Professional Web Applications Themes

PC or Mac? - Adobe Indesign Windows

In a nutshell, Macs appear to lack anything similar to a Windows registry. I find that most Mac problems are not system-wide where Windows can get really mucked up with a buggy registry. The more crud you have in your registry, the more sluggish and buggy Windows seems to get. Pre-OSX was nice because you could troubleshoot by activating and de-activating system extensions, which did not seem to be many. Windows DLLs (the companion to Mac's system extensions) number in the hundreds and can really make you work for your money to manage. OSX is a much more complicated system ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: PC or Mac?

    In a nutshell, Macs appear to lack anything similar to a Windows registry. I find that most Mac problems are not system-wide where Windows can get really mucked up with a buggy registry. The more crud you have in your registry, the more sluggish and buggy Windows seems to get.

    Pre-OSX was nice because you could troubleshoot by activating and de-activating system extensions, which did not seem to be many. Windows DLLs (the companion to Mac's system extensions) number in the hundreds and can really make you work for your money to manage.

    OSX is a much more complicated system than OS9 but is ideal for any IT admin because there are so many native security measures to keep unknowing users from ing anything up. Managing a lab of computers at a school that I work for has been a pleasure with OSX.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    Have you seen a rotten apple? LOL

    rgrds
    George
    George_Bilalis@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    Lack of any creditable virus's for one that comes to mind as to why Macs are easier to maintain.

    Stu-
    I do sympathize. However, I do work for a large company that has upward of 2,200+ PCs and 41 Macs (all in my department). On both we have the machines “locked down” as you described. In our step up calls are answered by operators and dispatched out within an hour or less for resolution to the appropriate group, queued up by most severe and handled accordingly. When all of the PCs were not in this state back in the Win95 days it was a mess, people would install their own programs from home, etc… once we migrated to XP and Win2K our call volume plummeted because people who thought they knew what they were doing couldn’t attempt to “fix” their machines themselves because the were locked out of the administrator accounts.

    Updates and pushes are down remotely, etc… ala-in-all it works most excellent now.

    Your case is sounds different, however I will say that the PCs that were in the worst shape were just these ones, ones uses with a limited understanding of what they were doing attempting a fix. A little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing.

    This is in no one meant to reflect in your skills however simply my experiences at my company.

    George wrote: "Have you seen a rotten apple? LOL"

    Yep, No platform is immune. In general I have had less problems with certain models then others on either platform, Dell GX150 are a particular pain as we have so many of them, the first generation G4's 350 Mhz models were particularly crappy, they were rushed out before they were ready.
    willmark@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    I do sympathize. However, I do work for a large company that has upward
    of 2,200+ PCs and 41 Macs (all in my department). On both we have the
    machines “locked down” as you described. ... When all of the PCs were
    not in this state back in the Win95 days it was a mess, people would install
    their own programs from home ... A little knowledge can be a very dangerous
    thing.

    I am all too aware of the mindset that the dumb users exist for the convenience of the IT department. Had that same mindset been allowed to prevail in the early 1980s when we got PCs into corporations through guerilla warfare techniques, we'd all still be using 3270 terminals attached to mainframes and Bill Gates would be selling pencils on street corners.

    I am reminded of the IT director who pronounced that anyone caught with a personal computer on company property would be fired. When he was finally forced to accept a limited number of PCs, he responded by buying PC Juniors, complete with chiclet keyboards. When people complained, he used that as "proof" that PCs were more trouble than they were worth.

    Some things change, others never do ...
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    Default PC or Mac?

    </shudder> This makes me reeeeaaaaallll glad I'm in a one-woman shop. I have
    2 PCs and 1 Mac. I build my own PCs, and the Mac is used as a music server.

    Peggy

    Peggy_Coquet@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #26

    Three cheers for you Peggy. While you can afford it, that's the way to do things.

  7. #27

    > What makes Macs easier to maintain? (serious question, really)

    Familiarity.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  8. #28

    John I use both Mac and Windows computers and the reason Mac's are easier to
    maintain it simple. The computer is made by the company that makes the OS.
    With Apple spec'ing the hardware to match the OS it makes for much smoother
    system. That makes a big difference in how a computer run's

    Ed_Wiser@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #29

    The computer is made by the company that makes the OS.

    That's it's strength and it's weakness as well. The hardware being controlled by a single supplier remains untouched without any competition.
    In the PC world (an open market) there is so much innovation so fast that price / performance keeps changing to the end customer's benefit. The opposite is true in closed highly controlled markets.
    We all do gain from open markets, not from monopoly attitudes.

  10. #30

    Without trying to inflame anyone, what is Windows? A monopoly...

    This logic could easily be turned around and applied to say, the Windows operating system, To paraphrase: “That's its strength and it's weakness as well. The software being controlled by a single supplier remains untouched without any competition”.

    See my point?

    If we use George's thinking then that would mean that Apple is a closed and that Microsoft is open? No way that exact opposite is true in today’s computing world, Microsoft is extremely closed and proprietary and it is OSX that is open by basing it on BSD UNIX.

    I agree that open markets are a good thing, but all to often there are many in CIO positions large and small or in schools that arbitrary decree that everyone must live in a “Windows-Dell-Intel World”. Why? We all don’t even come close to driving the same brand of car let alone model, yet we all get on the highway somehow… I for one would find it rather boring if we all had to drive mini-vans. This also harkens back to choice and the Ford motor companies “They can have the model T in any color as long as its black”. History repeating itself.

    Best regards to all
    Mark
    willmark@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #31

    We are talking about hardware, not software Mark.
    Windows is a OS (as OSX is) while PC is a hardware platform as G4 is.
    Enough with this confusion.
    So Microsoft is one thing and a motherboard manufacturer is another. Apple is specifying hardware while independent OEMs do as they see fit in the PC market.
    While Apple was selling Quadras for many years, the PC market developed. While IBM was trying to sell NuBus to a market, this developed independently to PCI bus (later adopted as well by Apple in PowerPCs.

    So you are not inflaming anyone, but I can't agree to buy outdated hardware from a manufacturer trying to implement strong hand methods wishing to outsell his stock of vintage hardwares.

  12. #32

    Again your missing what I'm trying to illustrate. As this is the windows forum I will not press this further, just know thatas a Systems Coordinator I work on 45 PCs daily as well.

    George I'm not trying to start a flame war hence, I will not continue to clarify and respectfully bow out of this thread right now.

    Mark
    willmark@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #33

    Possibly it's also my fault trying to clarify that oranges are different to apples and that software is different to hardware.

    Also I am working with both and happy if I get my work done, no matter the platform.
    Thanks anyway

  14. #34

    Kids, of course, are more comfy with PC

    I neglected to focus on this line before.

    I would (and have) set up an OSX lab because kids are more comfy with Windows. Why would you want to allow these little deviant hackers into a system that they are familiar with? OSX's native security allows you to limit what files and applications are accessible. Using permissions, I don't let any student run games or iTunes or anything that may distract them from learning/working.

    Of course, there is the fear that once the kids learn OSX in addition to their 'comfy' Windows, they'll know how to take over the world.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #35

    Using permissions, I don't let any student run games or iTunes or anything
    that may distract them from learning/working.

    Most probably we all remember what hooked us in this game and why having a personal computer was more fun than having a Unix terminal.

    Then obviously putting a question like "PC or MAC" results in long threads of posts. The subject has proven an everlasting popular theme. Three cheers for Steve Jobs and Bill Gates (or vice-verse if you prefer)

  16. #36

    You don't have to set up an alternative os lab to keep the kids from hacking--Use a program like "Deep Freeze" which locks the image on the computer, keeps the kids from getting in and making changes once the computers are frozen. And the computers clean themselves out every night when they reboot.

    I have a lab with 17 stations and at least 65 COLLEGE students using this lab--we have had no problems with malicious hacking since installing Deep Freeze. I would recommend it to anyone using computers in a somewhat open environment.
    Christine_Krof_Shock@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #37

    Ah, for the days when "personal computer" meant "personal computer."
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12