Professional Web Applications Themes

patchpro - Sun Solaris

I am trying Solaris Management Console to update my Ultra30 running Solaris9. I downloaded and installed PatchPro and it says there are 112 patches available. As this is just a learning machine I am not concerned about loading patches I do not need yet, just to be able to see what is available. When I start to download (actually after a long while, and perf monitor showing much disk and packet activity, and my router logs show connection to patchpro.Sun.COM leading me to believe files actually transferred) I get a message saying "/var/tmp/ppro-patches/patch#.jar no such file or directory" even after ...

  1. #1

    Default patchpro

    I am trying Solaris Management Console to update my Ultra30 running
    Solaris9.
    I downloaded and installed PatchPro and it says there are 112 patches
    available.
    As this is just a learning machine I am not concerned about loading patches
    I do
    not need yet, just to be able to see what is available. When I start to
    download
    (actually after a long while, and perf monitor showing much disk and packet
    activity,
    and my router logs show connection to patchpro.Sun.COM leading me to
    believe
    files actually transferred) I get a message saying
    "/var/tmp/ppro-patches/patch#.jar no such file or directory" even after
    giving another
    directory to download to OR creating and using the same one listed.
    What have I missed?

    Inet Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: patchpro

    "Inet pseudonym" <com>
    wrote in message
    to update my Ultra30 running
    and it says there are 112 patches
    am not concerned about loading patches
    what is available. When I start to
    monitor showing much disk and packet
    patchpro.Sun.COM leading me to
    message saying
    such file or directory" even after
    and using the same one listed.

    I have tried downloading patches one at
    a time, some being successful,
    others failing due to dependancies. The
    ysis tool does not seem to
    have a facility to export the list to a
    text file. Is there somewhere that
    lists
    patch dependancies so I can proceed?
    The automatic download seems
    to abort after downloading all? the .jar
    files and the directory gets cleared
    out.

    Inet Guest

  3. #3

    "Inet pseudonym" <com> wrote in message news:<NNA%a.55041$videotron.net>...
    > to update my Ultra30 running [/ref]

    OK but I used pprosetup pprosvc - presumably the same difference : >

    > and it says there are 112 patches [/ref]

    I got nearly 300 for my Ultra 2 : >

    > am not concerned about loading patches
    > what is available. When I start to
    > monitor showing much disk and packet
    > patchpro.Sun.COM leading me to
    > message saying
    > such file or directory" even after
    > and using the same one listed. [/ref]

    Hard to say. Try using command line instead.
    Personally I find these Java based "tools" a
    royal pain : >

    I dont see how you can do that. When I go to Sunsolve and
    enter a patch ID I can simply download it whether I need it
    or not - even if its for the wrong architecture.. You must
    be using a different approach in SMC(?). Patches must be applied in ORDER.
    Maybe thats the problem.?

    Dependencies are in the unpacked README files. No where else as far as I know.

    Cant help you there. Heres my experience:
    Ran pprosvc -d and got a directory with 290+ patches.
    Later I ran pprosvc -i and almost EVERY patch wouldnt install.
    The rejects got moved to the sequence directory. OK I thought
    I dont have a sunsolve account maybe thats a problem...??

    For some reason I pulled then down individually from Sunsolve
    through a friends account. All 200+ of them. I wrote a simple
    shell script to install them in the order they came from pprosvc -i or -l
    in single user mode. Guess what? Almost everyone of them had already
    been applied.. So I ask myself why say I need to install patches I
    already HAVE?? Maybe PatchPro should be renamed to PatchAmateur??

    Um O yes some of the patches that wouldnt install were for architectures
    like an Jalapeneo or some other vegetable ...
    or hardware that would never exist on an Ultra 2 in the first place
    like maybe some weird PCI video card patch for example...

    I realize that you can setup things to act as a server but there does not
    seem to be a "dumb down" switch for say sun4u,sun4m architectures ONLY
    thanks. Seems you get all SPARC or nothing, whether you need it or not : >

    Sorry Ive drifted a little away form SMC here..
    Gerry Guest