Professional Web Applications Themes

"Password incorrect" - but it's not! (2-Mac network) - Mac Networking

OK. I pulled everything off the Cube onto the iBook, then used Disk Utility to erase the Cube and zero all data. then i installed Panther. It *still* rejects the password but allows guest access. So, although the only machine I changed to start the problem off was the Cube, I am now going to erase and re-instal the iBook also. Sheesh. R -- (Note the blindingly obvious spam trap)...

  1. #21

    Default Update: Re: More help needed! (was "Password incorrect")

    OK. I pulled everything off the Cube onto the iBook, then used Disk
    Utility to erase the Cube and zero all data. then i installed Panther.
    It *still* rejects the password but allows guest access.

    So, although the only machine I changed to start the problem off was the
    Cube, I am now going to erase and re-instal the iBook also.

    Sheesh.

    (Note the blindingly obvious spam trap)
    Richard Guest

  2. #22

    Default Re: "Password incorrect" - but it's not! (2-Mac network)

    OK. I have now erased both machines, and set up new systems on them from
    scratch - and I'm *STILL* getting the "password incorrect" thing when I
    try to log on as a registered user. And I can *still* log on as a guest.

    We're talking about two machines with clean installs here - and they are
    definitely seeing each otehr because of the guest thing - and the
    problem is identical in both directions...

    pleaase, somebody, anybody... aaaargh!

    Richard

  3. #23

    In article <btopenworld.com>,
    Richard Burke <com> wrote:

    Why are you using the computer name instead of a registered user's name?
    When I share files among my machines, I specify the the name of the user
    on the remote machine whose filespace I want to see. Then, given that I
    know that user's password, the appropriate volume(s) are made available
    to me.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Support the 2004 Million Mom March on Washington DC
    Mother's Day, May 9, 2004
    visit <http://www.mmm2004.org/>
    Tom Guest

  4. #24

    Richard <com> wrote:

    Maybe you're just not going it right. Have you read the Take Control
    book on File Sharing?

    http://www.tidbits.com/takecontrol/#sharingfiles

    m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    AppleScript: The Definitive Guide

  5. #25

    > Why are you using the computer name instead of a registered user's name?

    With a huge grovel to everybody, I just found this out - then logged on
    and found your post...

    Everything now works.

    I logged on with the name of the computer I was looging on *from*
    because that's what the computer does by default (doh!), and I hadn't
    tinkered with the settings when I used to be able to log on before, just
    entered a password.

    But then, thinking about it, both machines had the same username before,
    which was excatly the situation I was trying to sort out - so I guess I
    just *assumed* it was using the name of the machine that was doing the
    logging on. In restropsect, it must have been the other machine.

    i have led everyone a merry dance. I am truly grateful for all your help
    guys - and now feel just a teensy bit foolish... Tom, thank you.

    It's tremendously good to know that there are folks like you out there
    to help us simpletons do the most obvious things... Thank you. <*very*
    sheepish grin>

    Richard

  6. #26

    Richard wrote:

    <*SLAP*>

    ;-)

    Glad you got it all worked out, Richard.
    Adam Guest

  7. #27

    In article
    <btopenworld.co
    m>,
    Richard <com> wrote:

    > With a huge grovel to everybody, I just found this out - then logged on
    > and found your post...
    >
    > Everything now works.[/ref]

    [snip]

    I think I know how you feel. My forehead is very flat from having been
    smacked so many times by the heel of my hand after discovering similar
    sorts of errors. We learn and move on ;)

    Mother's Day, May 9, 2004
    visit <http://www.mmm2004.org/>
    Tom Guest

  8. #28

    Richard <com> wrote:

    > With a huge grovel to everybody, I just found this out - then logged on
    > and found your post...
    >
    > Everything now works.
    >
    > I logged on with the name of the computer I was looging on *from*
    > because that's what the computer does by default (doh!), and I hadn't
    > tinkered with the settings when I used to be able to log on before, just
    > entered a password.[/ref]

    Right, well, this is why I suggested you read something to help you:

    http://www.tidbits.com/takecontrol/#sharingfiles

    When you "couldn't get it work" on a clean install it became obvious
    that the problem was sitting in the computer operator's chair. :) There
    was no other possibility - you had eliminated them! So your result here
    is actually not at all surprising. m.

  9. #29

    Matt, Adam, I owe you humble apologies for the time you have invested in
    helping me up the first tiny stair of the mystical discipline of 'making
    computers work'. Matt, I clearly completely failed to spot your steer
    towards that website at the time you made it, and only got to it today.

    I'd class myself as kind of computer-semi-literate - and the pain of
    that is that you never *what* it is that the idiot in question doesn't
    know. they can sound like they know more than they do - but it's
    vertical knowledge, and not wide.

    Thank you all. I'm sorry and grateful in equal measure.

    Richard

  10. #30

    Richard wrote:

    Don't sweat it... at least one good thing came of the detours: you've
    got *both* machines running Panther now, right?
    Adam Guest

  11. #31

    Richard <com> wrote:

    I don't think so. You did just what I said to do! You installed a new
    clean user (indeed, a new clean system) and discovered you still had the
    problem. This solved the problem. Since a new clean system can do file
    sharing, you proved that it was user error. That is scientific
    troubleshooting. m.

  12. #32

    > Don't sweat it... at least one good thing came of the detours: you've

    ....and free attention from some very clever people! :o)

    (Note the blindingly obvious spam trap)
    Richard Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12