Professional Web Applications Themes

Password protect objects? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I work for a large content provider and we really need the ability to lock and password protect any and all page elements of CS & CS2 doents (PM 6.5 & 7 too, but wrong thread for those). I am not referring to entire doents, just any selected objects needed. Many times we have to proof out docs by providing "non-printing" objects, however these objects still remain and are editable by the client. If we could lock and pw protect specific page elements, we could cut man hours drastically. Any idea of how to do this? Wrong thread? Thanks in ...

  1. #1

    Default Password protect objects?

    I work for a large content provider and we really need the ability to lock and password protect any and all page elements of CS & CS2 doents (PM 6.5 & 7 too, but wrong thread for those). I am not referring to entire doents, just any selected objects needed. Many times we have to proof out docs by providing "non-printing" objects, however these objects still remain and are editable by the client. If we could lock and pw protect specific page elements, we could cut man hours drastically. Any idea of how to do this? Wrong thread? Thanks in advance.

    by the way...I'm a content creation vet, but I could not be any greener when it comes to sdk, etc. Please baby talk me.
    Seth_McGraw@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Password protect objects?

    You can't password protect objects in InDesign. You can however password protect PDF files.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Two thoughts. First, what Teus said.

    Second, Once I send a file to anybody to be reviewed or approved, I *never*
    use the version of the doc sent back to me for *anything* other than my own
    review. The approver could have broken that doc in any of a zillion ways,
    most of them invisible.

    Rather, I send hard copies so suggestions can be written on the paper, or do
    a PDF where comments can be added easily, or use something like Word's Track
    Changes where I can see what happened, and apply the same changes to my
    master doc.

    Bottom line: PDF...this is what it's for.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    PDF is the perfect medium for review. If you own Acrobat 7 Professional, you can (automatically) enable commenting for users of the free Adobe Reader 7 so you clients don't even have to have Acrobat. There a wizard in Acrobat which can set up an email review which is especially designed for naive users. They don't have to have much knowledge of Reader or Acrobat at all. Your clients can mark their comments in the context of the page, including text edits. When they return them to you their comments can be automatically be merged with the original PDF (especially useful when you're merging together reviews from more than one person).
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Seth, will the reviewers eventually correct the texts they have to
    review? Maybe you get yourself information about InCopy, which is a
    stripped-down version of InDesign used for textual corrections in
    relation with publishing systems, maybe this will get you a little bit
    forward to what exactly you want.

    Jens
    Jens Guest

  6. Moderated Post