but I get the error as mentioned in my previous
    post.

    > You know another setting that can cause this?
    Oh, you should probably be using isset() rather than just checking for a
    value. With the added explanation, it appear you just want the Notice to go
    away. In that case, see the error_reporting setting as described at
    [url]http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.errorfunc.php#ini.error-reporting[/url]

    - Virgil

    Virgil Green Guest

  5. #5

    Op Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:36:46 GMT schreef Virgil Green:
    > "LegeDoos" <legedoos__ANTISPAM__hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Op Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:47:15 GMT Virgil Green wrote:
    >>

    >>> It would appear that your new setup does not have register_globals
    > turned
    >>> on.
    >>
    >> The register_global settings is turned on. I seems that when I call
    >> if ($name) {
    >> do somethting
    >> }
    >> there's a problem with the if statement. It's correct that the $name var
    >> doesn't exist (I don't pass the var). I wan't the code to do nothing when
    >> the var isn't passed, but I get the error as mentioned in my previous
    > post.
    >>
    >> You know another setting that can cause this?
    >
    > Oh, you should probably be using isset() rather than just checking for a
    > value. With the added explanation, it appear you just want the Notice to go
    > away. In that case, see the error_reporting setting as described at
    > [url]http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.errorfunc.php#ini.error-reporting[/url]
    >
    > - Virgil
    Thanks! I will rewrite my code and use the isset() function. That's a
    better idea I think!

    --
    Rob
    30-8-2004 9:32:12

  6. #6

    I am just beginning with ColdFusion and it doesn't seem to want to cooperate
    with me. I am trying to build a front-end website for a database that holds
    information about renters and equipment for a TV station. I performed a very
    simple query that selects all the available renters and was able to display the
    recordset in a drop down menu. I want the user to be able to select a name from
    that list and pass it to other pages so that I can schedule a checkout for the
    renter. Those complicated actions will by done by stored procedures, but for
    now when I preview the pages in the browser I am able to pick a name and tell
    it to go the next page, but nothing shows up in my table there and the
    ..RecordCount displays zero! I followed the directions exactly from a 'How To
    Use Macromedia Dreamweaver MX $ Fireworks' book by Lon Coley, but no go. I
    attached my code from the first page and the second page. Help please?

    <cfquery name="RentList" datasource="Monkey">
    SELECT *
    FROM dbo.View_all_renters
    ORDER BY FirstName ASC
    </cfquery>
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <head>
    <title>Untitled Doent</title>
    </head>

    <form name="FirstName" method="get"
    action="RenterDetail.cfm?FirstName=#FirstName#">
    <select name="FirstName">
    <cfoutput query="RentList">
    <option value="#RentList.FirstName#">#RentList.FirstName#</option>
    </cfoutput>
    </select>
    </form>
    <form name="FirstName" method="get" action="RenterDetail.cfm">
    <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Go!">
    </form>

    This is the code for the second page:

    <cfparam name="URL.FirstName" default="1">
    <cfquery name="SomeDet" datasource="Monkey">
    SELECT *
    FROM dbo.Renters
    WHERE FirstName = '#URL.FirstName#'</cfquery>

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <head>
    <title>Untitled Doent</title>
    </head>

    <cfoutput query="SomeDet">
    </cfoutput>

    FeyBaby Guest

  7. #7

    This is a really simple error. You have enclosed your select field and your
    submit button in different form blocks.

    Also, you cannot pass the variable from the slect field on the end of the
    action in the form as it does not know it yet. So to deal with the results you
    need to look for the variable FORM.FirstName not URL.FirstName as that is what
    will be passed via the form.

    so your code should look like this.

    HTH

    <cfquery name="RentList" datasource="Monkey">
    SELECT *
    FROM dbo.View_all_renters
    ORDER BY FirstName ASC
    </cfquery>
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <head>
    <title>Untitled Doent</title>
    </head>

    <form name="FirstName" method="get" action="RenterDetail.cfm">
    <select name="FirstName">
    <cfoutput query="RentList">
    <option value="#RentList.FirstName#">#RentList.FirstName#</option>
    </cfoutput>
    </select>
    <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Go!">
    </form>

    This is the code for the second page:

    <cfparam name="FORM.FirstName" default="1">
    <cfquery name="SomeDet" datasource="Monkey">
    SELECT *
    FROM dbo.Renters
    WHERE FirstName = '#FORM.FirstName#'</cfquery>

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <head>
    <title>Untitled Doent</title>
    </head>

    <cfoutput query="SomeDet">
    </cfoutput>

    Stressed_Simon Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks, that worked very well! And I got a simple stored procedure to work,
    based on the fixes in that code!
    Unfortunately I have another problem... sorry to be asking such beginner
    questions. I'm in a databases class and our prof gave us a very small amount of
    time to learn how to make a front end for a large database.
    Anyway, now my question is if I have a stored procedure that requires more
    than one variable to be passed in, how do I do that? Right now I have two
    seperate drop down menus on the first page, one for the first name and one for
    the last name. I want to send them to the second page but once again I do not
    think they are being passed. They are in the same form this time, so I think it
    might be something I've done wrong in naming them in the <select>, but I'm not
    sure. The second page is supposed to read in the first and last name into two
    seperate stored procedures and display a simple table.

    Help please! Thank you!

    This is the code for the first page:

    <cfquery name="RentList" datasource="Monkey">
    SELECT *
    FROM dbo.View_all_renters
    ORDER BY FirstName ASC
    </cfquery>
    <cfquery name="LastN" datasource="Monkey">
    SELECT LastName
    FROM dbo.View_all_renters
    ORDER BY LastName ASC
    </cfquery>

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <head>
    <title>Untitled Doent</title>
    </head>

    <form name="FirstName" method="get" action="RenterDetail.cfm">
    <select name="FirstName">
    <cfoutput query="RentList">
    <option value="#RentList.FirstName#">#RentList.FirstName#</option>
    </cfoutput>
    </select>
    <select name="FirstName">
    <cfoutput query="LastN">
    <option value="#LastN.LastName#">#LastN.LastName#</option>
    </cfoutput> </select>
    <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Go!">
    </form>

    And here is the code for the second page. For testing I left out the code for
    the tables and just inserted a record count for each stored procedure:

    <CFSTOREDPROC procedure="dbo.Find_renter_info" datasource="Monkey">
    <CFPROCPARAM type="IN" dbvarname="First_name" value="#First_name#"
    cfsqltype="CF_SQL_VARCHAR">
    <CFPROCPARAM type="IN" dbvarname="Last_name" value="#Last_name#"
    cfsqltype="CF_SQL_VARCHAR">
    <CFPROCRESULT name="RentInfo">
    </CFSTOREDPROC>
    <CFSTOREDPROC procedure="dbo.Find_Renter_Certification" datasource="Monkey">
    <CFPROCPARAM type="IN" dbvarname="First_name" value="#First_name#"
    cfsqltype="CF_SQL_VARCHAR">
    <CFPROCPARAM type="IN" dbvarname="Last_name" value="#Last_name#"
    cfsqltype="CF_SQL_VARCHAR">
    <CFPROCRESULT name="RentCertInfo">
    </CFSTOREDPROC><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

  9. #9

    Your select fields are both named "FirstName".
    Kronin555 Guest

  10. #10

    I am trying to pass variables between either two Flex applications and from a .cfm page into a flex application.
    Is there a doentation with examples to help out. Thx
    fastlife Guest

  11. #11

    That is two entirely different situations. To pass data from CF to Flex, you
    will need to use a data service, such as HTTPService, WebService, or
    RemoteObject.

    Also, you can pass data to a Flex app in the url querystring.

    Passing data between two independent applications, that is, two different
    Flash Player instances, you will use Local Shared Objects.

    Tracy

    ntsiii Guest

  12. #12

    Thank you Tracy,
    LSO was what I was looking for passing variables from one Flex app to another.
    However, I am not sure how I can use remote object to pass a variable from a
    cfm page to flex app when flex is not initiating the request. In simpler terms
    I would like to run the login info on the cfm page and pass a successful login
    with info to a flex application. Do I use remote object for this process?

    Thx
    Haluk

    fastlife Guest

  13. #13

    If I am understanding correctly, you are displaying a login using cf, then
    starting the Flex app based on successfult login, and want to start the Flex
    app using some initial data?

    If that is corect, then pass the initial data to Flex using the url query
    string parameters.
    [url]http://www.cflex.net/showfiledetails.cfm?ObjectID=198[/url]

    If your initial data is not suitable (too big?) for querystring passing, have
    your Flex app call back to the server for it when it initializes. You can use
    any of the three data services for this.

    Tracy

    ntsiii Guest

  14. #14

    I'm a beginner with MX 2004 Prof. so bare with me. :o

    I want to pass a variable from the previous page to a menu in my movie, which
    in turn, passes the same variable to the movie clip that corresponds with the
    menu item that is clicked. It sounds easy enough to me, but I don't know
    ActionScript and I don't know exactly where to begin. I thought about using a
    client-side cookie, but I can't depend on cookies being turned on.

    Also, I'm using a style sheet on a text field, and I can't seem to get the
    background the color I want, (black). (See attached code)

    Here's the movie I'm working on. I haven't put a preloader on it yet, so it
    starts rather abruptly after loading. (344kb)
    [url]http://www.tonylail.com/SportsTracker.html[/url]

    Any ideas or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

    // create the new StyleSheet object
    var styles = new TextField.StyleSheet();

    styles.setStyle("html",
    {fontFamily: 'Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif',
    fontSize: '12px',
    color: '#99FF66'});

    styles.setStyle("body",
    { color: '#000000' });

    styles.setStyle("td",
    {fontFamily: 'Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif',
    fontSize: '10pt',
    color: '#99FF66'});

    // set the TextAreaInstance.styleSheet property to the newly defined
    // styleSheet object named styles
    MainPg.styleSheet=styles;
    MainPg.html=true;

    // Load text to display and define onLoad handler
    var myVars:LoadVars = new LoadVars();
    myVars.load("Main_old.htm");
    myVars.onData = function(content) {
    _root.MainPg.text = content;
    };

    TMLDaCo Guest

  15. #15

    1. I do not think Flash TextFields support all HTML tags but rather a
    subset. I believe the subset is anchor, bold, break, font, image, italic,
    list, paragraph, text format, span and underline.

    For background color you may want to change the text field instance
    property.
    myTextField_txt.background = true
    myTextField_txt.backgroundColor = 0x000000

    2. Not sure what menu means in terms of Flash objects as they can be
    MovieClips or Components.

    But for MovieClips with instance names you can reference variables at
    various levels in Flash. You need to think in terms of nested "instance
    named" timelines as one approach.

    myMovieClipOnRoot.message = "Hello World"

    myMovieClipOnRoot.myMovieClipInsideIt.message = "Hello World"

    3. How are pages handled?
    a. All in the same Swf.
    1. Each in a MovieClip
    2. Each on a frame on the main time line.
    3. Combinations
    b. In multiple Swfs loaded in by a master Swf.
    c. Combinations of all of the above

    --
    Lon Hosford
    [url]www.lonhosford.com[/url]
    "TMLDaCo" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
[...]

    Motion Maker Guest

  16. #16

    I have mutiple tabs in a coldfusion flash form but for some reason I can't seem
    to get the variables passed to the pages that will display the resulting data.
    The funny part about this is that when I display the values right before
    passing them they are correct, but when the page that receives the values comes
    up I get this:
    The value "_level0._obj0._Panel2.tab1._VBox4._VBox5._obj0._o bj1.st_dateA"
    could not be converted to a date.

    Here is some of the code.

    <cfsavecontent variable="AreaVal">
    var st_dateA = st_dateA.text;
    var en_dateA = en_dateA.text;
    var area_key = area_key.text;
    if (st_dateA.text == '')
    {
    mx.controls.Alert.show('Please enter a start date!');
    }
    else if (en_dateA.text == '')
    {
    mx.controls.Alert.show('Please enter an end date!');
    }
    else if (area_key.text == '')
    {
    mx.controls.Alert.show('Please Select an Area!');
    }
    else
    {
    //the line below when uncomment display what the declare variables
    values are.
    //mx.controls.Alert.show( st_dateA + "-" + en_dateA + "-" + area_key);

    //this line below get the page and passes the defined variables above

    mx.core.Application.getURL("http://www.stericycleweb.com/report_dest_area.cfm",
    "_parent", "POST");
    }
    </cfsavecontent>
    If some has had this issue before please help, I've been at this for 2 days
    and can't seem to figure out the problem. Thanks.

    reya276 Guest

  17. #17

    Hello there,

    I have a flash-based CBT which stores the user's progress, test results and
    also collects some user data. Now my client is asking me to create a way to let
    the user print out a nicely formated report. I was thinking maybe create a PDF
    with some form fields which will be populated from Flash with the user
    information. I've done it using Director and the Impresario XTRA to pass
    variable from Director to PDF... Is it possible to do the same thing with Flash?

    I figured, now that's it's all Adobe, there may be an elegant way of passing
    values from Flash to form fields in a PDF doent... right?

    Thanks for any help!
    _sacal_

    needFlashHelp_NC Guest