Professional Web Applications Themes

Passing variables to ASP - Macromedia Flash Data Integration

I am trying to pass variables from a contact form to an ASP page to be written to a database. I have input fields on the contact page and have given them an instance name of x_txt. When i call GetUrl or LoadVariablesNum using the GET method, the items are not passed in the URL. However, If I delcare a variable (lastName) right before the call, it is passed to the form. example: on (release) { var lastName:String = "Richardson"; getURL("http://www.johneskey.com/gb.asp", "_blank", "GET"); } Any help is appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default Passing variables to ASP

    I am trying to pass variables from a contact form to an ASP page to be written
    to a database. I have input fields on the contact page and have given them an
    instance name of x_txt.

    When i call GetUrl or LoadVariablesNum using the GET method, the items are not
    passed in the URL. However, If I delcare a variable (lastName) right before the
    call, it is passed to the form.

    example:

    on (release) {
    var lastName:String = "Richardson";
    getURL("http://www.johneskey.com/gb.asp", "_blank", "GET");
    }

    Any help is appreciated.

    jeskey Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Passing variables to ASP

    I would try using the send function. you will first need to create a loadVars Object and assign your vars to it

    shellshock Guest

  3. #3

    copied from manual

    LoadVars.send()
    Availability
    Flash Player 6.

    Usage
    my_lv.send(url:String,target:String [, method:String]) : Boolean

    Parameters
    url A string; the URL to which to upload variables.

    target A string; the browser window or frame in which any response will
    appear. You can enter the name of a specific window or select from the
    following reserved target names:

    "_self" specifies the current frame in the current window.
    "_blank" specifies a new window.
    "_parent" specifies the parent of the current frame.
    "_top" specifies the top-level frame in the current window.
    method A string; the GET or POST method of the HTTP protocol.

    Returns
    A Boolean value; false if no parameters are specified, true otherwise.

    Description
    Method; sends the variables in the my_lv object to the specified URL. All
    enumerable variables in my_lv are concatenated into a string in the
    application/x-www-form-urlencoded format by default, and the string is posted
    to the URL using the HTTP POST method. This is the same format used by
    loadVariables(). The MIME content type sent in the HTTP request headers is the
    value of my_lv.contentType or the default application/x-www-form-urlencoded.
    The POST method is used unless GET is specified.

    You must specify the target parameter to ensure that the script or application
    at the specified URL will be executed. If you omit the target parameter, the
    function will return true, but the script or application will not be executed.

    The send() method is useful if you want the server response to:

    replace the SWF content (use "_self" as the target parameter);
    appear in a new window (use "_blank" as the target parameter);
    appear in the parent or top-level frame (use "_parent" or "_top" as the target
    parameter);
    appear in a named frame (use the frame?s name as a string for the target
    parameter).
    A successful send() method call will always open a new browser window or
    replace content in an existing window or frame. If you would rather send
    information to a server and continue playing your SWF file without opening a
    new window or replacing content in a window or frame, then you should use
    LoadVars.sendAndLoad().

    This method is similar to XML.send().

    Example
    The following example copies two values from text fields and sends the data to
    a CFM script, which is used to handle the information. For example, the script
    might check if the user got a high score and then insert that data into a
    database table.

    var my_lv:LoadVars = new LoadVars();
    my_lv.playerName = playerName_txt.text;
    my_lv.playerScore = playerScore_txt.text;
    my_lv.send("setscore.cfm", "_blank", "POST");

    shellshock Guest

  4. #4

    just assign the textfields to a varable in property inspector (instance name
    is useless in this case)

    perry

    "jeskey" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I am trying to pass variables from a contact form to an ASP page to be
    written
    > to a database. I have input fields on the contact page and have given them
    an
    > instance name of x_txt.
    >
    > When i call GetUrl or LoadVariablesNum using the GET method, the items
    are not
    > passed in the URL. However, If I delcare a variable (lastName) right
    before the
    > call, it is passed to the form.
    >
    > example:
    >
    > on (release) {