Here's how I actually got this to work!:

When I last week got my first dig. camera (Canon A70), I was aware that
USB connection was a no-go with Windows NT 4.0.
But the PCMCIA slots (notebook/laptop Armada E500) was just begging for
an adapter, right? I thought so and got one, but when inserted the
Compact Flash did not show up as a (removable) drive as it was supposed
to.

Searching high and low told me this situation was well known for NT:
/ErrMsg: "No Configuration Info ..." with PCMCIA/
[url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q138/6/18.ASP&NoWebContent=1[/url]
is very relevant, but as far as I can tell, the PCMCMD.exe mentioned in
this solution is now incorporated as the PC-Card applet in Control Panel
(correct?). And this applet did recognise that there was a card in the
slot, but just showed it with a big red X.
I found no suggestions but to buy the CardWizard® software or upgrading
to e.g. XP, until:
A "pro" told me that the PCMCIA slots were not supported by default, but
the notebook manufacturer probably would have the necessary download...
They did! At Compaq (now HP) I could get CardWare® 5.0 (for free), which
I did NOT discover in my week-long search of the inter-/usenet. I sure
had been to Compaq's website searching for PCMCIA but did not come
across this fact.

I installed it and it works like a charm! Just took the first 100 Mb (91
files) off the card to my HD in 2 minutes, and it supports hot swapping.
Although fewer people are using NT today, I hope this will help
somebody.

Posted to: rec.photo.digital, comp.sys.laptop,
microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup
FUT: comp.sys.laptop

--
Simon, Denmark | __o
| _`\ \_
First, learn all the rules. Then break some. | (_)/ (_)