    Removed by Administrator
    Dave Seaman Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    Default Re: paths and ssh connections

    Christopher Masi <cjmasi*nogarbageplease*rcn.com> wrote on Fri 18 Jul
    2003 01:24:45p:
    > Oh yeah, why do I get a TERM_PROGRAM: undefined variable when I ssh,
    > or when xterm starts along with Apple's x11.app?
    /usr/share/tcsh/examples/aliases is being read by your shell, but it
    has a typo that Apple has not fixed.

    Change the TERM_PROGRAM section near the bottom of that file to this.
    Basically, you're just wrapping the original if-then around another if-
    then that checks to see if TERM_PROGRAM has been set. Be careful with
    the settermtitle line. There are control characters in there that
    might not travel well over a copy/paste and Usenet. That line is not
    changed in the fix, but I included it here for clarity.

    if ($?TERM_PROGRAM) then
    if ("$TERM_PROGRAM" == "Apple_Terminal") then
    alias settermtitle 'echo -n "^[]2;\!:1^G"'
    endif
    endif

    hn
    WeSaySo Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Hal Sadofsky Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Christopher Masi Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Christopher Masi Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    Hal Sadofsky <sadofskydarkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:

    [big snip]
    > More to the point, I'd like to generally understand when I have to use
    > netinfo, and when I can edit the configuration file in /etc!
    In general, if a configuration file is delivered with OS X, but not
    (normally) used, it will contain a comment to that effect. So, as a
    first step, just edit the file you want to edit, but look for comments
    first.

    If a configuration file doesn't exist, or if you aren't sure if it
    was delivered with the OS, it's harder. You can look at "man nidump"
    to check the dump "format"s it provides. The format names are the
    names of corresponding configuration files (minus the leading /etc/,
    or whatever), like "hosts", "passwd", and so on. If there is *no*
    corresponding format, the configuration file is almost certainly
    active.

    Otherwise, there is only poking around with NetInfo Manager to see
    if there is something in NetInfo that looks like the corresponding
    file.

    The book _OS X for Unix Geeks_ (O'Reilly) has a comprehensive list (it
    isn't long). IIRC it dedicates a chapter to this subject.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel Guest

  8. #8

    [email]anno4000lublin.zrz.tu-berlin.de[/email] (Anno Siegel) writes:
    > Hal Sadofsky <sadofskydarkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:
    >
    > [big snip]
    >
    > > More to the point, I'd like to generally understand when I have to use
    > > netinfo, and when I can edit the configuration file in /etc!
    >
    > In general, if a configuration file is delivered with OS X, but not
    > (normally) used, it will contain a comment to that effect. So, as a
    > first step, just edit the file you want to edit, but look for comments
    > first.
    Thanks. This is helpful, and I guess not so tricky. I look at the
    difference between /etc/printcap and /etc/sshd_config and see quite
    clearly that one is not worth editing and the other might be!
    > If a configuration file doesn't exist, or if you aren't sure if it
    > was delivered with the OS, it's harder. You can look at "man nidump"
    > to check the dump "format"s it provides. The format names are the
    > names of corresponding configuration files (minus the leading /etc/,
    > or whatever), like "hosts", "passwd", and so on. If there is *no*
    > corresponding format, the configuration file is almost certainly
    > active.
    >
    > Otherwise, there is only poking around with NetInfo Manager to see
    > if there is something in NetInfo that looks like the corresponding
    > file.
    >
    > The book _OS X for Unix Geeks_ (O'Reilly) has a comprehensive list (it
    > isn't long). IIRC it dedicates a chapter to this subject.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Hal Sadofsky Guest