Professional Web Applications Themes

PB Carbon App Userland driver does not run from desktop - Mac Programming

Hello, I have a userland USB driver application that runs fine when launched from within Project Builder, but NOT when double clicking on its icon. The window appears, and the menus work and such, but my queue is ignored. The application is based on the Carbon + NIB application stationery. What am I missing? Thanks! nlexcom...

  1. #1

    Default PB Carbon App Userland driver does not run from desktop

    Hello,

    I have a userland USB driver application that runs fine when launched
    from within Project Builder, but NOT when double clicking on its icon.
    The window appears, and the menus work and such, but my queue is
    ignored.

    The application is based on the Carbon + NIB application stationery.

    What am I missing?

    Thanks!

    nlexcom
    Neil Guest

  2. #2

    Neil Alexander wrote:

    The difference that causes problems most often, in my experience, is
    that the working directory is set differently for apps run in PB
    compared to from the Finder. This affects relative paths for functions
    like fopen(). Try checking that.

    Peter Guest

  3. #3

    Default NSControls blinking during live resize

    Hi all,

    I'm having problems with controls during live resize. I have a view which
    performs live resize on subviews (very much like NSSplitter). During live
    resize, my custom views are redrawn as expected. However, some of my views
    have NSControl subviews, which blink during live resize. I've tried changing
    the window buffering mode, disabling flush, I can't avoid it. Since this
    blinking does not occur when resizing the window, my guess is that NSControl
    does something special on viewWillStartLiveResize and viewDidEndLiveResize.
    But I cannot find a way to set the inLiveResize flag.

    Any help appreciated

    Eric

    Eric Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bqldca$r8c$apple.com>,
    Peter Ammon <com> wrote:

    And because of that, you shouldn't rely on the working directory being
    set to anything in particular in a GUI app. Always use absolute paths.
    If you need the path to something in or next to your app, use CFBundle
    calls to get the appropriate paths.
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    In article <mail-DF4ADF.23210403122003localhost>,
    Michael Ash <com> wrote:

    Never use absolute paths. All file paths should either come from the
    user (Save As), or be relative to a folder you get with FindFolder() or
    GetProcessInfo(). (and there are CF calls to find things relative to
    your bundle (the user's idea of where your app is.))

    -- David Phillip Oster
    David Guest

  6. #6

    In article <sf.sbcglobal.net>,
    David Phillip Oster <org> wrote:

    > Never use absolute paths. All file paths should either come from the
    > user (Save As), or be relative to a folder you get with FindFolder() or
    > GetProcessInfo(). (and there are CF calls to find things relative to
    > your bundle (the user's idea of where your app is.))[/ref]

    Well, in the end, they end up being absolute paths; that doesn't mean
    they're hardcoded. What I meant to say, I guess, is that you shouldn't
    pass relative paths to the OS.
    Michael Guest