Professional Web Applications Themes

password protected directory browsing - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hello- I've got a directory that is password protected (hosted on XO comm site, where they use an .htaccess file). When I navigate out of the directory, and then back into it, I don't have to re-enter my password. I would like to force the user to reenter the password every time they try to enter the directory . Once they're in the directory, then they should not have to re-enter the password as long as they don't leave the directory and re-enter it. Also, if idle for a while (let's say 10 minutes), is there a way to automatically ...

  1. #1

    Default password protected directory browsing

    Hello-

    I've got a directory that is password protected (hosted on XO comm site,
    where they use an .htaccess file).

    When I navigate out of the directory, and then back into it, I don't have to
    re-enter my password. I would like to force the user to reenter the password
    every time they try to enter the directory . Once they're in the directory,
    then they should not have to re-enter the password as long as they don't
    leave the directory and re-enter it.

    Also, if idle for a while (let's say 10 minutes), is there a way to
    automatically reload the page and ask for a password? is this done simply
    with a meta refresh tag?

    The pages are .shtml pages, but I don't think that enters into the equation.

    -Elio

    Elio Gizzi Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: password protected directory browsing

    That is how the .htaccess is supposed to function, in that it does not
    require the person to login mutliple times.

    I would think that what you want to implement will be hated by your client.

    --
    Regards

    Paul Whitham
    Valleybiz Internet Design
    [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]

    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]
    "Elio Gizzi" <valelioix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Hello-
    >
    > I've got a directory that is password protected (hosted on XO comm site,
    > where they use an .htaccess file).
    >
    > When I navigate out of the directory, and then back into it, I don't have
    > re-enter my password. I would like to force the user to reenter the
    password
    > every time they try to enter the directory . Once they're in the
    directory,
    > then they should not have to re-enter the password as long as they don't
    > leave the directory and re-enter it.
    >
    > Also, if idle for a while (let's say 10 minutes), is there a way to
    > automatically reload the page and ask for a password? is this done simply
    > with a meta refresh tag?
    >
    > The pages are .shtml pages, but I don't think that enters into the
    equation.

    > -Elio

    Paul Whitham TMM Guest

  3. #3

    Paul-

    I agree, but that is what the client wants, believe it or not.

    My guess is that I need a database driven site that keeps track of sessions,
    which is way beyond this project.

    Thanks for the input.

    -Elio

    Elio Gizzi Guest

  4. #4

    that was my thought- and why i kept quiet. Did a quick search of basic
    authentication and didn't find anything to expire a login.

    in short- when folks log in they are "in" until they close the browser or
    restart their machines.

    may be a case of edumacatin the client maybe?
    > Paul-
    >
    > I agree, but that is what the client wants, believe it or not.
    >
    > My guess is that I need a database driven site that keeps track of sessions,
    > which is way beyond this project.
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >
    > -Elio

    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Ames Guest

  5. #5

    You don't need to track sessions but you will need a datasource that
    tes the Users.txt file used in .htaccess.

    Most login routines (such as the one in DMX) set up a session variable, and
    then test for it on the pages that you want to restrict.

    To implement what your client wants all you would need to do is to destroy
    the session variable on any page outside of the restricted area with a line
    of code like

    <%session.abandon%>

    Then when they try to go back into a restricted page they will be required
    to login again. Be warned though that this code will destroy all sessions.

    --

    > Paul-
    >
    > I agree, but that is what the client wants, believe it or not.
    >
    > My guess is that I need a database driven site that keeps track of
    sessions,
    > which is way beyond this project.
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >
    > -Elio